I bought this house from micheals

asherah

My house is all finished except baseboards and deciding on curtains or not. The kitchen takes up most of the downstairs but I had room for a little sofa made from one of the seats on the GL bus. I cut the legs off and it looks right with the size of the rest of the furniture. I also made a smaller table to go with the kitchen chairs. The one in the set was too high and took up too much space. I have to figure how to hide the wood sticking out around the front upstairs window. I'll probably cut some strips the thickness of the tabs and run them along the edges. Now that I'm back to building I can get busy on my Jefferson.

I wonder if any of the smaller GL houses would work for the Calico Critters. I have three different animal families with no place to live. The Madison might work by lowering the upper floor and making the windows half the regular height and the door not so tall. The Critters are fun to work with because they are more toys than realistic mini's. The houses you can buy for them are over $100 for a large one. The furniture is more reasonable. I put some pics in my gallery of the pretty much finished puzzle house.

I did take it into the only store in town that has toys and the lady was very interested in the puzzle house and is going to look into getting them. I gave her the name and all. It's a toy store really into Playmobile, and all kinds of educational toys. Maybe she can get some.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELLO everyone, :thumb:

Did... anybody miss me? :lol: I missed you all! :( Roxxie, Sherry, Pixiedrea and Alamom you are all doing a terrifically wondrow job on your houses. You folks are just plain out artisans. Welcome to all the new and not so new folks who have since joined this forum. WOOOOWWWWW!!!! I have been doing something since last I wrote. I have made two loveseats for my livingroom. I decided to make a spiral staircase to the left in the livingroom, of course puting the little thingy back in the oriiginal stair opening on the right. Any ideas for colors for the livingroom room and the rest of the house which is painted in colors ranging from red, pink to coral. Love you all!

post-246-1253427074_thumb.jpg

Welcome home, Dee, I have most definitely missed you! What color/s are you thinking of for the trims? An off-white/ eggshell would look pretty in the livingroom and some drapes in a reddish burgundy over pale pink lace or sheer panels might look nice. Your furniture turned out GREAT and I wish I could see more of the rug.

Joane, what about the scissors that you use to cut the fancy borders for scrapbooking, and see if you can find some that cut scallops? You can use them to cut every other edge of your strip of cardboard or sandpaper and straight scissors to cut the two strips in half, and to cut 3/4 way up between scallops to form the shingles.

Hi Dee ....Welcome back! Of course we missed you! I wondered where ya were. Love your love seats amd I do like red! Very lively!

Is that little table one of those pizza things you use to get in the center to hold the box off the cheese? I haven't seen one of those in my pizzas in a long time!

:lol:

Hello everyone. :lol:

Thanks for appreciating my little furniture building endeavors. I really enjoyed making the loveseats, really loved it.

Holly, thanks for the ideas about the curtains/drapes, as a matter of fact I am using sheers on the living room windows, I used an actual sheer scarf that I have had for years. The pic attached is blurred but it gives an idea of how it falls. I am going to attached beads on the end of the rod as soon as I find the correct color. Also I will be painting or attaching something to make the window frame look neat, might attach blinds.

Roxxie, yes that is a thingy from a pizza box. I was at work and they ordered pizza and I stole all the thingys, they looked at me strangely, but I didn't care. :(

Sherry, do you have any decorating ideas/colors? The house will be decorated in a modern them, or perhaps eclectic style (sp) I thought about using different designs on different pillows to kind of cut up the red since their is sooooo much of it. Red is my favorite color.

ShySpirit, the rug is a printie I got somewhere, and in fact I was running out of ink when the rug was printed which is why it is that king of pink red color, thanks for inquiring.

love you all. :thumb:

post-246-1253470263_thumb.jpg

Dolores, if you're doing modern, add silver to the red, by all means! Silver lame pillows, silver and glass tables, mirrors, etc. Or get really wild (eclectic) and add animals prints. Either would look great.

of course you could do it all in Texas Tech red and black and add a double T to the front door..... :lol:

Hey Sherry,

Thanks, silver is the modern color and lame pillows sound like fun and I am sure i have some scrap of material with silver in it. A friend of mine had made a pocketbook with silver and animal print and I had given her the material years before. And I do like glass tables, so I guess I will put the pizza table away for now... :thumb: Everyone has done such lovely work with their interiors and I want mine to pop with as much personality as I see in everybody's houses. Stay tuned.... :lol:

]Welcome back Dolores!

Your house is looking great! Love the loveseats, red is my favorite color.

I envy all of you who start and finish a project, I get bored too easily. I still haven't finished my first puzzle house but here's where I am:[attachment=25978:july2009_140.jpg

I just realized the small puzzle house I made for thr Calico Critters is the perfect size to be a dollhouse for the American Girl dolls. The scale is good and it's like her play house. I have one of them standing by it in a picture I tried to put in my gallery. For some reason it won't go in. The others did so I don't know what the problem is. I'll put them in if I can figure it out. This is my SILs computer he gave me and the pics sometimes go under his password until I get him to fix it.

I just got the picture of the AG doll with the house to go in my gallery. I get so frustrated that my SIL didn't clean out all his stuff before giving me this computer. The other forum I'm on I use Picassa and he doesn't have anything on that thank goodness.

Anyway, I want to build an AG size table to put the house on for a doll display.

Paula:Thats really cute! I am always amazed at how many ways you can find to arrange those little rooms and decorate with the furniture. I like the stove in the kitchen!

Dee: I am laughing because while I was vacation I collected a purse full of stuff from the restaurants, the breakfast at the hotel and all over the place. Now I have Stan doing the same thing. He thinks I am nuts but dutifully holds objects out so I can see if I want to save them or not! :lol:

Paula, your house looks gorgeous! Nice work. :lol:

My roof is gluing on now, then shingles will come next. I had planned to use my Fairfield leftovers but I'm not sure about the color. They're stained with a cedar color and it might not look great with my Belgian Waffle exterior. I really like the black shingles against the purple and am now wondering if I should go for a darker color...

Joane, what about the scissors that you use to cut the fancy borders for scrapbooking, and see if you can find some that cut scallops? You can use them to cut every other edge of your strip of cardboard or sandpaper and straight scissors to cut the two strips in half, and to cut 3/4 way up between scallops to form the shingles.

Good idea, Holly, next time I'll try that. BTW, I watched Hidden Fortress until I couldn't stand the princess's voice a minute longer, but that was pretty far into the picture.

We LOVE that movie! You can sure see all the parallels with "Star Wars" (including the snotty Princess!). I love the scene where they're all sitting in their court dress and the two thieves show up; THAT would be such fun to do in mini! if someone collected the Japanese dolls.

I started my shingles. Ended up making my own by cutting down Corona siding strips that I had in my stash, which made staining much easier and less messy than staining individual shingles! (I stained the strips first, then cut them into shingles.) I've posted some additional info here, for the curious.

post-7-1253680028_thumb.jpg post-7-1253679861_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with how the shingles are turning out, but am really not happy with the gray windows and doors. It just doesn't have the effect I want, especially with the shingles which are a different type of gray. What do you guys think -- should I try a lighter shade of gray? Or maybe gray's not the way to go?

(As I look at these pictures, I'm thinking my rows are a little too close together. I'm doing a new row every 1/2" but maybe it should have been more like every 3/4". Oh well, nothing I can do about it now...)

The shingles look great, but you're right about the paint. I sure don't know what color to suggest, though. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't 'pop'. Myabe because it's more blue looking on here than gray. Maybe something more in the same shade as the shingles?