I just got a Dura-Craft Oregon Trail Cabin from ebay

Esther

Hi Esther,

I did one last year. It was also called the Pioneer. There are some pics in my gallery. Mine was a little different - I left off the dormers, second floor railing and window trim. I still thought it turned out well. I sold it last Christmas to a wonderful lady for her three sons.

HTH and congratulations!

• 2 months later...

IT IS A BIG BOX OF STICKS!!!! I did after a grumbly phone call and a few choice sailor words the weekend before Easter enjoy building it. And yes the Easter Bunny made it on time to BFF step son... a bit sleep deprived the bunny even got it wrapped in cellephane with minis in eggs and candy @ 3am the night before ...

• 6 months later...

Hi, my daughter just gave me this kit to build for her son. It is indeed a big box of sticks, OMG!! Luckily, it is complete, with instructions, and even has an assembly video. So, I'm definitely going to give it my best shot, seems no-one else was up to the challenge, and my grandson is counting on me to build it for him. Did you ever get yours together?

Not yet. I ordered it because my son and DIL were expecting a baby. The baby turned out to be a girl, so the Oregon Trail Cabin will stay in it's box a little longer. My daughter and SIL are expecting in March...maybe this one will be a boy.

I know she could play with a cabin, but I've already bought the Dura-Craft Chelsea to build for her...plus her Mother wants her to be a "girly-girl" and is always dressing her in frilly pink.

Thanks for the kick in the butt! DH showed up with a brand new aluminum square this a.m., so I bit the bullet and got 2 floors of this cabin glued together. I'm thinking my only snag will be cutting the gables straight to make the dormer sides, but DH says it's doable, and Granny has got to come through on this house for poor little Wille! LOL( At one point the little fellow was so upset that his parents weren't building his house he tried to put it together himself, and has a few wrong sticks glued together. I will likely need to paint this house too camouflage that. I won't be able to stain over his glue.

This is the first interest I've had in minis in a couple of weeks, so I must have finally gotten enough sleep. Wish me luck!

The Duracraft Shenandoah is a big bunch of sticks, also. There are MDF versions, but they're just not as nice as the pine versions. The Shenandoah was the second, no third, house I built and wasn't nearly as intimidating as it looks. I even did a little bashing by moving the staircase.

I glued the 2 sides together. Will need to cut the gable ends (PEAKS) next. So far the only hitch has been that all the 14 1/2 sticks I need, were 15 inches and I had to cut them ALL! I made sure the kit did not call for 15 inchers anywhere, and checked the inventory list- nope it's them! The rest all appear to be cut the correct lenght. Lucky for me Sam (Ezcutter) was up to the challeng. My hands however, will be sore tomorrow, from the strenght it took to help him through it!

P.S didn't mean to highjack your post!

Suzanne, I feel your pain! That's the sort of job I'd take downstairs & cut on the bandsaw! I guesss you could find some decorative way to use up all those 1/2" off-cuts! Front walk edging or planter boxes, maybe?

I can't seem to get the hinge peices to take the nails without splitting, even when I try twisting the silly thing in with plyers as the video recommends!!!Arrrrg, Do you know of any housework doors that would look acceptable on a cabin? I know there's a million styles of doors out there! Suggestions please/Thanks!

Got everything glued just the way it says, measured to the split hair and it should be perfect! They don't tell you the roof won't fit, unless you totally shave the small back wall down on a 45 degree angle and the top front board needs the same treatment. That done, gonna cut the peaks in the dormers in the next couple of days. I'm hoping this will be long enough for them to be totally flat, when they come out from under their 2 tons of autumotive books,LOL slight problem with curling, not bad though for a 1995 kit.This weekend the roof will go on, and so far all system are a go. I do not intend to build the furniture that it claims I can make out of the leftover peices of sticks!! Perhaps at some other time. Too much for these old arthritic hands to shop up with the Ezcutter! Pics coming soon!

Suzanne, I don't recall if I described in my "Laurel Rehab" album pictures how I built crossbuck doors, but they're easy-peasy! Trace your door opening onto a pice of paper and cut craft sticks to fit; if they aren't long enough, decide where you want the crosspieces to come and cut them accordingly to fit side-by-side to fit your tracing. Sand the sides smooth & even & glue them side-by-side to fit. cut three crosspieces for each side of the door and glue them flush with the top & bottom and centered over the splice. If you want to pin-hinge you can drill your holes in the top & bottom. If you want to use strip-hinges you can cut one more craft stick to fit along one side of the hinged edge.

Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

Ester, I just found your website and photos of all your builds. It is absolutely amazing. I love them all. I have been working dollhouses since 1976. Life got busy and now am back at it. My daughter bought me a Oregon Trail by DuraCraft at a garage sale today for $10.00. I went on the internet and they sell for $25.00. Did you get yours together? I would love to see a picture of it. Any hints on putting it together? I oppened the box and oh my gosh!.....It is adorable and cant' wait to start it.

Please if you have time go to my greenleaf albums. I have a Walmer Victorian Colonial that was built in 1976 for my daughters. I have completely renovated it and added lots of things I couldn't have in it when they were little. It was such joy for me to have so much fun with it.

Real Good Toys bought Walmer dollhouses several years ago.

I love your houses and am so happy I found you....Sharon

No, Sharon, I haven't built it yet....I was waiting for a grandson....I now have three granddaughters. lol. I do have a great-nephew. If no grandson materializes soon, I'll build it for the great-nephew.

I love your Walmer French Colonial! beautiful!

Esther, you don't have to build for a child; it's perfectly OK to build for yourself, and to have more than one...

Oh, I know that, Holly! lol. I've got seven that are all mine (and a couple waiting in boxes). I don't have room for more, so I need to give some away or build for others.