Hello from Michigan!!!!

sweetstina

Hello fellow miniaturists! I am new to the miniature world and I am very excited to jump right in. :) I just turned 24 yrs old and my parents bought me my first miniature dollhouse after almost 10 years of wanting one! I am ready to jump right in to this project! :( I do have one question....I have one warped piece of wood in my kit. Does anyone have any suggestions on making it flat again???? Thanks for the help!!

Christina

Hello and welcome to the forum. You might try to dampen the wood (not soggy wet), then weight it down with heavy books to straighten it out.

This was my suggestion also. Don't try to do this quickly it will need to sit with the weight on it for awhile. I did not think this would work when my husband sugested it to me but it really does.

Did you say which house you have? I may have just forgot. Anyway we LOVE pictures on here so please keep them posted. You can take pics of every step of the building process from opening the box to the final decoration inside we love em all! Look forward to seeing them.

Welcome to the little family, Christina. In the event that the dampening/ weight doesn't work the first time, you can repeat the process. Make sure that your surface is perfectly FLAT. as well as the item you weigh it down with. Old nursing textbooks work for me. It also makes some difference what part of the kit is warped, oftentimes once it's assembled in place the worp works itself out.

Which kit is it?

Hi Christina, welcome to the group! :rudolph: I hope the warp gets dealt with. Be patient, and leave it weighted down for at least a few days, to be sure.

Congratulations on finally getting a dollhouse! Which one did you get?

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone! It is good to be here. :) To answer everyone's question I have the Buttercup Dollhouse. It is one of the smaller ones but I think it is a good starter house for me. I am still figuring out what kind of house I want. I will also post pictures as I go as Butlerestates suggested. I am sure that will be so much fun also! :banana:

~Christina

To answer everyone's question I have the Buttercup Dollhouse. It is one of the smaller ones but I think it is a good starter house for me.

~Christina

That is an adorable house and great idea to start small and work your way up. I did the opposite. I thought if I start out with this huge house (dura-craft vh-600) then if I can do it I can do anything attitude! The problem there is that you want to keep getting bigger anyway so then you run out of room and money and there are not a whole lot of house that are bigger and now I am gonna have to like stick 4 houses together to make them huge!! :banana: So this way you can build ALL the houses out there in order of their size.

LOL! My avatar is actually of my b/f's cat who loves me to death apparently! I love him also. :banana:

Yea, I can see what you mean by starting off small because when you start off big you seem to want to get bigger!!! lol. I know I would be the same way.

I am still figuring out what kind of house I want.
I find you're more successful if you listen to the kit & build it the way IT wants. As for starting big, and wanting to go bigger, my first two kits were the Dura-Craft San Franciscan (the SF555) and the Dura-Craft Cambridge, and my very next kits were Corona Concepts' Buttercup and Greenleaf's Sugarplum. I love the littler houses because they are so coopperative when it comes to bashing.

I love the littler houses because they are so coopperative when it comes to bashing

What do you mean by bashing?? I am sure it is not what I think but I need clarity. :congrats: I will definitely follow the houses instructions but I am not sure as to the theme of the house I want.

I didn't know that term either, when I first joined the forum - at least, not in a miniature context - I was imagining all kinds of things! ;) It simply means to build the dh in a different way to the original design. It can be as small a change as adding an inside wall, putting a window in a different place, all the way through to combining two dhs together!

What do you mean by bashing?? I am sure it is not what I think but I need clarity. :D

When I spoke of listening to the kit, I wasn't referring to the instructions. Listen to the wood and what the house says to you whilst it's in dryfit. The instructions give a general idea of how to proceed with putting the pieces together, but you may want to build a cute little bake shop and the kit wants to be a Harley-Davidson dealership...