Stone Veneer from HBS

Brandon

Has anyone ever tried one of these stone veneers? Im assuming it comes in a bag sort of like the bricks do...which is actually just what I want. They seem a little pricey...so wondered if anyone had experience with them before I plunk down the money?

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index....asp&P=0724

(thats just one of the varieties available...they have several)

they are very nice and worth the price. they are like the bricks. you just pick and choose the ones you want and glue each one in place. they cut pretty easy also. I used them upside down for the sidwalk because its smoother and the correct way for the curb (rough side out)

gallery_1884_864_32858.jpg

Im 95% that the ones in my pic are the gray/brown ones. i dont remember for sure.

Yes, I have not only used them (a bit pricey, but OH SO WORTH IT!!!) but I have fallen in love with them. They are gorgeous, easy to use, and lightweight. After I bought them the first time, I have been totally hooked. I did an evil deed . . . I gave my brother some and he's hooked on them now too!;)

Are you guys using any mortar between the stones?

I glued them all down leaving a slight space in between. then i spread grout over it and worked it into the spaces. then i wiped off the excess. you could also put down your grout thickly and then press the stones into it using it like an adhesive. it will ooze through the spaces.

Are you guys using any mortar between the stones?

I used the mortar mix that HBS sells specifically for use with these. It did a good job, but be sure to spray your stones with clear lacquer a couple of times (and let dry well) before using the mortar. Also, I kept a damp cloth handy so that I could get the excess off . . . I didn't want to lose the color of the stones. I did the Retreat Cabin's chimney out of them. I couldn't get a picture of it to load in this message, but there are pictures in my gallery.

Oh, and we used all-purpose construction adhesive—the kind that comes in a caulk-type gun at the hardware store—to adhere them. Cheaper than mini-specific stuff, does a great job, and if you want to use a bit extra so it oozes up around the sides, that works, too.

I like the look of this stuff what do you guys use for glue?

I used my favorite "adhesive for everything" . . . GOOP! I love that stuff and go through insane quantities of it! It is thick enough that you can often get small objects to adhere without having to use clamps, plus it dries quickly. Best of all, if you do have a "boo boo", you can carefully peel it back off as it sort of rubbery (at least if you don't wait too long). It is just great stuff!

I have bags of what I guess are aquarium rocks, except I found them at Big Lots! in the section with planters and gardening tools.

Oh, When I asked I could have sworn that post was not there oops.
Oh, heck, Corwin, that used to happen to me all the time.

Holly, If you're the Queen of Spackling Compound, then I would like to be the Queen of Construction Adhesive. It holds light things like mini bricks and faux stone and real slate (see my gallery), which nothing else would hold, with no clamping at all, just move right on to the next bit (good when you have 1500 slate pieces to shingle your roof with!).

We've used it for siding, too, though that required clamps and books to keep it flat. Great, great stuff.

I have them for my Gothic house but have not applied them yet. I love the colour variation and the size variation. I have played around with the pattern I want to apply and am very happy with the selection.

Lisa R.

...I would like to be the Queen of Construction Adhesive....
Absolutely go for it. You change your title by going to your "My Controls" page and "Edit my Profile"; your title is the first box on top.

Holly—

Haha! Well, I hadn't thought about doing it literally, but now that you've told me how to stick a title in, I'd better think of something better than stealing yours, eh?

I thought only a real mini queen, such as yourself, got titled around here. :)

These look great! I know they say 1 inch scale, but do you think they could work for a half scale fireplace? Someone said they are easy to cut, but would you have to cut every one, or would they just look like big stones?