What's the best house?

Paduki

Hi all:

I'm not going to buy 10 houses to work on. I only really want one (although I currently have 3). I don't have a lot of cash to sink into it all at once, but I have a few hundred dollars coming my way within a couple of weeks. All this to say, I want ONE special house. One big enough for all of my furniture. One that is Victorian, hopefully with a round tower because I like the look. I want it to fit in my small house, so don't want it any wider than 3ft, nor deeper than about 25 inches. The only houses I've worked on are RGT products so far, so they've been easy and all the parts fit perfectly (I'm spoiled from what I've read from y'all). I love the RGT Glenwood because it reminds me of the sea for some reason. BUT, of course it doesn't have the tower... I can't afford, nor do I have the room for the RGT Queen Anne, but that is kinda the look I want for my one dollhouse. Does anyone have the answer(s)? Thanks, Lena

I think we have all said that......... Pleasure has no price. I am totally addicted to dolls and dollhouses, and I pray to the almighty never to send me the cure!

Guest Nathaniel

Hi Lena,

I would recommend the Garfield, but I think it may be too big, so maybe the Pierce? Or, the Beacon Hill. These are all large Victorian houses that may suit your needs.... I want a BH someday.... I have the Garfield and Pierce though...

-Nathaniel :)

The Beacon Hill is truly special, but it may be a little bigger than you want. If you want the rounded tower and a Victorian, have you looked at the San Fran? It is a real beauty! :p There are some gorgeous ones in the gallery.

Have fun!

Lena, I said the same thing when I started this miniature obsession a couple of years ago. The Pierce was my choice for the same reasons that you have..........a traditional victorian that's large enough to display the furniture I wanted plus that really cool tower with the secret room. For a big house, it doesn't take up much space either. If you really want to give it a perfect finish, spend a little extra and get the window and door upgrades on the Greenleaf store. Of all the houses I've built, the Pierce is still my baby. I loved every second of building it and I still pet it goodnight on my way to bed every night.

Deb

Getting a big house won't make a difference in the end result. You will run out of room, and want MORE, MORE, MORE... It's just a fact of mini addiction syndrome! The BH is a good size house, and has the potential of keeping you busy for awhile. It's my favorite, and therefore I vote for it.

Just remember that the Greenleaf houses are a quite different construction from the RGT houses. You may find you don't like them, and want to go back to RGT. YOu may want to get a small Greenleaf house, one of the cottages, to see what it's like, before you invest in a larger Greenleaf.

I happen to love Greenleaf and don't like RGT, but you may be different.

Asking members of this forum which dollhouse they'd choose above all others, is like asking which flavour of ice cream we prefer. The answers are as varied as Greenleaf Forum members. The choices are very personal. I think that most of us like the big houses because we can put more into them. But a lot of Greenleaf (in particular) smaller houses are very nice.

My preference is the Beacon Hill, but I also love the Orchid, McKinley, Harrison and Glencroft.

Whatever house you choose, I know you'll enjoy it.

-Susanne

post-2344-1215349460_thumb.jpg

post-2344-1215350573_thumb.jpg

This is the house I'm currently working on. It's the Cambridge by Dura-craft. Strictly in my opinion of course, I think it's one of the coolest Victorian houses that have been made. I like the Beacon Hill but this one just has more character that the BH in my opinion. Plus it seems like everyone and their brother has done a BH. You can see it's dimensions are pretty much in line with what you're looking for. I like some of the RGT houses like the Foxhall and the Montclair, but I think their Victorians are all a little boxy looking.

A few things about Dura-craft and their kits. The company went out of business in 2005 so the only place to find one of their houses is Ebay or Craigslist. Also, because they're no longer in business, if you have any missing parts you're gonna be forced to make them yourself. The Cambridge does show up on Ebay with some regularity. Once I'd decided this was the house I wanted, I think it was about a month or so before one popped up on Ebay. From what I've seen, it generally goes for around $150 or so including shipping. That's about what I paid for mine.

I've heard some complaints about how Dura-craft kits go together. The pieces have a tendency to not fit quite as well as Greenleaf. There will be some gaps and things but most of them cover with moulding and trim and baseboards. Some people think they're more work than other kits since none of the trim is pre-cut. But I love the building process and I think the end result is certainly worth it. They look great when they're together.

In the end, the Cambridge definitely gets my Victorian vote although I'd be interested to know what you think.

Wow, thanks guys! This is a lot to digest. I'm not sure yet however. I know it's frustrating for you to see someone so wishy-washy, but I think you may understand that I really can't have a lot of houses. You see, my real house is a little "dollhouse" at only 750 square feet on the bottom level. The room upstairs is a converted attic and only about 150s.f. and is used primarily for storage since we don't have a garage. Yep, it's pretty tiny for two people! It's a 1914 Craftsman Bungalow and I do love it -even with all it's :) .

I've been looking at a MHM but came to the conclusion that I don't want my diningroom taken up by such a monster. It's very pretty and already put together (craigs list find). I do like to build them myself. I tried a greenleaf orchid and ended up tossing it in the trash because it was not turning out picture perfect like I expect. I like the RGT's products and may end up with a Bostonian or I may decide to get the BH or the Duracraft. I'm not sure yet, but I REALLY apreciate your input and help. Lena.

Wow, thanks guys! This is a lot to digest. I'm not sure yet however. I know it's frustrating for you to see someone so wishy-washy,
:p have you read the comments here ? We are ALL wishy washy which is why we all have more than one house ;) . The best thing to do is build a house that really moves you, one you really see and like a whole lot. That way, the process of building it will be more enjoyable to you. After you build that house, furnish it BUT you MUST, I mean totally MUST show us the pictures so we can enjoy the eye candy too!! :)

Hi, there are too many cool houses to recommend a particular one to you. You have to go with what you like the look of the best, then narrow it down and do eennyy mmeenny mminy mo...lol...

Anyway, why not do a search in the gallery or in blogs to see if there is something that catches your eye. Another thing that I like to do sometimes is go to www.webshots.com and type in "dollhouse" or "dollhouses" and sit back and look at the eye candy. There are some pretty houses to be seen there as well as here.

Have fun and enjoy finding a house that you will treasure.

I have to put my two (or three) cents in....

I am in the process of building the Pierce... and I have dubbed it the Picky Pierce! This house has turned into a real DIVA and has made me tear out the wallpaper twice because SHE wanted the inside to be mostly Pink!

I am sure that most Pierces are not as picky as mine and it is a house that "fits the bill" for a "one dollhouse person" (it almost hurt to type that). But there are so many beautiful houses that become these glorious works of art it is very hard to choose because each one has so much potential!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have the answer
I have a suggestion. Since you tossed the Orchid you might better stick with RGT. Consider bashing your tower onto the kit you like. The carpeting that the big hardware stores sell comes on huge heavy cardboard rolls that I'll bet they'd give you one of if you ask (I did). You can use plywood, gatorboard or even plexi for the floors.

I have built the Cambridge (plenty of room for furniture) and the San Franciscan (not so much, even if you leave the stairs out), and they also have fitting issues. I personally love to build the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits, they take patience and a lot of prep work, but they cooperate by telling me what they want and how they want to be bashed. And Dura-Craft kits are easy to hide the problem areas with trim, molding or SPACKLE!

• 2 months later...