Quality of Dura-craft kits.

texandziggy

So I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get into building dollhouses. I've always been fascinated with anything miniature - I did some model railroading several years ago as well as model cars.

I spent a long time looking at various kits and finally decided I wanted to do the Dura-craft Cambridge. The decision was based solely on looks. I liked the Beacon Hill too but, in the end, I just thought the Cambridge looked cooler especially with what I plan on doing with it. I'm wanting to make it into a haunted/witch's house.

In poking around online I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the quality of Dura-craft kits. Pretty much saying that they're junk. What I'm wondering from people who've built Dura-craft kits (and ESPECIALLY the Cambridge) is this: are they really as bad as some people seem to loudly and often proclaim them to be? Would I have saved myself headaches and frustration by going with a Greenleaf kit instead?

I think all kits have their problems. I built 2 Dura Crafts and only ran into a few problems with them. The main problem is that they are out of business so no help if you need it. It might also depend on how the person you got it from stored it.

I have a Duracraft Marquam Hill Mansion that is built. I didnt have to do a major put together because it was a store model. But I did have to take it apart to fit in the car so I did do some putting together.

It can be on the stubborn side to get pieces together but with patience, a steady hand (and nerves) and a light tap of the hammer sometimes, You will have a nice looking and sturdy Dollhouse.

STURDY! HEAVY! Really worth it.

*there are pics of my MHM in my gallery*

You either will hate Duracraft or LOVE Duracraft.

Congrats on the purchase and Welcome aboard!

I love their MDF kits and had no problems with my San Fran. There were things I liked better about Dura Caft, and things I preferred about the RGT MDF kits. They pretty much balanced out, so I didn't prefer one over the other. Dura Craft did however put plenty of trim in, so you always seem to have a ton of it left over for other projects!

I am also building the Linfield, which is 1/8 plywood. I don't find it any worse than any other of the thin plywood kits I have built since. The Dura Craft plywood kits slide into corner pieces, (as well as having tab and slot in places), and the Greenleaf ones have only tab and slot. I don't really have a preference there either, they both have drawbacks and advantages. The corner pieces are nice, but they are a pain to cut.

The only thing I don't like about the Greenleaf kits is the doors. I wish they at least made their doors like the Dura craft ones. It wouldn't cost any more to produce them that way, but it sure would save a lot of frustration for those of us who like working doors. I also prefer Dura Craft shingles, but since shingles are relatively inexpensive, and Greenleaf kits are a good price, that really is irrelevant. You can save more by buying a Greenleaf and upgrading, or making your own shingles if you want.

I guess every company has certain advantages and disadvantages, and with the exception of Greenleaf doors, I don't have a preference, I like them all!

Congratulations on choosing the Cambridge! My mom has two of them in her dollhouse collection and they are her favorites. I myself love all the Dura-Craft kits and really wish they were still in business and production! They are definitely not junk and are quite sturdy when assembled. Have fun and enjoy yours! :yay:

I'm also a fan of Dura-craft. I've built a few of their houses and they're the first company I built. I really do miss them because their customer service was great and they really do provide more trim than you need so if you make mistakes you can correct them. Also, because I've built a few kits I have enough Dura-craft shingles, which I like better, to use on some of my small Greenleaf and Corona houses.

I have built three Duracraft houses in the past and didn't find them to be any more of a problem than any other dollhouse kit. They are heavier and seem sturdier however, it's in the way you put it together that makes it! Don't be listening to old wives tales here now......just dig in and enjoy the building of it and how it looks when finished! Don't sweat the small stuff!

I haven't built a Duracraft house, but I do own a Cambridge. It has got to be over 10 years old because a gentleman built it for his daughter who outgrew it, stored it for awhile, then gave it to my nephew who stored it for several years before giving it to me. Other than a some trim and redecorating the house itself is in real good shape. I hope to get around to finishing the rehab someday.

I am currently building a DuraCraft San Franciscan, which I loved from the moment I saw it, and my next house (after a Christmas-gift detour of two Corona Buttercups) will be the DuraCraft Marquam Hill Mansion, which also was love at first sight. There is a certain amount of frustration in building, but I really doubt it's any more than any other dollhouse kit. And of course, any less complicated kit will be an easier build than one with a million pieces. For me, I guess the main frustration has been difficult and/or incomplete directions, and no way to figure it out since the company is no longer around.

The way to get around this is to come here to the forum, read around, and ask for help if you need it!

What it comes down to is that I love their houses enough to just keep going despite any difficulties. They are definitely not junk...actually I think the designs of the houses are amazing for the price, difficult or not.

I think almost any kit can be difficult to build, especially the more intricate ones. If you really love the house, it will be SO worth it in the end!

I love Dura-Craft. I've been slowly trying to snap up any kit of theirs because they won't be around much longer. I'm working on the SFS 557, have the Alexandria in the box, and am looking at getting a Madison. I started with Dura-Craft, so to me the plywood kits do not seem nearly as sturdy, although they are just fine once put together. It's all in what you like and how you put them together. Don't let anyone tell you that a kit is "junk." Almost any kit can turn into a beautiful mini house after you have put your work into it. Good luck and have fun!!!

The very first dh kit I built was the Dura-Craft SF555 and the Cambridge (which was never re-issued in MDF, to my knowledge) was the second; and if I could get my paws on that SF I'd rehab it in a heartbeat! ALL kits have problems and issues, which I see as opportunities to grow my skills. I still have a Newberg NIB waitning in the wings (behind the Willowcrest, Chatham, Lily, LE Arthur & White Orchid).