I bought this house from micheals

asherah

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a quickie pic of progress on my puzzle house...I call it "Viola's Very Violet House". The inspiration comes from my Great Aunt Viola who loved purple and would have loved this little house.

Question: Has anyone ordered from a site called Virtualdollhouse.net? They have a lot of half scale stuff but lots of rules and I find their website a little cluttered. :p

post-4159-1242233935_thumb.jpg

I took a look, it is hard to navigate. I notice that they charge for using Paypal. That is against PP rules and also the law in most states. I wouldn't buy from someone I already know is doing something they are not supposed to do.

I know....I do web design and some sites are a mess, in my opinion. I didn't know it was illegal to charge for Paypal. They probably have to pay for the service and are trying to pass the cost on to us. Too bad, they had a lot of half scale miniatures in metal that you can paint yourself, which I wouldn't mind doing.

Thanks Sherry :p

Rox, I am soooo jealous! :) I should have wallpapered. Your colors are very, very nice. I love everything, the walls and floors. Keep up the great work! :p

Here's a quickie pic of progress on my puzzle house...I call it "Viola's Very Violet House". The inspiration comes from my Great Aunt Viola who loved purple and would have loved this little house.

Question: Has anyone ordered from a site called Virtualdollhouse.net? They have a lot of half scale stuff but lots of rules and I find their website a little cluttered. :)

Roxxxie that is one fantabulous house!! I totally love the shades of purple and violets!!! Your wallpaper turned out just beautifully too!! Can't wait to see what you do with the outside. Will you be giving the shingles purple washes too?

I buy my half scale stuff at dollhouse collectibles. Tim and Kim are just awesome folks to deal with, and they ship fast. I have also gotten some in the past from dejouxminiatures.com and was pleased with them too. There's always HBS as well. Best of luck with the rest of the build-it's looking great so far!

Love the purple house! What color are you doing the exterior in?

I wish I could say I'd gotten more done, but am at a standstill until DS gets my tray made, so I'm just painting furniture.

Mornin Ladies! Thanks for the kind remarks on my violet house. I just painted the exterior light lavendar with darker trim etc. I wasn't brave enough to go for siding this time around. I took it all apart and will work on the interior some more before I try and glue the whole thing together.....I'm scared I will mess it up its been over 30 years since I built anything. Will take more pics soon!

Have a great day! :rofl:

Mountain miniatures has a fair bit of nice half scale stuff. Lots of people have been pleased ordering from them. I plan to soon.

I had one of those 'duh' moments this morning. I upholstered the little sofa last night and it was OK, but something about it bugged me. but it was late, so I just went to bed and figured it would look better in the morning.

So this morning I am sitting here drinking coffee and just glanced at the sofa...I had not matched the stripe on the back of the sofa to the stripe on the seat! I can't believe after 40 years of sewing and covering real sofas, beds, etc, that I would forget to match my stripes!! So this evening, the first thing I did when I got home was to rip it apart and do it over...much better now! When I get the chairs done, I'll post pictures.

:lol: Oh, Sherry, I feel your pain! I matched patterns/ plaids/ stripes even when I made DH's & the kids' shirts so that now whenever DH goes to buy a shirt it really bothers him when the pattern on the pocket or yoke or collar doesn't match the pattern on the rest of the shirt! I cannot wait to see how your little furniture turns out! I have the set of 1:24 dh furniture from Wood Craft I bought for the Fantasy Villa and I can't wait to tear into that puppy!

My son mixed up what was left of the plaster stuff, that came with Oregon Trail cabin, and put it on the upstairs walls and the main floor ceiling of the 3 lil pig's house. It looks fine, but it's just white. Should I paint over it, or is it intended to be left that way? On the cabin chimney, I had put the paint in the mix.

I would think you can paint over it, you can regular plaster. I'm sure someone here knows! i have the tray for the house and am getting ready to stain it in a few minutes here-progress!

If you have any of the leftover plaster, smear it onto a piece of scrapwood and play with it. You can paint over it and you can also "wash" it with diluted wpaint, so play & experiment to see what look you liike. With regular plaster you'll either want to prime it or seal it somehow, it's VERY porous.

As mentioned elsewhere, 1/2 scale stuff is tough. The dining chairs in the furniture kit are way bigger than the sofa and chairs! Oh well, it's fun hunting for accessories for a gnome house. I'm trying to make it look like the way a gnome might decorate-with natural and found items. For instance, our wall art consists of shrunk down seed packets, and I discovered that the grommet on a pair of Levi's makes a wonderful compote for the table and is something that might pop off while working in the yard and be found by a gnome. We will also be using the tiny pecan and piece of rock that GS brought me. It's not going to look like anyone else's house, that's for sure!

I probably need to do something. It's the sofa and side chairs that are too small. Everything else is fine. I'll have to think about it a spell. I'm just playing with the landscape right now

What if you were to pad a little, and upholster the couch and chair, after assembly? Perhaps that would make them just a little bigger. I haven't looked at my furniture kit yet, so not sure, but it must be doable. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

I've done all that, they are just very noticeably smaller than the other furniture. Or at least it seems that way to me. The seats are much lower, the top of the backs is shorter, they're just small!

You could possibly add bead feet and poop up the back with cardstock, but that would mean reupholstering, so I'll just shut up now and go slink back into my corner...

Here's a photo of the living room suite with a dining chair (not finished with it yet!), so do they look like the same scale to you? There's just not any way to make the sofa and chairs larger that I can see. They will have to be replaced, which is a shame, after all that upholstery work! :)

gallery_3692_2999_31152.jpg