Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

I have never been one for an exercise program. I have been doing a lot of housework that I had been putting off for a variety of reasons and boy have my muscles been feeling it. Have lost about 12 pounds that I gained over winter and now since DH has had all his health problems he has gained back the 20 lbs he lost two years ago. We have concentrated on eating healthier and I have to nag him to walk several times a week. Since we live in a rural area there is no safe place for him. Luckily we do have an exercise room set up in the basement from the time our son lived with us and we had added a tread mill so he can do it there. I just wish he had more enthusiasm for it. We have a tv so he can watch that.

I do like the fact that we can all just get the exercise in (however that may be) and still feel part of a "group". This thread makes me do that little bit extra. :banana: Not managing any "walks" right now - but I'm definitely staying active in the house, and out running errands. Even just parking a bit further away from the store helps a little - makes me feel more virtuous, if nothing else. :wave:

Did not excersize yesterday.

Today I did 40 minutes of Wii jogging. I always have to stop after 20 minutes because I get so intensely hot. Think of a horrendous hotflash if you've gone through them. I'll go cool down, then start again after 10 minutes or so.

I was thinking about the hiking and paddling we did the past two weeks; I hiked a total of 13 miles and paddled a total of 32 miles; does having to sleep two nights on hard ground in a hot, humid tent, one night without a bath, count?

I think all that tossing and turning while trying to sleep on the ground counts!

I went to the gym. I thought I'd walk a couple of minutes on the treadmill then hit the pool but did 10 minutes instead! Davinci's Inquest was on and they were doing a case which was a vaguely disguised Ted Kennedy at Chappaquidoc (sp?), so I had to see how the guys story compared.

Then I did physical therapy exercises for about 15 minutes, soaked in the hot tub, then did 1/4 mile in the pool (8 laps in 15 minutes).

So it was a respectable workout for me. Now I need to go for two in a row!

Did 4 long runs around the Wii island chasing the little doggies through hill and dale. It only took me 36 minutes, but I'm counting it as 40. I graduated myself to jogging to that fast Brazilian and Dominican dance music, which made me go faster. I was game to go for another lap around the island, but started to get a cramp in my shin, so I decided that was enough.

I've been trying to get some exercise in everyday, and just came back from walking to the mailbox, which for me is a fair distance away.

Now that our pool is open and in decent shape, guess I should brave the water and go in there sometimes. It's above-groundm and the temperature of the water is 80oF tonight.

Holly, when do you NOT get exercise? You're on the go 24/7. What a shining example to us all. :lol:

Sounds like a great workout, Lynette - go for it!

Grazhina, I used to love dancing to that fast Latin music - in high heels, no less! Now, I doubt I could even walk that fast for very long. Good for you!

Did you go in the pool, Liza? I'm not a good swimmer - but I would use that pool if I were you! :giggle:

Today my exercise will be gardening, and odd jobs around the house. Maybe I'll play some Latin music to spur me on!

Water temperature in the pool was 84oF! So, for the first time since it went in last August, I braved the water and went it. Ended up staying in about 1/2 hr with DH and the two younger kids. Felt very refreshing as the weather this week has been hot and sticky for us!

Fred and I went on Sunday and then again yesterday. I am giving Nat the day off today. Today is her official first day of summer. We will start at the gym tomorrow.

We are shooting for Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday. 10am.

Another hot, humid day today with the temperature reaching at least 30oC (86oF) + humidex. The pool was also at 86oF, so I spent about 25 minutes in there with DH and the two younger kids. Boy, am I tired when I get out of the pool - totally zapped of energy!

DS#1 seems to prefer to go in the pool when the younger ones are not around. Since he is 16, has completed all of his swimming except for the life-guarding course, and the pool is not very deep, we let him have his quick dips when he wants to.

For all the time and effort and expense it was putting up the pool ourselves last August, DH and I are both still happy that we decided to - especially on days like today!

Decided to hit the gym, due to the plumbing being out at home. I swam 1/2 mile :violin: , well actually I think I did one extra lap, but I didn't have my thing for keeping track of laps, so I have to err on the conservative side. I was starting to feel tired, so I think that it's the right distance for now. I've been trying to work my way back to a mile from 1/4 mile, so it was a big step stroke for me!

Decided to hit the gym, due to the plumbing being out at home. I swam 1/2 mile :violin: , well actually I think I did one extra lap, but I didn't have my thing for keeping track of laps, so I have to err on the conservative side. I was starting to feel tired, so I think that it's the right distance for now. I've been trying to work my way back to a mile from 1/4 mile, so it was a big step stroke for me!

Good for you, Lynette! Glad to hear that you are keeping up the great work!

Well, our group workout last Tuesday really knocked me for a loop. I've got to build up the cardio - I'm good with strength but my heart is definitely out of shape!

I'm going to finally bite the bullet now that temps are over 90 here and walk into Gold's Gym. Part of the group fitness package is a free membership there while we're in the program (until August 29th). But I work right around the corner from this place and watching all the hard bodies walk in and out I am really intimidated!! But in my world, free is free and it trumps humiliation (for the most part). I'm going to try their weights to music class tonight.

On a more exciting note - I got a Wii!!! FINALLY! I had subscribed to Fatwallet.com to receive Hot Deals emails whenever one popped up with the word Wii in it. I've been receiving those emails for about six months now and FINALLY it worked for me. Usually, I'm not fast enough, these deals fly! But I got it yesterday... a link to eBay for Buy.com's eBay store selling a group of about 350 Wiis on one auction (no, I didn't have to buy all 350, just one!) Cost: $199 free shipping and handling and $8 bucks Cash Back to my Fatwallet account. I'm very excited... now I have to find a good deal on the fitness bundle!! And close call, the auction sold out within a half hour!!

SO.... tell me guys, what your favorite fitness games are for the Wii? I keep hearing about so many different cool games you are playing, I'm really looking forward to it.

And, BTW, if you decide to look into Fatwallet, just be forewarned, it's a great place for deals (particularly around Xmas), but the people there can be real jerks sometime. Case in point, the email that got me my Wii - you can read through the thread if interested linked below (I'm Zim, so you can see what I wrote in response to some of these bozos). At least on this thread most people gave negative (red) ratings to the complainers and green ratings to me and the original poster.

Fatwallet thread

There is a lot of that unfortunately at this site, but the deals are too good for me to pass up, so I just lurk and watch.

Well, I'm just sort of hooked on the Wii run, I guess. I feel I never have enough time in the day, and the run gives me the biggest "bang for my buck" you might say.

I did 40 minutes today, 40 minutes yesterday, plus gardening because the sun came out (we had a thunderstorm early this morning though) I skipped the day before yesterday. I just didn't feel like doing it. I woke up late.

I haven't lost very much weight though. :) It seemed to be mostly water, because whenever I go back to drinking iced tea, my weight shoots up 3 pounds. Sometimes iced tea is the only thing that hits the spot. ;)

My legs have been bothering me a lot the past few days - restless leg syndrome. Seems to flair up more when they are tired, and I think the two evenings in the pool for a while wore me out. Last night I was riding the bike at 11:30 pm trying to convince them that it was time to sleep! It eventually worked, but I don't want to have to do that every night!

Liza, I also have restless leg syndrome - I rather think it's a form of exercise! (That's looking on the bright side, of course.) Last night my right arm also got in on the action - my arms often join in on the "fun". Do yours? I wonder why it isn't called "restless limbs syndrome". :)

Liza, I also have restless leg syndrome - I rather think it's a form of exercise! (That's looking on the bright side, of course.) Last night my right arm also got in on the action - my arms often join in on the "fun". Do yours? I wonder why it isn't called "restless limbs syndrome". :)

For the past few months or more, it has only been my legs, but it used to include my arms, my shoulders - basically almost any part of my body that could move! I believe that the most common problems are with the legs, thus the name.

Going to have to call my dr and ask for more iron infusions as they seem to help a lot after the first night, and I can't take iron by mouth.

Well, it's official, I haven't lost any weight at all. Having gone through several months of wii jogging, and seeing my weight go down by 5 pounds ever so slowly, during a period of months, today I got on the scale and I'm right back where I started, just like always.

Grazhina, the weight may be the same, but I'll bet you lost the weight because you first burned off fat, and then built up your muscles, which then caused the weight to go back up. You must have improved your body with all that jogging!

Yeah, don't give up!! We had (I know I'm going to spell this wrong) Jhoon Rhee karate as our group activity this morning and I liked the outlook she had. Basically the instructor said any day you do a physical activity is a day you've increased your well being... and vice versa - any day you are inactive is a day you've decreased.

I had a blast - in fact I was so pumped I actually jogged MOST of my four mile circuit around the house tonight...

Been extremely tired the past little while, so I haven't done much of anything. However, I got myself in gear and did a mile on the bicycle today before supper - just before I went back into sleep mode!

Liza, did you ask your doctor about the iron infusion? It might help combat your fatigue, too.

I have only been getting exercise doing errands, and going up and down all the stairs in the house performing various chores. Not nearly enough, but I do believe I've lost a few pounds!