Dollhouses in movies and TV

rodentraiser

I was watching a back episode of Storage Wars, Canada and there was a part in there where the people found some miniature furniture in one of the storage lockers they bought. The furniture looked to be 1/2" scale and was sort of intricately carved like Bespaq furniture. But here's where the story falls apart. They took the furniture to a woman in a miniature shop and she told them if she had the furniture, she would set it for sale at $500 to $550 in her shop. And didn't even mention a maker. This for just a couple of pieces. And we wonder why miniature shops go out of business!

Last week's episode of The Americans showed a nicely build Newport dollhouse.

And in Flip It to Win It a couple of weeks ago, a team went into a condo and found a Columbian/Brookfield dollhouse on the floor and wondered what it was worth. I guessed $20 and yup! that's what their "expert" told them the house was worth.

What houses have you seen recently?

And whenever I see a wreck of a kit house in a thrift store priced at post-restoration prices I sigh and move on.

I love this topic. Don't forget all the Greenleaf dollhouses in the "Santa Clause" movies, and the McKinley in the CSI Hallowe'en episode about the lycanthropic brother & sister.

• Like 1

I saw the dollhouse on the Americans, too!!

Also, I recently saw two dollhouses on the Walking Dead, of all things. One was a Melissa and Doug Victorian -- the pink one. I can't remember the other one.

I also saw a vintage dollhouse on the table of the first victim's room when Clarice visits her house in the movie Silence of the Lambs.

Yes, I watch gory stuff. :D

There's a dollhouse in Wendy's house in the movie Hook with Dustin Hoffman. Tinkerbell flies through the house and lights up the rooms.

Then there's the movie Lovely Bones where the serial killer builds dollhouses.

There was an episode of King of Queens where Doug makes a delivery to a guy who collects doll parts and he has an Orchid on a shelf.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head

There's a dollhouse in the '78 movie Comes A Horseman with Jane Fonda and James Caan.

Obviously the Amityville Horror 2 movie had the Amityville house replica? Was it the second movie? I don't remember

And my all-time favorite - the Twilight Zone episode where a lonely man manages to move into a dollhouse in the museum. Now If I could just figure out how he did that!!

• Like 2

I have been trying to remember a movie, with a huge dollhouse, I think the movie was set in Victorian times , it may have been through the looking glass or something like that , they were a very wealthy family the home was VERY nice and I wonder if the doll house was the huge Coleman dollhouse that resides at the Toy and Miniature Museum in Kansas City, does this ring a bell with anyone?

There's a dollhouse in Wendy's house in the movie Hook with Dustin Hoffman. Tinkerbell flies through the house and lights up the rooms.

Then there's the movie Lovely Bones where the serial killer builds dollhouses.

There was an episode of King of Queens where Doug makes a delivery to a guy who collects doll parts and he has an Orchid on a shelf.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head

The guy who did the dollhouses for The Lovely Bones is the same guy who remodeled my dollhouse! His store was also featured in an episode of the short-lived reality show Marriage Ref. He said an agent (or producer or someone) called him and asked if he knew of any couples where the husband got upset over how much the wife spent on dollhouse stuff. His response was, "How many do you want?"

• Like 3

Seems to be a trend here........ I wonder how come so many dollhouses appear in horror films or with serial killers? :zipped: :shaun:

Dollhouses . . . Serial Killers -- Same thing! :evil:

That's really funny because my friends used to tease me about my passion for true crime stories. Of course all my friends, as well as most people who know me, also know about my two dollhouses and my obession with them. So perhaps there is a connection.

• Like 1

I like horror films too, but oddly enough I don't remember a dollhouse in The Amityville Horror movies or in Silence of the Lambs. I do remember the dollhouses in The Lovely Bones, however, and they were the reason I had to see the movie.

Many years ago Goldie Hawn was in a movie with Burt Reynolds called Best Friends. The movie has them driving up to Buffalo, NY to stay with Goldie's character's parents, and because they weren't married, the parents had them sleep in separate rooms. Burt Reynolds ended up sleeping in Goldie Hawn's old bedroom that contained a dollhouse.

More recently, I saw a documentary titled Catfish. It was about a young man who on Facebook befriended Abby, who he thought was an eight-year-old girl who sent him a painting of one of his published photographs. Through Abby, he began a romantic relationship with her older sister, but it turned out it was the girl's mother who was the artist and the one posing as the older sister.

When the young man and his brother and friend paid an unexpected visit to Michigan to see the family and sort out the lies, I noticed a dollhouse in their living room. As interesting as I thought this film was, I wanted to know more of about the dollhouse. I was wondering if Abby's mother, being an artist, was the one who built it, but the dollhouse was never discussed.

• 6 months later...

After watching 'Wendy meets Casper' last night, I wondered if anyone else had (it's a 1998 movie) and had seen the dollhouse in Wendy's bedroom at the 13 minute mark?

It looks similar to a Newport, but it is not a Newport (at least not the ones coming up on my google page).

I just thought I'd share.

I will watch that one again soon, Casey. I didn't pay much attention, all those years ago, to much of what was in the backgrounds. Now, I can and I do. It's amazing what one had missed, but now we see.

Thanks for the reminder. I will watch for it when I watch that again.

Vicki, it is not only in the background! In some scenes the actors are walking around in it! I think that's what I like about it.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could shrink for a while and walk around in our mini homes?