San Franciscan vs. Marquam Hill

texandziggy

I like both of these houses as well!

but the only one I can give any opinon on would be the MHM....we have one and it is a Monster!

the rooms are HUGE...not the kitchen but you cant have it all.

we added a 2 story addition to ours for a kitchen and bathroom.

I say get whichever house you like the most.

or get both...it is not unheard of.

nutti :p

I have a MHM also and it is without a doubt my favorite house. If I was told I could only keep one house forever...that would be the one I would chose out of the ones I own.

If you have the space, get both!

i say go for both. i have a san fran, and love it, but i love the look of the MHM too. i just don't have the space for both. i added a two story four room addition to my san fran, but the rooms themselves are large if you refigure the staircases or leave them out.

The SF even with it's 7 million parts, 6 million of which need sanding is easier to build. I think all the angles and turns give it support and keep it square. The MDF model mush be very heavy, I can lift and move the ply one by myself. MHM is actually my favorite of the LARGE Dura craft houses.

Is this your first dollhouse? Might want to go smaller for your first house, so you can get a fast build finished before taking on a house that builds slowly. The small house does not have to be a EASY house!

Thanks everyone for all the help with choosing. Here's a new twist. I'm kinda leaning more towards the Marquam Hill but I've also fallen in love with Greenleaf's Beacon Hill. Now it's kinda become a choice between those two. So any advice on those two would be most appreciated.

And yes, this is going to be my first build but I have experience with various other types of modeling. Plus I love a challenge and I'm looking at something that's gonna occupy a good chunk of the upcoming long Vermont winter. So which is it? Marquam Hill or Beacon Hill? Is there a noticeable difference in quality between Dura-Craft Kits and Greenleaf ones?

Thanks.

I think the the quality and depth of cutting in the dura craft kits varies quite a bit from kit to kit. I have thought that perhaps they did not keep their equipment properly tooled ("tooled" is that right? I am making a literal translation from Hebrew?) I have gotten a few GL kits where I felt like I was cutting the plywood myself, like sheets # 9 and 10 on my current Willowcrest.

I have an old SF components and walls built, but it is still flat a packable. I made a really nice lattice base for it too. I am going through it right now to see if I have enough of it to offer it up to someone here. It was in my bash box but I thinl the only things I ever used from it where the stairs and corbals.

• 1 month later...

My first dollhouse was a Greenleaf (pre-assembled), and I hated all of the tab-and-slot construction that I had to try and hide when I was decorating. I tried to build the Pierce, and gave up after the foundation, partly because I hated the tabs and slots--none of the tabs fit, and I had to sand all of them down, or they fit but then there was a gap between two other pieces, etc. The shell for my MHM went together fairly quickly, and I'm confident that it's sturdy because of the thick walls. I haven't really had to do much sanding because of pieces not fitting together.

Now, I haven't yet reached the trim and window stage with my MHM, so I may yet get extremely frustrated :thumb: But if I were to do another dh, I would definitely choose *anything* other than a tab-and-slot plywood house. JMHO...

Melissa