San Francisco

Wolfie

I have just been informed that I may be getting a San Francisco in trade for one of my dolls. Wow! I've been looking at the galleries plus pictures of it in an old HBS catalog and all I can say is WOW!

I'm very familiar with the painted ladies of San Francisco as we used to live in San Jose and were often in San Fran doing things. I love those painted ladies!

Now what is the kit like? What comes with it?

Wolfie drooling over the Painted Lady and thinking of color schemes!

I also am doing a little research on this house. There are three editions: SF550, SF555 and SF557. The only differences I can see by photos between the 555 and 557 is the small window above the second story door is oblong on the 555 and round on the 557. Also the 555 has corbels under the turret roof while the 557 does not. I have seen the 557 advertised as being milled siding and 3/8" MDF does anyone know if the 555 is also milled siding and 3/8" MDF? Any other differences between the two? Thanks.

I also am doing a little research on this house. There are three editions: SF550, SF555 and SF557. The only differences I can see by photos between the 555 and 557 is the small window above the second story door is oblong on the 555 and round on the 557. Also the 555 has corbels under the turret roof while the 557 does not. I have seen the 557 advertised as being milled siding and 3/8" MDF does anyone know if the 555 is also milled siding and 3/8" MDF? Any other differences between the two? Thanks.

From what I understand the SF555 is not 3/8" MDF, but plywood like the SF550. Each one is slightly different as well. I built the SF557. It came with the Magic Brick for the foundation and had the milled siding. I added two walls to make the master bedroom and master bath. Otherwise, my pics should give you a good idea of the kit. Here is a link to my gallery. Oh and Kate (heartnsoule) has her SF555 (I believe) as her avatar. Here is her member page.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I just added some more interior shots on it since I finally finished the interior trim or at least for now. I still need to finsih a few things like curtains.

does anyone know if the 555 is also milled siding and 3/8" MDF? Any other differences between the two?
The SF555 was the first kit I ever built. It is all wood. The walls are built up of sections of wood with milled-in siding on one side and tongue & groove fit to join the sections together (you will want to fill and sand smooth & prime the non-milled sides of the walls after the dry-fit). I used a steel carpenter's square and rolls of masking tape to help my to do this. Everything came in my kit including the stencil tape & "brick" powder from the Magic Masonry systems people to brick the foundation. There are "hardwood" flooring strips and square-edged cedar "shakes" to roof it with.

If the videotape is in the box, it didn't help me very much; the well-illustrated booklet was far more helpful. It's set up to make working windows & front door.

It comes with a video?! Oh man I hope I get this dollhouse in a trade! How cool is that?!

Wolfie

Depends on the version you get. My SF557 did not have a video. I believe the SF555 does.

The SF555...is all wood...the videotape is in the box
I said that. The video shows gluing and taping the wall segments together and I don't remember anything about it showing cutting & gluing the various longframe pieces. BTW, be extremely careful with identifying all the longframe pieces, verify counts, etc, because there is no more Dura-Craft to replace micsut pieces, no matter what it says in the instruction booklet.

I just finished the shell on the SF557. After a frustrating start (mostly because this is my first build) with trying to get the side walls glued to the foundation and the floors together, it actually went together very easily. Just those first walls were a bit tough and then the rest was pretty easy. The 557 is HEAVY- it's MDF. The sides are milled siding. I just painted mine gray and she is deciding whether she wants to stay that way or not. I am planning on adding a dormer to the third floor bay window side and raising the tower a bit, I think.

No video with this one, as others have said.

I hope you get one, Wolfie. She's a beauty!!

The lady with the dollhouse is hedging a bit about the trade. She lives in Florida. And now is not so sure she wants to trade......dang! I want that house. It's a beauty!

Wolfie with a sad face.....

I think in between the wood slot and tab one and the MDF kit there was one with small pieces of milled siding that glued together to make the inside and outside walls. The walls then slid into wood spans that had tracks in them. The Heritage I am rehabbing is the same way. This was the second kit house I ever built (the first was also a SF) the kit had nice milled window stock that had to be cut to make the windows, which all opened (and they really did open even after painting!). The window glass was nice ant thick too. There was a lot more measuring and cutting that the slot and tab kit but it really came out nice.

I hope you get the house, but if not I am sure you can find one on craigs list. Lots of peple buy them and then are overwhelmed when they open the box. It is almost as overwhelming as the first willowcreast I ever opened!

in between the wood slot and tab one and the MDF kit there was one with small pieces of milled siding that glued together to make the inside and outside walls.
That's the SF555 that I've built. If I ever got another one I'd build it again but finish it differently.

It takes a very strong person to open a dollhouse box - all sealed and taped - and not be overwhelmed by all that is inside that box. I do think that most of us on this list are exceptional. I don't get overwhelmed when I open the box. I get overwhelmed by figuring how much time I can devote to it before I have to stop and do things with Doug............ Sometimes I sit up all night making dolls or playing with the furniture or dollhouse! Then around 5AM when the sun is coming up here, I'm pooped but duty calls! I can go about 3 days without sleep or rest....and then I crash and burn for several hours.....

wolfie

After hours of doing "JUST ONE MORE THING" I too have suddenly looked up and found that it is a new day....more than once or twice. I am lucky I can jst get my boy off to school and nap all morning.

I am a nurse and always like working nights. If I did not have children I am sure I would have continued the night owl pattern I established at University for my whole life!

Yes, Holly, you are right it is the same kit, except mine did not have the brick stuff it had a pretty lattice covered base. It was the first house I ever added a basement to. Like it was not TALL enough already!

mine did not have the brick stuff it had a pretty lattice covered base. It was the first house I ever added a basement to. Like it was not TALL enough already!
I LIKE the idea of the latticed base! But I'd also add a basement, so I'd probably want to finish it as stone and add to the steps with a basement entrance & wroughtiron gates on either side under the steps. But then I'd have to sit it on the floor!

Well, it's official! My painted lady San Francisco is going to be winging its way northwest from Florida to Montana on Monday! :) The trade is graven in stone (I hope) and I'm happy! Now onward and upward! It cost me a couple of dolls, but I think it is worth it! I don't know which version it is, but will fill in the blanks when it gets here. :)

Wolfie :)

Thank you Holly! I'm very excited about this little house after hearing so much about it. I don't know which version it is, but I understand that the box has never been opened and that lady that had it is no longer interested (what! Is she crazy) in building it! So now it's mine....but I will patiently wait for it to arrive!

Wolfie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the house has arrived! It is the SF 555 model! It is all wood, has the video, and the magic bric. It is huge though! I didn't expect the weight of it, or the size of the box! And so many parts in it! I remember when I built my Heritage so long ago how many parts were in it, and I was amazed! But this dollhouse has absolusely EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink, but then I haven't looked way down in the bottom of the box yet!

I shall be calling it the Yellow Rose and will be going through all the wallpapers and carpeting etc. that I hae to pull out the things for it, and then putting it in a separate box and attaching that box to the other box. I have decided to use pale yellow on the outside with cream and a darker yellow for the accent colors. The true colors of those older painted ladies were very earthtoned, browns, beiges, ocre, etc., were all the basic colors. So I won't be using the eye-jarring colors that came along later. I don't want another blue house, and the Garfield is going to be my Verde house and the Fairfield will most likely be beige in color, and there are others in the basement, the Harrison will be a tudor painted in those colors....I want it to look like Anne Bolyn's home - Heavor Castle. But it is going to take a lot of work! LOL And of course the wonderful Glouster, I think I will stone that when I can get to it, and the Arthur will probably be a cottage with rocks on the outside as well. I'm thinking of a Snow White and the 7 dwarves sort of cottage...... I have way too much going on in my head! HELP!!!!!!

I best get off here and behave myself!

Wolfie :p

How exciting, Wolfie! I have the 557 which is MDF. When I opened the box it scarred me half to death too, but once I put the shell together I realized there wasn't much left but a lot (really a LOT) of trim. I'm about to embark on the windows which will be an adventure, I believe. I've decided to save the magic brick for another project and I'll be doing the egg carton stonework for the balcony,porch, and foundation. Mine is grey with white trim and navy and burgundy accents. I love yellow but I already did a yellow house. Your colors sound great!

Tiffany, and others.....

Never have I seen so much included with a dollhouse kit! I am in awe! The trims are fabulous! And it's all there! Flooring right down to gutters and downspouts PLUS those fancy end of wall trims! Beautiful dollhouse!

Tiffany I think your colors are just lovely too! Thanks for sharing!

Now I'm trying to be patient and back to the Pierce.....This awful heat here has made me quite lethargic and I've not been working on much of anything for a week or so. Hard to get enthused when the house is 101 degrees! But our summers here are short, so it will be fall weather again before we know it!

Wolfie

• 1 month later...

I just got one of these houses off craigslist for cheap. It was really well done - wood floors on the first floor, but carpet upstairs that I will be removing.

THe one I got is pretty light - thin wood. Which version is that?

I LOVE THIS HOUSE. The windows work, the doors are lovely, the little doorway moldings inside are gorgeous. If you can find one completely made like this - it's totally worth it!

Another funny thing - there are three of these on craigslist right now in my area. I guess it was a very popular kit.

Gee I don't really know which version is better. I've not started mine yet. I did make a bouquet for the Yellow Rose however......And a fancy perfume bottle.....here tiz! I also wanted someone special to know that the box came! And everything is wonderful!

Anyway the roses are made of paper as are the other flowers, I did not make the vase. I did make the pretty perfume bottle right beside the base.....the other one was a gift from a dear friend who is mildly "slow." She loves to make things though!

Gina