Doomed Dormers

Sarah91

I am getting ready to pitch my BH out the door! ARG!!!!! Ok so maybe it isn't THAT bad. Just can't get the Dormer windows to fit. I have sanded them where they seem to need it but they are just frustrating me. I swear this house laughs at me with that evil witch cackle sometimes. It's just daring me to work on it more!

Take a break and walk away from it for a while. Sometimes we all have this issue. When you come back refreshed after your break, sometimes it is amazing to me that I had such a problem the first time. Also, look at the blogs done on the Beacon hill by members. Maybe seeing their pictures will help (I am a very visual learner).

:)

Oh no. The dormers give trouble too. I thought it was just the staircases. I haven't gotten to the dormer windows yet. I just finished putting my thrid floor walls up. My suggestion is take a break and come back to it another day. It is amazing how things would out better when you have refreshed yourself.

The dormers were my only frustration and I ended up modifying them a bit with my utility knife. I don't know that they are put together exactly right but I just didn't bother to read teh instructions because instructions just get me confused so I did what made sense to me and it made it easier. Don't be afraid to modify things even if it's just a tiny bit. :)

Sounds like BH has been communicating with my Buttercup. hehehehehe

I finally just cut off the gable roof tabs completely; only way I could get the two rooflines to match up. I had tried widening the slots on the gable roof, but they were approaching skylight size. :)

I had to cut mine to fit, sand, trim...My BH was just horrible to work on. It fought me every step of the way! I agree that this house laughs at us. It's in it's nature I think! Take a break, and good luck, It does go together in the end.

Yay! I just got them in. I think I just had to back away for a day or so. They needed a bit more sanding and I cut the tab off one piece and now they look awesome! Thanks again for all the advice.

Every dollhouse has it's pitfalls! Whether it be a simple one like an Arthur, or a complicated one like the Beacon Hill, they are designed to challenge us! That's how I look at it. Besides you guys can't hear me using language a sailor would be proud of when I'm in the building mode.....LOL It helps! It really does! Along with mass quantities of masking tape, glue, and clamps!

Onward and upward!!!!!!!! Never give up!

HavanaHolly has taught me so much about building that I can't even remember it all. But two of the most important things are:

1. Spackle is your friend if you have gaps to fill.

2. If all else fails, cover it with trim, moulding or curtains.

Holly is such a wise woman. BTW, have you seen the lovely lace curtains on the dormer windows of my BH? hehehehehehehee

Deb

• 3 weeks later...
HavanaHolly has taught me so much about building that I can't even remember it all. But two of the most important things are:

1. Spackle is your friend if you have gaps to fill.

2. If all else fails, cover it with trim, moulding or curtains.

Holly is such a wise woman. BTW, have you seen the lovely lace curtains on the dormer windows of my BH? hehehehehehehee

Deb

Wisdom is what failures teach us! :)!

3. Kits respond to *magic* words.

4. If all else fails, put the hammer down and leave the room and go run a hot tub, grab a trashy novel and some choccies or a stiff drink (or both) and leave it.