What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I was told not to use railroad ties, Holly. Too many chemicals in them will leach out into the soil. We built raised beds out of cedar though. They worked great!

I didn't do a thing last night. I was so tired, I kept dozing off during my conference period today at school! I just came home and sat in the easy chair until it was late enough to go to bed. That doesn't happen to me but about once every 3-4 months.

We went to the HS Spring Chorus Concert last night. Those kids were wonderful! No wonder they won a potload of firsts in the state competition, including several in which all three judges gave them a 1 rating. :lol:

The painter wasn't here yesterday because he had a sick kid but it supposed to come by today to do the bedroom. I'm going to try to tidy up this office space so he can paint this room, too. We've had the paint since we moved here in Sept 2005. The paint can has become a part of the decor! Although, in this room, the ceiling is painted, it's just the trim and the walls need to be done. I could do that ... let's see, if I take one wall a day ...

They aren't real railroad ties, Sherry, it's what the garden centers sell. They're timbers sized like RR ties.

We are working with our contractor neighbor to build a retaining wall to protect the back of the stupa and stop the erosion going on in our side yard so the local Tibetan Buddhist group can safely use it for their worship.

The RV dealer is having classes today for goosing our RV with technology, there's one for the internet & another for HDTV that we're interested in.

Came downstairs to a dead mouse this morning. Good thing I had my shoes on cause I stepped on the body. Ewww! I flung it out of the front door.

That is pretty good compared to last year. Last year I think we had 7-8 corpses. This season (starting last Sept) the total is 2.

I really need to clean this diningroom..again. It has become the ultimate catch all for everyones junk and I am sick of it. Sick! So I will clean it again and then do a good sweep and mop of the floor.

Fred will wake up in a couple hours and we can go to the gym.

Just had an email from the painter. The kid has strep, so he's staying home with him and taking antibiotics so he won't get it himself. Promised to put us at the top of the list on standby. Hhhrrrrmmmppphhh. The wallpaperers now have to be postponed. We picked up the paint yesterday. I think I may just do it myself today. I'm ready for the room to be done.

Going to try and watch a sad movie snuggled up in bed with my daughter tomorrow so that she will have a good cry. I think she needs one. Life is quite stressful for all of us, if not even more so for her. With her grandmother and great-grandmother both dying, and her daddy (DH) going away for two days/one night, and her already missing him before he's even gone, I think she really needs to learn to let it all out. Hopefully it will work and she will feel better afterwards.

Sometimes I get that way too. I don't intentionally watch something sad to let it out, but something triggers a good cry and I feel better afterwards.

Today is busy day at work - Fridays are always busy - then I'll come home, do some budgeting and see if I can order windows and doors. I hope so! Weekend away in london to see friends and Joseph. Can't wait! love that show.

"It was red and yellow and green and brown

And scarlet and black and ocher and peach

And ruby and olive and violet and fawn

And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve

And cream and crimson and silver and rose....."

:)

TGIF! I hope to get a lot of work done on my little house this weekend, maybe get my farmhouse back inside or at least work on it in the garage some. The guys had to order a new sawblade, so the garage is mine until it comes!

Repacking the Little House on the Highway for DH's 50th HS reunion next weekend. We're leaving Tuesday to stay at Rocky Bayou State Park and see if we can do some paddling in the bay at Panama City, or maybe the lower Econfina Creek before heading over to Big Lagoon State Park near P'cola. We'll only be away about ten or eleven days this time.

I'm going to continue to disassemble Mildred's porch. Some of the pieces have self-destructed (age, storage issues before either Traci or I got her) and if Mildred wants those parts I have enough whole pieces to make chimneys, trims, etc. Whoever originally built this house put real money into it, it's such a pity that they never heard of sandpaper or wood glue (I'll fault the instructions, though, on that one); I've FILLED a wastebasket with the chunks of globby hot glue I've removed, and LOTS more to come when I go back with the heat gun and rags to remove the rest. BTW, for those of you who MUST use the REAL mini bricks, they add TONS of weight and look like nada if not grouted (Jeremy has the right idea!).

I am finishing up the landscaping on the Washington Heights. Just waiting now for some stuff to dry. I will be going grocery shopping later, otherwise it will be a quiet weekend with us all enjoying our WARM Sunny weather. Yea!!!!!!!!!!

I got some of the grass mowed, then went to a new local nursery to drool over all of the lovely plants. Not ready to put any into the ground yet, but looking for inspiration. I printed a list of flowering plants by the month from the Powell Gardens website. I'm going to use it as an outline of sorts for filling in plants in the yard. Would love to have something in bloom nearly all year around.

I called a fence company to come give an estimate to have our yard fenced. Have been thinking about this for some time and decided I'd rather spend money on that than a kitchen renovation this summer. There's not much point in doing a major garden overhaul if it is going to be disturbed by the addition of fencing in a few months.

Meanwhile, the wallpaper ladies came to give an estimate for hanging the bedroom wallpaper. I was really put off by them as they mainly told me what what wrong with the paper I bought and why it wasn't going to look good. They kept saying, "It's your decision." Like if I didn't like it when they were finished, it wasn't their fault. With that attitude, I don't think I want them to touch it. I called someone else, who will be here to give an estimate on Monday.

Yesterday I dragged Chelsea with me around on my errands. She had to pick up a ticket at the Theatre (plays not movies) for a show she wants to go to today.

We went to Lowe`s and I found some impatiens and Lobelia.The impatiens were buy one get one free! Score! So I think I have enough for the four hanging planters on the porch. I will do that this morning.

I also found 3 black metal holders for the green window boxes I bought at a yard sale last year. They are hanging on the lower part of the porch. When I get them filled with flowers, I will take a pic.

Sunshiny day in the upper 60s today. Great yard sale day. Yippee!! There are like 50 of them in the paper. We are going to have some fun.

I woke up at 3:30, so I've been cleaning the kitchen and plastering the second floor of my puzzle house. Now that the farmhouse is where I can really work on it, I'm itching to get back to it. But I think the family would rather I get the puzzle house off the kitchen bar!

It's been a busy week, I finished installing an iron fence and arbor that now goes around our house, I also replaced the shrubs in the front of the house with new ones. Also painted our fromnt stairway walls. It's in the 70's today so more outdoor chores. :banana:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&album=3015

I've got the kitchen semi cleaned up, still need to do the fridges. I spackled the cut off tabs on my puzzle house, glued on the windows, and started cutting up egg cartons to paint, swept the entry, watered the flowers on the front patio. DS is out to the garage, so I will be babysitting for a while now.

I've been cleaning all the glue off of Mildred's miscellaneous trim pieces prior to finishing disassembling the porch (and bagging it; I've bagged exterior window pediments, which I don't think I like, and may do a different window treatment).

DH & I finished our itinerary for his reunion trip beginning next week. We wanted to do one more week at the Coast before Memorial Day, but apparently the "season" began a month+ early!

70s here today, too. I just finished giving the screened porch a deep cleaning (read 2-1/2 hours on a 12x12 room). Stopped just short of steam cleaning; I'm afraid it would take the paint off the cement floor. All I have to do now is get the chair cushions from the basement and put them on. I feel like taking a shower and enjoying the porch before the rain comes, but I'm tempted to take my fragrant body to the garden center and get several bags of dirt to add to my semi-raised flower bed first. There's so much to do in the yard, but getting the relatively small planter area finished up and planted seems like a good place to start. The next project involves digging up large flagstones in the front yard and moving them to the back.

I have the house all to myself this weekend so went and rented 4 movies and watched one last night "Twilight" (it was ok). This morning I went to a few yard sales but only found a couple of pieces of material for the dollhouses. Now I just finished cleaning the whole house, have the last load of laundry in the wash and now going to play a few games on computer and then watch movie and have a chocolate martini.

Chocolate martini?

I'm still babysitting. DH and DS took grandson to kid's day at the Ranching Heritage Center. They get to grind corn, ride on the train, all that old fashioned ranching stuff. It's quite a big deal, but I sure am tired!

DH is visiting his mother for the weekend.

DS#2 has a hockey team end-of-year party late this afternoon at a bowling alley. I signed up DS#1 and DD to play also, since siblings were also invited to play. Finally got around to finalizing the team scrapbook that will be given to each player tonight. Had to burn 15 DVD's of pictures yesterday and add the names to each binder. So glad that is all done for another year - have to remember not to volunteer to do it next year, too much work!

Lots of lightening displays all night as we had a multitude of small rain squalls work their way through the valley. The weather is gorgeous today. All the windows and doors are open and the birds and squrrels are driving the dogs nuts. This past week was constant clean up from their muddy in and out treks through the doggy door but at least that won't be a problem for a few more days. Our trees and flowers are starting to emerge from their winter dormancy. We are at the highest point in the valley and are always two to three weeks behind the lower levels. Will seriously start looking at the beds this next week for plantings. Daughter and DH are plotting to try those hanging tomato things. Anyone have any input as to whether they are any good?

If the tomatoes are edible, I could be tempted. I planted cherry toms in our greenhouse and I pull up all but one vine every year; so far I think the darned thing has borne five tomatoes; very tasty little things, but I'm ready to pull it ALL up! and dig up the planter and get rid of it's nasty furry inhabitants (when I planted Kathie's lovely gift plant and gave it a good gentle soaking, a couple of the little devils ran out the other end and under the outer wall before I could get to them & kill them).

Our contractor neighbor has been removing the old poultry yard from the back corner of our yard; when we bought the house all the birds had literally flown the coop and lived at the next door neighbors where the feral cats feated on them and the two that survived and moved back were dispatched, eggs & all, by raccoons. Anyway, we have a lovely big patch that is too shady for a garden spot that I suggested a playhouse for our power tools & my dhs like the one Jimmy Cullen built for Linda would be an excellent idea.lol

Anyway, our next project will be to build a retaining wall and stop the erosion on the side of the house where the garden with the stupa is; the local Buddhist congregation has offered to repaint & repair the stupa and help with fill dirt for the retaining wall, since we're letting them use it for their worship services.

Went to Walmart for topsoil and peat moss for the planter beds. The fence man came and measured and we came to an amicable agreement. They'll be starting work next week, removing the old fencing. I need to move some vulnerable flowers away from the fence so they don't get smooshed by the Bobcat.

It's nearly 4 pm and I'm ready for a nice hot shower and some clean clothes. Even I don't want to stand downwind of me ... lol