Aggravation and Frustration

IAK

The transformer for my BH has just stopped working. :lol: All the lights in the house are out so I assume this is the case. I checked it for wire damage (thought that puppy may have chewed it some) but couldn't see any obvious problems. This also happened to the transformer for the Arthur I had given to my daughter. Replaced it and now it works again. The thing is the one for the Beacon is a large one, lots of lights and will be pricey to replace.

Is there a way to check to see if the transformer went or not? I miss not seeing my B&B not lite up at night... B)

Irene, unplug the lead-in wire from the junction splice, the wire that connects the transformer and the junction splice. Test to see if there is power coming through the wire by putting the tester against the prongs (turn it on, of course!)

If you have power, then the problem is in the junction splice, a less expensive part to replace (or it may have wiggled loose).

If there's no power in the prongs, disconnect the lead-in wire from the transformer and test whether there is power coming out of the screw connections. Do you have a spare light that you can separate the two wire to touch to the screw connections? If there's power, then it's the switch in the lead-in wire that's probably the culprit.

If there's no power in the transformer, perform the last rites and prepare your wallet to pay for a replacement.

Good luck!

Irene, unplug the lead-in wire from the junction splice, the wire that connects the transformer and the junction splice. Test to see if there is power coming through the wire by putting the tester against the prongs (turn it on, of course!)

K did this yesterday and was no power... B)

If there's no power in the prongs, disconnect the lead-in wire from the transformer and test whether there is power coming out of the screw connections. Do you have a spare light that you can separate the two wire to touch to the screw connections? If there's power, then it's the switch in the lead-in wire that's probably the culprit.

Hmmm gonna try this when I get home later...thanks Kathy :lol: keep your finger crossed...

If there's no power in the transformer, perform the last rites and prepare your wallet to pay for a replacement.

I fear this will be the case, oh well B)

Good luck!

Also, try calling the manufacturer as it may be something going on, on the inside of it. Or maybe they'll know of another issue with it.

Great tip, if all else fails I'll contact them, thanks!

If you have to buy a new transformer, check with a hobby shop that sells trains, I bought mine there. I just told them how many lights I needed to light and they got me the right size, and it was way cheaper there than at the miniature shop. The one I got is a sliding control so I can dim the lights if I want.

check with a hobby shop that sells trains, I bought mine there. I just told them how many lights I needed to light and they got me the right size, and it was way cheaper there than at the miniature shop. The one I got is a sliding control so I can dim the lights if I want.
I like this idea.

Transformers and fuses:

I have had transformer problems but I HAVE NEVER had to replace the transformer.

--If you hve a transformer that needs an external fuse -- it is not always easy to see if the fuse is blown-- so just replace it. I have had this happen with the "house-brand" transformers from HBS. After I replaced the fuse, all was well.

--With Cir-kit transformers, the fuse is internal. If a cir-kit tramsformer stops working, turn the elecricity off and let it rest for about five-ten minutes. Then turn on the electricity and see if it works. I have had this problem also.

Hope this helps --

:p

Update:

Took the switch apart and everything looked fine there...when I showed it the DH he noticed a small "tear" or should I say chew mark on the wire....Looks like that puppy got the best of it..... :p

when I showed it the DH he noticed a small "tear" or should I say chew mark on the wire

????

Wire from the transformer to the electrical outlet? or some other wire?

:p

Darn dog! Naughty boy! (or girl) My dog got ahold of the wire from my keyboard to the back of my computer, pulled it out sideways and ruined 2 USB ports. And he wasn't even a puppy anymore! You have my sympathy, Kathi!

Terri

My Amazon Parrot is good for that. One snip and the wire is cut. I'm surprised she has never gotten jolted. Gee, maybe I should hire her out!

Actually, I have to keep a very good eye on her when I let her out. She gets into trouble real easy. Once, I let her go into the pots and pan cupboard, she opens the doors herself. (yes, I planned on washing them after... :unsure: ) When she finally came out, I looked in and the wooden handles on the big pot were no longer there!

That the transformers stopped working happened to a friend of mine too!

And the cables set on fire in her dollhouse, so she had to make new wallpapers in 2 or 3 rooms!

The good thing is my friend was not pleased with the wallpapers before!

????

Wire from the transformer to the electrical outlet? or some other wire?

:)

Chew marks are on the wire closer to where you plug it into the dh, beyond the transformer

Chew marks are on the wire closer to where you plug it into the dh, beyond the transformer

The lead-in/switch wire? That should be easy enough to replace. :groucho:

The lead-in/switch wire? That should be easy enough to replace. :groucho:

Really? hmmm gonna send you a PM