Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

With all the things that happened yesterday, I still got my morning walk to the bus in, and just finished some time on the exercise bike for today.

Take care of yourself, Rosalind. Don't wear yourself out trying to take care of your mum!

Heidi, glad that Natalie is going with you now and is enjoying it! It is always better if you have someone to go with you and to encourage you to keep going. I've never tried an elliptical machine, but I don't think that I would like it either. Our bike is fine for me. :)

Jen, good for you. Don't kill yourself over this, but use it as a step to a healthier life. Keep up the great work!

I wish my daughter would accompany me like yours does, Heidi. :)

I am glad that she did. She is dealing with chunk-a-tood and she is sick of it. I think she has finally decided that enough is enough. She also wants to do all this working out over the summer so she can go back to school in the fall and freak her friends out..LOL

I better start saving money now for all the new clothes she is going to need.

I told her that she is lucky. She is young. The weight will melt off her young body..not like when you get older and have to truly WORK at it. Next I am going to work on her/our eating habits. Small steps will make a big difference!

Yesterday I painted the living room walls. I got to do the easy part with the power roller instead of the cutting in. DH got stuck with it for a change.

I did get a decent work out with the stretching while painting and later crawling around cleaning bits of paint off the hardwood floor. I was glad to see all of the dots and smears were white, not yellow. I was the one using yellow.

I mowed the lawn yesterday in place of my walk. My brother offered me a riding mower (with a plow attachment!!) recently, but I said no! Mowing and snow shoveling are two good exercises I just can't pass up. Of course, when I'm sweating to death, choking on pollen and pushing my non-self-driven mower around my suddenly too large yard, I often wonder what WAS I thinking!?!

Can't help if you're sick! Hope you feel better soon - our first smaller group workout session was last night and went very well! I can believe I'm not horribly sore this morning - I certainly was after the first one!!

You'll find the time! I know how that is...

Well, the first boot camp yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I survived at least! I'm actually looking forward to next Saturday's event... the Marine Corp. is setting up an obstacle course for us. That was always my favorite part of gym - but they are also having push-up, sit-up and (ugh) pull-up events. I'm NOT looking forward to those!

4-mile circuit this morning!

Jen, do they have adjustable exercises, so that people with arthritis can also participate? Or did you have to be in relatively good health to join in?

I've been getting tons of exercise looking after Mum. The first doctor (her family doctor) prescribed flu meds and cough syrup. A week later, she was worse than before, and getting weaker by the minute, so I took her to a walk-in clinic. The doctor there put her on antibiotics - which we had expected the first guy to do. It'll be another week tomorrow - she has been steadily improving, but not as quickly as I had hoped. (The family doctor had taken a flu swab, and they called to say she didn't have flu - we had already figured that out.) :cucumber: I took her back to the walk-in clinic, and they did a chest x-ray. She may have pneumonia, we are waiting for the official radiologist's report on that.

Sorry I haven't been posting, but there's been too much to do - I really haven't stopped!

I hope things settle down soon, Rosalind, and that she doesn't have pnuemonia!!

I'm not sure how they worked this program for those with issues like arthritis. It's kind of a beta attempt at a program like this... I know that when they have us do group activities, there are several assistants walking around to help with form and they always show how to do the exercise with modifications if needed. And I do see some people sit out some activities - like one of them had a knee injury so they skipped activities that concentrated on that area.

Even though this weekend's event was called 'boot camp', it wasn't a yell at you kind of thing - it's always very positive and encouraging. I'm having a great time and don't feel intimidated or ostracized in the least. They push you to do the best you can do, even though it's a big group it also feels very individually-directed.

It sounds like a really positive experience - aren't you glad you signed up?

I was sleeping over at Mum's - but when my own meds ran out I needed to come home. I'm taking a "breather" at home, and a neighbour/friend is giving Mum her eardrops. She will have finished her antibiotic pills today, and tomorrow she will finish with the eardrops - she had painful ear infections. I've spoken to her a couple of times today ... she isn't feeling very good ... :D

I've had no exercise to speak of today - it's been a "recharge" day. The cats and I have taken things easy. (Tai has practically velcroed himself to me!) :yes:

I ran yesterday, but not today. I did almost nothing today. It was a rainy dreary day and I found I had no pep whatsoever.

I'm thinking I may start driving over to the Lower Village parking lot and start doing the beach walk this week. It's a mile from the parking lot to the beach, and another mile from one end of the beach to the other, for a total of 4 miles. If I walked from my house that would add another 2 miles back and forth with a hill to climb. Having a hill to go up after 5 1/2 miles of brisk walking is a pain.

Earlier this evening I went to the library and loaded up on reference books to get inspiration for Ravencrest Manor and my other houses. I got a huge stack of books (I let the library keep 2/3rds of the ones I was considering :lol: ). Then I had to lug those books to the car a good block or more. They must have weighed more than 50 pounds. Does that count as exercise?

So anyway, one muscle in my upper back was distinctly unhappy so I went to the gym to swim and put my sore back in the hot tub. Unfortunately the pool is out of order until wednesday, so I did my physical therapy exercises in the hot tub (poor me :D !).

Tomorrow I might get the bike out, put some air in the tire and give it a short spin.

I'm thinking of seeing an expert regarding damage to my ankles during my days in gymnastics. All those dismounts and landings are quite bad on the joints. I have a problem that sometimes when I go to put weight on my foot, suddenly I have the sensation of needles jabbing all around the ankle and I have no support in that leg and loose my balance. It's been playing up this last week and I want to see if anything can be done but I don't have a clue what kind of expert to see. Any of you nurses know?

Congrats to all for getting their exercise in - one way or another! :blink:

I'm catching up (or attempting to) on all the housework that was left unattended to while I was looking after Mum. Boy, it sure does pile up! I think I can safely say that I am getting plenty of exercise today.

12 miles on the bike, Jeff, that's awesome! I need to break out my bike more often - I get nervous riding it on our streets - they're very curvy. But I know I should mix up the walking.

Our second small group meet went well yesterday. Our entire group showed up, the instructor was so thrilled she suggested making every week's meet time at 8:30am. :D Originally, the plan was to mix up every other weekly meet to be morning / evening to give those unavailable at one time or the other the chance to make a group meet. I informed her that I got special permission from my boss just to make it to the morning workouts every OTHER week, I certainly couldn't do it EVERY week. How is it that nine adults can make an 8:30 workout time in the middle of the week? What happened to 9 to 5 jobs?! Fortunately, I think my complaining made her drop the idea, let's hope so anyway, it's not often one lone voice can control the masses!! I really want to make every event - they'll consider attendance in their final decision on who wins if there is a tie!!

So far seven pounds lost in the first 21 days!

Jen, I think if the original agreement was to meet every other week in the morning, then they can't go back on it. I can see them changing it if everyone was okay with that, but not if someone can't make it. Especially when attendance is crucial! I'm very proud of you - you're doing a great job. :D

School's almost done, but I haven't given up on exercising. For now, I've just switched to doing at least 1 mile on the stationary bike. I can do it in just over 3 minutes, but then the resistance is at its lowest setting.

we have a 6 mile pathway that goes through several towns and parks. it goes under streets and highways and over rivers so theres no risk of cars. i went for a round trip lol. i like it because it has markers every tenth of a mile so you know exactly how far you are going.

its raining again today so i did 45 minutes on the wii fit.

Guest Nathaniel

I have been walking 2 miles everyday on lunch at work with a friend (for about 2 months now). Some evenings I walk another 2 miles as well. Weekends I have been cheating and being lazy though... I dont feel bad though because I am so good during the week...lol

-Nathaniel :)

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to read that everyone is doing so well with their exercising. Steve and I are still going to Cardio-Rehab 3 days a week. In the last two weeks we have both lost a little more weight. Steve is down to 188 from 197 and I'm at 163, down from 173. I can see the difference in Steve. His face is thinner and his hands look smaller to me. His tummy is starting to shrink too. Now on me, I haven't seen any difference. Clothes still fit the same and I know that I haven't put on muscle. Guess the weight is more important than inches, but it would be nice to be able to buy a size 10 again instead of a 12.

lyn

Guess the weight is more important than inches, but it would be nice to be able to buy a size 10 again instead of a 12.

lyn

Lyn,

Give yourself time and don't be hard on yourself - instead be proud of what you are doing. We are often our own worst enemies - lol - we can see instantly if we put on weight, but not if we take it off! You will get to your size 10. You and Steve are doing so great and doing it together, which is wonderful :) .

I've been trying to make it a point to get some exercise in every day. Works most of the time, but there are the odd days when I am just too tired or lazy to get off of my behind - just not sure which! Already did a mile on the bike today, plus more running up and down the stairs than I would like as my mini stuff is spread over three floors. Now, I'm pooped.