Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great - I hope the exercise got some endorphins moving. :p

My daughter's stint of house and pet-sitting is over - so no more dog-walking for me. With the soaring humidity, I'm quite relieved ... but it was good exercise ... :)

Well, I've been on vacation for the past week - so not much exercise - BUT between running around with family and hanging out at amusement parks I managed not to GAIN weight during my vacation! I guess that's something... :)

Rosalind, I'm hoping that nasty little girls are going off to college too. As for the leerers and writing something across my chest.......I don't have enough chest to write anything. I'll just stay away from any machine that has a man around it. Will wait for him to go somewhere else. As for going to Planet Fitness at another time, we can't because of Steve's work schedule. Unless of course we went at 1:30 AM after he gets out of work. :D

I brought a pair of headphones with me when we went to exercise on Monday. I listened to Judge Joe and Judge Alex while I worked out on the treadmill and the elliptical. Nothing but sports or dumb shows on the 12 tv's. Wish they would put on the Discovery channel or Animal Planet. I wouldn't mind watching those. Of course HGTV or Hallmark would be good too. Even listening to the dumb shows made the time go by faster. i guess it's better than being bored.

We went off this past weekend for a cycling event; five miles into the 30-mile bike ride to Dowling Park & back we blew the valvestem on the tandem's rear tire and after our bike mechanic friend patched it for us we got back. Next day we took our singles out; I haven't ridden my trike in almost a year, since the tendonitis flare up, and we did a nearly six-mile sprint and my leg was fine; so today we took DH's bike & my trike to Tallahassee and rode 18+ miles to the kayak outfitters' and back, and again my leg was OK! Of course, the outfitter was having a sale of their old rental fleet and they had a tandem Neckie Manitou for half price; we now have THREE kayaks on the roof of the truck... Watching the weather for a non-lightning forecast so we can take the new baby out.

I used to love bicycling - haven't been able to do that since I was in my early twenties. My doctor said I would need knee surgery within two years if I didn't do weight exercises - they caused horrendous pain, so I just stopped and never went back to him. I never did have any knee surgery - but I still can't ride a bike. If I could, I would be bicycling every day!

Holly, you must have great stamina!

Holly, you must have great stamina!
Oh, Rosalind, I used to! Then I was in an automobile wreck with a log truck that the police wrote up as a fatality, and then I had the heart block "thing" that I got the pacemaker for, and now I have about half the stamina I used to; but it's OK, I'm no longer in a big, hot hurry any more. The distances we ride are for the purposes of sightseeing. Well, if we'd made the whole 15+ miles to St Mark we'd have gone to the Riverside for some of their blackened shrimp sandwiches... but getting a new boat is fun, even if it's used & ugly!

Another nice side-benefit is I never have any problems getting to sleep!

It's too hot & humid to get excited about walking here! Because my road trike is configured recumbent, I'm sort of sitting, lying back with my feet up & out in front, about 6" from the pavement; which is very HOT & steamy where the sun hits it. When we got done with our ride the other day I was exhausted! and we both smelled to high heaven... The rain isn't cooling things off, either. I'm running stairs indoors, but at least the clothes are getting washed!

It's too hot & humid to get excited about walking here! Because my road trike is configured recumbent, I'm sort of sitting, lying back with my feet up & out in front, about 6" from the pavement; which is very HOT & steamy where the sun hits it. When we got done with our ride the other day I was exhausted! and we both smelled to high heaven... The rain isn't cooling things off, either. I'm running stairs indoors, but at least the clothes are getting washed!

swimmed last night and did my 3 miles but I think I overdid it...in the pools I almost passed out...so today I haven't done any exercise but will try and do my 3 miles on the exercise bike...don't know about swimming today...

Shy Spirit, I'm trying to take it easy...I upped my workout a little too soon...so today I will only do the 3 miles and maybe 1/2 hour in swimming...it is suppose to be good for us...I'm working my way back up to where I was before all my sickness...

yes, Peachie, please take care and do not overdo it! I just finished reading the topic of your surgery and it's just wonderful that you are doing better, but try not to rush things too much... :p

Me, I kept my word and went for a walk this morning.

Glad to hear you're keeping up the walking Liza! Holly, I envy your kayaks - I have a lake and no kayak! I've been watching Craig's list, but at this point even if a good price pops up, it's still going to be out of my wallet-range right now!! Oh well, maybe next season!

Peachie, wowsers, what a workout! Congrats - glad you didn't pass out too!

We're on our last week of the fitness challenge - week 12... 27 pounds lost!! Crazy man, I can't remember ever dropping weight this quickly. It's been great, this past weekend we had our final group challenge - they did an "Amazing Race" like you see on TV. We had to run all over town with clues - and at each stop we had a task before we could get the next clue. It was SO much fun - some of the tasks - we had to canoe the stream that runs through downtown (I'm sure bystanders were wondering what was going on!!), at one store we had at do darts, fly-fishing at another stop, at one stop they had us do yoga moves (fortunately I know my yoga, because if you didn't know what to do for each term, you had to find someone on the street to show you!), at one store we had to pitch a tent without instructions, at a restaurant we had to construct a 575 calorie meal from the stuff they had set out on a table... it was a blast! And best of all - OUR TEAM FINISHED FIRST!!! We've taken first place for 2 of the 3 challenges... and second place for the other! So cool!!

I'm going to try and run my four miles every night I can this week... the final weigh-in will be next week... wish me luck!! There are a lot of competitive people doing this and you can tell a lot of them have lost a LOT of weight!! I'm thrilled to have come so far, but BOY would I love to win the five grand!!

It really sounds like you did have fun, Jen! Make sure to keep up the good work even after the challenge is over and remember that, even if you don't win first place, you are still a winner! :p

I'm trying to walk longer distances now to build up my endurance, but that only means that I walked 15 minutes at a brisk pace this morning - longer distance than I've done on a walk ever. Not much, but I do intend to keep going. I have a goal by the end of the school year in June, and I plan to increase my energy level and endurance until I reach it! :woohoo:

Jen, you are amazing! What a great job you and your team are doing - Bravo! :p

Kudos to Peachie and Liza, too. :lol:

I think I need to step up my own program - I've gained a few pounds, and it shows! :woohoo:

If our DS#2 & his wife rented a kayak to paddle every weekend for a year they could afford to buy their own GOOD used tandem kayak, plus paddles & PFDs! There's just nowhere at their house to stow the kayak, and their Homeowners' Association would never let them store it outside (we have a double set of sawhorses in the front yard for all of ours).

Today DH & I got to go to the opthamologist to get our cataracts checked; they're still much too small for surgery, and our eyes are otherwise totally healthy (the inside back of the eyeball shows up a LOT of diseases and general degenerative conditions before symptoms show up other places!); we are now on a three-times-a- year schedule.