Helpless Pierce Renovation?

Medellia

This all might seem a bit goofy but here's the story,

I've always wanted a dollhouse and my grandfather constructed a pierce dollhouse for my 22 b-day (3 years ago), it's beautiful aside from a couple of small details. Towards the end of constructing the hosue he must have been in a hurry to get it done seeing as a lot of pieces are not sanded properly, nor is the inside finished. The fact that the house is already constructed (and not by me) is making renovations difficult.

I'm wondering what the best sanding tools are to get into small areas.

The house was painted pepto pink with magenta and white trim, I'd like to tone it down a little so that I can display it someday in my living room (which will not include any of those colors) so I'm repainting the exterior. I'd should ask my grandfather to help me replace the windows and lay a wood floor inside the house but I don't want to hurt his feelings and I'm stubborn and would like to be able to do it myself, I just have no idea where to start. So I have all of these things I want to do (put in doorways, windows, etc), but no idea where to start. Is there a small saw I can use to avoid having to rip out entire walls?

I've been reading through the posts and i see that many people have done renovations but it seems that most renovations are done by those that have already built a dollhouse, I feel helpless.

Thanks,

Medellia

The only sanding "tools" I've found that have any chance at all of getting in to small areas are my fingers. I buy the squares of sandpaper, cut them in quarters, and then wrap a piece around a couple of my fingers and reach in as best I can. There is a sanding tool that I found in a craft store -- sort of pencil in size, a sanding "belt" wraps around it vertically (specially made tool and belts) and that can be helpful in some small areas.

For the doors and windows, depending on where you want to put them, there are several small knives available, or simply a box cutter (with a new blade) or exacto-knife will work. I usually draw in where I want the opening (draw around the outside frame, for example) then start cutting from the middle out to the line, then along the line. Dont worry if the cut isn't *exactly* square -- you can cover it with molding and trim, later.

Before tackling the decorating, you'd want to do the sanding and cutting in of any new windows or doors or structural stuff like that. Once you've got that the way you want it, then you can start thinking about the flooring. There are lots of ways to do a wood floor, everything from simply printing off a wood floor pattern from an internet site and cutting it to fit, and gluing it down, to making your own floor using wood sticks, to several other options..

How is the foundation? Sturdy and well-glued? and the rest of the structure? Sounds like a nice house. When you can, we'd love to see pictures. "Before and after" rehab shots are always fun.

Medellia,

The only dollhouses I've done are rehabs so I understand! First, you can do it! ;) and lots of people here will give you advice. Here's my two cents worth:

Does all of the interior have to be resanded? Wallpaper, wood flooring and carpeting can cover a lot. Make templates of the walls and floors to glue the paper/flooring onto for all the little corners where your hands just won't fit for nice cutting. For wood flooring, I iron on strips of veneer edging (cheap and easy). I've posted about it before if you're curious.

I get a little concerned when I hear about cutting out the current windows because if you cut into the wall around them, you make the openings bigger and standard windows might not fit. Figure out what kind of glue he used and maybe it can be dissolved or cut away.

One step at a time! Making an ugly duckling beautiful can be so much fun... take lots of before pictures!

I do not have any grandparent so my first though was I would not touch the house decoration in my grandfather’s memory. But if I’m in your place and my grandparent gave me such a gift, I will ask him for help. If he gave you the house without decorating the interior he may want you to finish the house. I think that If you ask him for help he will feel better than if he latter found out that you modified the house without letting him know. And also in the future you will feel better about your house. Like the others said wallpapering is a good way to hide the sanding problem on the interior.

The only sanding "tools" I've found that have any chance at all of getting in to small areas are my fingers. I buy the squares of sandpaper, cut them in quarters, and then wrap a piece around a couple of my fingers and reach in as best I can.

That is how I would approach it too and as regards to the floors, you can always by the wood floors that come on sheets to give it a flat & Finished look. You can also use wood strips that you buy at a hobby shops or Wal-marts craft section.

As stated you can do it. while you are at the craft department, pick out the colors you love best for the outside of your house. The house itself is the sentimental part, I doubt if your grandfather would be upset about your changing the colors. One way to approach the subject with him is to let him know your plans so that the next time he comes by, he's not shocked. Him seeing you working on it will make him KNOW you LOVE his gift and appreciate it. That's just So Sweet ;)

Guest Nathaniel
This all might seem a bit goofy but here's the story,

I've always wanted a dollhouse and my grandfather constructed a pierce dollhouse for my 22 b-day (3 years ago), it's beautiful aside from a couple of small details. Towards the end of constructing the hosue he must have been in a hurry to get it done seeing as a lot of pieces are not sanded properly, nor is the inside finished. The fact that the house is already constructed (and not by me) is making renovations difficult.

I'm wondering what the best sanding tools are to get into small areas.

The house was painted pepto pink with magenta and white trim, I'd like to tone it down a little so that I can display it someday in my living room (which will not include any of those colors) so I'm repainting the exterior. I'd should ask my grandfather to help me replace the windows and lay a wood floor inside the house but I don't want to hurt his feelings and I'm stubborn and would like to be able to do it myself, I just have no idea where to start. So I have all of these things I want to do (put in doorways, windows, etc), but no idea where to start. Is there a small saw I can use to avoid having to rip out entire walls?

I've been reading through the posts and i see that many people have done renovations but it seems that most renovations are done by those that have already built a dollhouse, I feel helpless.

Thanks,

Medellia

I never ever sand my houses. I hate the feeling and sound of sanding and I just dont find it that necessary. Everything ends up getting covered with wallpaper, flooring, ceiling paper, wood trim, siding, etc. anyways. I guess the only time I would sand is if it is an area that really needs to be sanded (is really rough) and is either going to be painted or stained and I want a really smooth look and feel to it....

I would try using a scroll saw... But im not really very saw savvy....

Also, I would let your grandpa know that you are doing over the house and painting it to match with your living room because you love it so much. Maybe he can help you or give you advice or pointers on some of the areas you are not sure about.... I think it would make him feel really good if you included him on the rehab of the house that he built and gave you. Just tell him you are going to rehab it to make it even nicer and to make it match the room you want to display it in. (which is the truth) but doesnt sound as harsh as "I hated how you built it for me so Im TOTALLY doing it over" which I assume no one in their right mind would ever say... lol... Or, you could just do it totally on your own and dont tell him a thing, but I prefer including him on it. This however, comes from someone who has lost all his grandparents and wishes he spent more time with them, getting to know them, when they were alive...

These are just my thoughts...

-Nathaniel ;)

Ive never rehabbed a house and I dont think I ever will. I just dont have that much patience and know how but Im sure you can do this. Ive seen people on this forum rehab just about every type of house so your not alone in this project. Also, I would let grandfather know. He will be very happy and proud to see your enthusiasm to work on the gift he gave you. If he left the house undone on the inside, its probably because he wanted you to decorate it to your taste. Dollhouses that are passed down are heirlooms and each person who gets it will add a little of themselves to it. Your grandad built it and now your going to decorate and maybe in the future your kids will do something else to it but it will always be in the family.

Medellia, I'll be watching your rehab with interest, I just got my hot little paws on a Pierce New Day decided not to rehab, that was put together with my "favorite" adhesive material for a rehab house: HOT GLUE! so I already know it will all come apart! I can understand why she didn't want to tackle this one.lol

BTW, for the curious, it has already told me what it wants and some of how it wants to look, and I can hardly wait until we get back home (in a bit less than two months) so I can start work on it. For those of you who have not yet learned to read the forum before the instructions, and use hot glue to assemble your houses, DON'T paint them after they're assembled, especially if you have great galloping globs of hot glue drooling down from the seams... Pictures will have to wait until I get home, but the sow's ear I have this time is a doozy!

I never ever sand my houses. I hate the feeling and sound of sanding and I just dont find it that necessary. Everything ends up getting covered with wallpaper, flooring, ceiling paper, wood trim, siding, etc. anyways. I guess the only time I would sand is if it is an area that really needs to be sanded (is really rough) and is either going to be painted or stained and I want a really smooth look and feel to it....

My sentiments completely!

I find sanding helps remove any bumps and preps edges to stick together better and more smoothly, and especially on trim, it just looks so much better under paint, etc. Especially with houses I rehab, sanding becomes ever more important for the finished appearance! You betcher bippy I'm going to use a couple of pieces of sandpaper on my Pierce rehab.

My sentiments completely!

Regarding sanding. I only sand my bannister railings which are awful to do and take forever. They never get really smooth in the railing cutouts but If they are to be stained the roughness doesn't show.......... much. I try and smooth the window openings and edges of the window frames depending on how sturdy they are to begin with. There's nothing like a window falling apart during sanding. Very upsetting. The edges of walls, floors, etc., I don't sand unless there's a tab that needs shaping or something like that. Sanding makes a mess and like Nathanial said, most of the stuff you sanded doesn't show anyway. Sanding to fit is OK. Sanding just to be sanding is a pain.