Help!!! Totally Newbie

I am totally new at this and just feel really stupid! I just got the Lily and I am already stumped at the first step. I don't understand how to do the doors(front) I don't get what is trim and what is sash and I can't tell from the picture how to do it. Can anyone help me? I went to the Minature Doll museum in Kansas City and I totally want to make a house and furnish it so I bought the Lily. I am sososososo excited, but currently feel a little overwhelmed and alot stupid.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

First of all, close your eyes and take a deep breath. Hi, Tracy, welcome to the forum, hop on over to the newcomer's area and introduce yourself, and then go read the building team's Lily blogs. Next, read over some of the comments for beginners (the "search" button might can help you). OK?

I have built a house or two and each time I open a new kit I quietly fight down the rising surge of panic and this is what I do:

1. Take out the plastic acetate window inserts sheet and place it between the pages of the warm-up sheets and set it aside where I'll see it but it won't get scratched or damaged. The main useful info on the warm-up sheet is this: DON'T PANIC!

2. Read over the instructions. Ignore the parts about sealing with shellac and using hot glue. The first isn't necessary, and clear sanding sealer or primer will do the same job, and if you want anything stained you'll need to do that before you do anything else (you can seal, glue or paint over stain, but you can't stain over sealer, glue or paint; g'wan, ask me how I KNOW this!).

3. Take out the schematics sheet and use it to check each of the plywood sheets. I go ahead and put the plywood sheets into numerical order so the parts are easier for me to find when the instructions call for them. Many people lightly write the part name on the "wrong" side of the wood in pencil. I don't do this because I can't see the pencil very well, and I'm likely to sand it off, anyway; I write the part name on a piece of masking tape in ink and stick it to the wrong side of the part.

4. With the schematics sheet in one hand go back and read the instructions again, looking on the schematics sheet for the parts mentioned in the instructions.

5. At this point you go to the store and buy a box of zip-lock baggies, a roll or two of waxed paper, a few rolls of masking tape and a craft or utility knife with lots of extra blades and some sort of wood filler would be nice, too. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a couple of extra packs of clamps and I'm assuming you already have a sanding block and some emery boards, a bottle of carpenter's wood glue or tacky glue or some glue that will actually hold the wood when it cures and won't turn too brittle within a few years (like hot glue). A steel straight edge is nice to have, a carpenter;s square is better because you can check that your pieces are squared up.

6. Read the instructions one more time. after you R&P the window and door trims, carefully place the pieces into ziplock bags, you don't really want to put them together or onto the house until AFTER you prime/ stain/ paint/ wallpaper/ side your house. You can sand, use filler if needed and paint your trims, but wait until the rest of the house is done to install them and to attach the clear plastic inserts (ask how many of us learned this).

I don't get what is trim and what is sash
If the blog pictures and the gallery pictures that other Lily builders have posted don't give you an idea, it's perfectly OK to PM one of those Lily builders & ask.

havanaholly's RULE #1 is that there are no such things as "dumb" (or other derogatory synonym of your choice) questions and I really see red flags go up when someone starts off their question that way. You will notice I have already invited you to ask questions, and not just of me.

I'm looking forward to you sharing pictures and stories of your build.

Hi Tracy--you've received my pms I hope. The pictures from the blogs will help and I will also look and see if I have some that I did not post in the blog on my hard drive to help you. But before you glue the doors together, decide if you want them to open and close. If you do, you will have to decide how you are going to do that. There is Havanaholly's method of using chamois, the pin method and the hinge method. The tiny hinges in my opinion don't hold up to much opening and closing--but my DGK are young and little rough on the door. Actually if I had it to do over, I would use the chamois method, because of the way the house slides into the floor there is no good place to do the pin method, IMHO.

This is a beautiful but hard house for a first timer. But I'm living proof that it can be done. LOL

I would save the windows and doors until after you have wallpapered and wired but before I put the porch and railings on. Also I sided the house before I put the porch on--so it is ok to jump around some from the directions.

The foyer is hard to get to once the livingroom wall and stairs go in.

Please dry fit the house before gluing--it will help so much in deciding which steps you may want to do first.

Hope some of this helps. Please feel free to ask all the questions you have, that is how we all learn and I will keep my schematics handy. BTW-the first thing I did was blow those suckers up so I could read them better. The tiny print was hard for me to read.

hey, pool, welcome!

what i don't know about the Lily is .... everything.

i have gotten the kit and i speak very, very respectfully to her. it's a gorgeous house. there are other projects ahead in the line, but ooooh, that house is special!

will be cheering you on, and looking forward to your posts.

:groucho:

Me, again.

it is ok to jump around some from the directions.
Absolutely what Peggi said!
there are other projects ahead in the line,
My problem, too. She calls out to me from inside her box because she wants me to make her into a Tuscan villa. Has yours begun telling you what she want to become?

Whoot Whoot!! The Tracy's are coming out of the Closet now!! We got another Tracy! Welcome to the Neighborhood and I can't wait to see your Lily! This house is a challenge but should be easier for you if you view the blog area to see what others has done with this fantastic kit! Peggi helped me a lot with mine too!

• 3 weeks later...

My best advice is read all the instrictions twice. Then read them again while you are looking at the wood sheet with the pieces for that part of the instructions. Do not punch out anything until you are ready to wprk with it. I once decided I would prime a bunch and even tossed the sheets after I upunched out the needed parts. I was left with a huge pile of nicely primed sticks.... The other thing to remember is that dry fitting is NOT a waste of time, getting incorrectly glued pieces apart with a razor, now that's a waste of time!

Last thought, This is supposed to be fun, it is OK if it takes a long time! Tke your time and make a butiful house. Anytime you start swearing or sweating or you find your mouth is dry and you are crabby at you cat, dog DH or kids, go do somethin else and come back later.

Good luck on your house!

Here is a link to a VERY pretty Lilly!

Holy moly, that is nice!

Hi pooljazz, here is how I did my Lily doors, again referring very heavily to the great blogs by Peggi and LPCullen and MinisOnTheEdge and everyone else; you will note, however, that the pediments (and pediment caps) are actually supposed to be placed on top of the door casings, instead of over them, as I did... Oh well...! (I made the same mistake for the window pediments, and this actually caused me problems heightwise vis-a-vis trim and verge pieces, so I would heartily NOT recommend it even though I patched the height as you can see in the last pic...)

Hello and welcome! I am new to minis too! I am working on my first house the Haunted house kit. It is a lot littler and more simple than the lilly. Everyone here is really helpful! You can do it! Did you make that stained glass by yor post?

Hi and :ohyeah: Tracy!! I think everyone else has given you excellent advice so I won't add to it. I haven't built the Lily but can tell you to relax and enjoy it. Have fun!!

:)