just bought a harrison

lili

Just bought a harrison. I think I might have gotten in over my head.Please help me with any advise you might have. I would appeciatte it more than you know. what is the best way to get started. How long does it usually take? How patient should i be? I suffer from wanting instant gratification.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Lili...

I'm a newbie and am waiting to get my Harrison as well...(I get mine this Friday)

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Hi Liliana and Tiffanie, the Harrison was my second build and it's a great house. The rooms are very large. There are pictures in my Gallery if that helps either of you. I did make some changes by leaving out the hallway in the center and making it all part of the livingroom and bedroom upstairs. It's quite an easy build, but be patient, it isn't any fun if you rush through it. Enjoy the process and you'll find it won't be your last one.

Helloo ladies.

things to do before getting your house

make a work area...one that doesnt have to be cleaned up every day or often at all.

it says on the estimated build time it will take 15 hours to build....please note this time does NOT include staining,painting, wallpaper or Electrical.

so when it will be finished is really up to the person building the house.

gather your supplies

x-acto knife with xtra blades

sandpaper

glue....NOT hot glue! a good wood glue or Aileens tacky glue....for every person who builds it is different

stain and paint

a good primer...some use regular house paint to prime....I like to use Kilz spray primer and I usually prime after the dry fit and before the gluing

Masking tape----this is your friend! buy a BIG roll.

pencil and storage baggies....I put my punched out peices in baggies...windows in one,doors in one,,,stairs....ect you get the idea.

of course lots more things are nice to have but these things will get you started....as you go you may find need for things not on the list.

remember to read the directions completely a few times before opening the box and digging in.

it really does help.

ALso note that when starting a new kit.....you will feel overwhelmed when you see all the sheets of wood that make up your kit...we all feel that way no matter how many we have built...it is normal and it will be OK

I look forward to seeing your progress!

nutti :wub:

I just built my first house and it was not as big as yours- and I have to say I agree with reading through the directions several times first. I only read through mine once and dove in. I wish I would have taken more time to read them a few more times- would have made some of the process simpler. And like I said- mine was super simple compared to yours.

And workspace. I have a craft room - set up a little table and ended up moving out to the living room and taking over it. It does take some space to spread out painted pieces while they dry and still having room to move forward on assembling others.

Liliana & Tiffanie, First let me suggest you take your time and the "Search" feature to read over the forum, there are several posts about supplie and how to proceed. The builiding blogs give you some suggestions for how to get started.

Christine also asked similar questions here. There is also a FAQ forum. You can also search the blogs & Gallery for pictures of the Harrisons that have been/ are being built.

I beg both of you to remember that none of us is in a race, and if you want your dollhouse to turn out looking good, TAKE YOUR TIME. You learn most of all from mistakes, there is NO mistake that cannot be fixed (some of us who rehab dollhouses can attest to that!), and there is no such thing as a "dumb" or "stupid" question if you don't know the answer, and we are happy to answer your questions if we can (even if it's just to supply a link or two).

Hi Liliana and Tiffanie, the Harrison was my second build and it's a great house. The rooms are very large. There are pictures in my Gallery if that helps either of you. I did make some changes by leaving out the hallway in the center and making it all part of the livingroom and bedroom upstairs. It's quite an easy build, but be patient, it isn't any fun if you rush through it. Enjoy the process and you'll find it won't be your last one.

Wenlaine, your houses are BEAUTIFUL!

I especially love the Van Buren....simply stunning.

Hi, congrats on this beautiful house :wub:

The construction of this house is surprisingly easy. It is a larger house and looks awesome when you get the shell together. My favorite feature of this house is the window seats :)

I reversed my staircases cuz i like looking up a staircase, not the backside of it and wondering what the front looks like in ahouse :( my harrison is in the basement for the time being, i had to many projects going on at once and the harrison took up to much room for the moment, so until i get the number of in progress items under control, the harrison will just have to sit and wait for me.

Looking forward to seeing how your comes out :)

Liliana and Tiffanie you both are going to enjoy this house. I have been slowly working on mine for the past year and it's starting to come together just as I envisioned it (with a little input from the house itself :) ). I got it already built so I started with the shell but changed alot, I have some pics in my gallery. The house has sooo many possibilities. Mine is going to be a manor house with a few up-to-date features. Have fun building and just take your time and don't forget to ask questions if your have any someone will be able to help. :wub:

thank you all. you have made my day a little brighter. I'm here at work looking at your helpful replies @ work on my phone. once again thanks . i feel more prepared to tackle this project.

First of al congrats with your new house. Second remeber: Rome was not build in 1 day, third: enjoy this time of building adn crafting, once it is finished you may want to start another........... :monkeydance:

Patience is very important. I just recently finished up the trim for my Glencroft and man was that a lot of work. I do not regret a minute of it though because I think the Tudor style is beautiful. Enjoy your build. Remember, no one (hopefully) is rushing you. By taking your time, it gives the house a good opportunity to 'talk' to you and let you know what it wants to look like.

I havent had a chance to check in until today, was having too much fun. My husband and I took a little labor day weekend trip to Monterey up north from where i live. Just the relief from the weather is enough its a 30 degree diference. Hope all of you are having a good weekend with your families.

I just finished my Harrison and it is a BIG house! But well worth the time (pics are in my gallery)

Here a a couple of suggestions:

Its hard to get into those tower rooms once the house is together so I would do the interior decor (paint, wallpaper, etc before you do the final construction. (Yea I know its just glue, but I like to call it construction!)

I did the stucco work last so I didn't have to put the windows in until the last minute, I put my hands through the window openings many times to intstall flooring and light fixtures!

The windows take up a lot of wall space, keep that in mind when thinking of decor.

And last: Remember this is a hobby! It is suppose to be relaxing and fun!