Daily Exercise Journal

lmgervais

I've been on my feet an awful lot lately - my son had to have surgery for his broken clavicle (collarbone). His left arm has to stay immobile for six weeks - yes, six weeks! The bone did not want to stay together, and the surgeon is worried that the plate may come off if the arm is moved. I've been staying with my son - he got a place near us - and coming home to do laundry, shower and change. So, I've been getting my exercise!

Liza, you're doing such a good job! :blink:

Holly, the job of helping our children is definitely a Never Ending Story ... I love to be needed, but not at my childrens' expense! He's going crazy because he can't do much of anything. Poor guy - tomorrow will only make a week since the op - he has five more to go! When I changed the dressing, he wanted to stretch his arm soooo badly - I had to tell him "NO" in a very firm voice. :lol:

Did the 4 mile beach walk this morning. I had forgotten my ipod had a stopwatch feature. I kept a 3mph pace for 3 miles, deliberately slowing down a little for the last mile back, slightly uphill.

I got a bit overheated. Although it's only in the 60's, the sun is shining brightly and there was no breeze off the ocean today.

I wonder if I'll manage to keep to my plan tommorrow?

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. We have the All-Florida Paddler's Renezvous coming up in a couple of weeks in early October, 'way down in S FL at the Sebastian inlet. We'll leave the Friday before and stop at a couple of State Parks to paddle & hike on the way down, also to visit DH's mom; then hurry back for my cardiology appointment to put the pacemaker through its paces. Then we're off to the panhandle at Valparaiso & Niceville (just S of Eglin AFB) for a hiking festival. So far in November we're going on a two-day paddle on the Alabama River that will include a portage and paddling through river locks on a dam.

Liza, what's going on with your lungs? (If you have another thread on this topic, I'm sorry that I haven't read it yet.)

I've been getting LOTS of exercise this week. My son just moved to a smaller apartment, and wasn't able to do much for himself. (He still has one arm in a sling after surgery.) Packing big boxes of belongings, hauling the same down two flights of stairs to the borrowed van, and then hauling them down more stairs to his "new" basement apartment. Cleaning both apartments - whew, it's quite the exercise! I'll be back there tomorrow - doing more cleaning, and unpacking. DH took time off work to help also - we're both sooo sore! (I admit that the really big boxes were not hauled by me, but rather by DH and two of my son's friends.)

Shy,

I mentioned it in the post "I've be AWOL" by Michelle. I was sick last weekend and now have a slight rattle in my lungs, with an ocasional coughing fit. Dr at the walk-in clinic said he thought it was viral and would go away on its own, but there is a chance that it my turn into bronchitis, so it's a wait and see issue for now. Sometimes I think that it might be getting worse, but then other times I don't think so.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Liza! :)

DS is having a rest this morning - he's feeling stuffed up and sick. I hope it's just allergies from the move, and not truly sickness. He has a bad time with dust, and there was plenty to remove at the "new" place! While he's sleeping, I'm also taking it easy - very sore and tired out from helping him. I'll be back in action this afternoon!

Oh, Liza - as if you didn't have enough to deal with! I'm very sorry, and hope it clears up quickly.

Been up to the Farmers' Market early this morning, picked up a futon couch for my son's apartment, visited the inlaws to hear all their holiday news (they had a "dream" vacation). I'll be off soon, to clean my son's floors and cupboards again, and then we have a family get-together at my brother's house - two hours away. I think I will have had my exercise for today! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello, haven't been on here since the end of September. Looks like no one else has been either. How is everyone doing? Still doing your exercising every day?

Steve and I are still trying to exercise 3 times a week. Planet Fitness has gotten more familiar to us and we enjoy going now. Steve is still stuck at 186 lbs. Me, I've managed to drop a few more and have gone from 162 to 158. Have a goal to get down to 150 by Thanksgiving. Yeah.....right......8 pounds in 2 weeks. Guess if I exercise 24/7 and starve myself, I might just make it. I'll be happy if I'm down 2 pounds by then.

I haven't been doing much exercise for so long as my lungs still act up sometimes. It's clearing up as I rarely use the inhalers now, but if I do too much, I need them again. And, too much can be as simple as walking up and down the stairs a few times to try and get myself organized to work on my dh's!

Congratulations Lyn - every pound lost is a glory in itself! I know it gets harder to scrape them off, as you near your goal. :roflmao:

Liza, I'm so sorry that you're having such a difficult time - I had hoped your lungs were clear by now. What does the doctor say about it?

I gained some weight, then managed to drop it ... but I still have a long way to go before I near my own goal. Still trying to convince my DH to take a daily walk with me. I don't really like going by myself. I always feel that I should be "getting something done" with that time! It's different when we walk together, as that becomes quality time shared, as well as exercise. We might be getting a WII for Christmas. It's on his wishlist. I would rather be outside in the fresh air - but if this is going to get the job done, then count me in!! :jump1:

• 3 weeks later...

Does putting up the Christmas tree count as exercise??

LOL

I guess it does if you are me right now.

I hope to go back to the gym by the end of January at the latest..I see the surgeon on Jan 4th and he will tell me what I can do. I am having tread mill withdrawls

You're coming along in leaps and bounds (figuratively speaking, of course :hug: ). I hope the surgeon is as pleased with your progress as we all are!

I think you're going to inspire me to try some more exercise. :yes:

Helped Mum with some Christmas decorating - up and down stairs carrying boxes, and outside putting peat moss around some bushes and plants. I hope that counts as exercise, 'cause it was all I could manage today!

• 5 weeks later...

I got Wii Fit plus for Xmas and used it today.

The jogging seems the same so far, except there are some new buildings to look at. They've added a jog in the new plus section, where there are kitties instead of dogs, otherwise it didn't seem different, except that they ask questions at the end about what you saw. Since I zone out when jogging, I only got 1 question right.

I also tried the cycling. It can be addictive. I did the beginners round 2X then it opened up the advanced. You cycle around collecting flags all over the island. I went crazy trying to find the last 2. Getting back to the finish line was worse, I fell into the ocean, into the river and off a cliff, all several times, but i has hooked and had to finish.

I spent an hour & 20 minutes wii-ing, and burned off over 500 calories according to the game.

If you get the wii fit plus, when you do the cycling, do NOT let yourself get stuck in a corner of a building. I spent several minutes trying to extricate myself out of there.