My Fairfield

fov

Some people had asked for pictures, so I took a few after gluing some trim yesterday. The porch pieces are not glued in yet and a couple require a little touch-up, but this will give you an idea of where I am. :hug:

porch_trim_sm.jpg

EDIT: The picture isn't showing up for me - not sure why - but anyway, here's a link: http://home.comcast.net/~fovlet/fairfield/porch_trim_sm.jpg

Thanks! I have already cut the trim for most of the corners, but haven't put it up yet because I am going to do fishscale shingles on the triangular parts of the three walls and I want to glue that in first. I think the trim is going to overlap the shingles a little. Also I'll be putting a railing on the second story porch but haven't painted all the pieces yet.

I can't decide what to do with the roof parts for the bay windows. I was planning to shingle them, but every time I get ready to start, I feel like it's going to be really difficult so I don't do it. I'm trying to decide if I should shingle them, or just paint them off-white to match the trim.

My tower was very pointy (almost dangerously pointy!) so I cut off the top. I'd like to put something decorative on top of it, maybe a weather vane, but haven't found any in half scale. If anyone has ideas for where to look for something like that, please let me know!

I think the copper roof with patina would look great. That's what I plan to do when I get my new fairfield. I used to have an aging kit that came with 3 acrylic colors - copper, very dark green, and seafoam green. The instructions said to paint the item copper, then sponge on the dark green, finally sponging on the seafoam last. I think it looks authentic.

Dept. 56 makes a set of 5 weathervanes that look perfect for 1/2 scale. They have a rooster, a running horse, a deer, a lighthouse and an eagle. I put the eagle on my Haunted Fairfield. Ebay has a few of them for sale now.