Orchid First-timer!

Hello Everyone! I just started on the Orchid last night and I am SO excited about it! I read somewhere that painting the pieces as you assemble is the easiest way...anyone else have any handy tips? I don't think I'll tackle lighting on this first one...I just want to get one together first! I've been building people-sized furniture for years and I have to say...this may yet prove to be a greater challenge.

This has been something I've always wanted to do...I just finished up my MCAT's so I've got a few months between now and applying to med schools, and I could think of no better way to spend my free time! :)

Has anyone worked with The Lily (not sure the manufacturer)...I have such a crush on the gothic style of that one... :birthday:

Anyway, glad to be here! Thanks to everyone who has been so friendly!

Kindest Regards,

Valerie

Hi and :) Valerie! The Orchid is a great house! I built one myself. I haven't worked on the Lily but I know I have read about some people's here. Enjoy your house!! Please share pictures when you have some. Good luck with med school!!

:birthday:

Hello and welcome to the forum Valerie! I am so tempted to beg or trade for an Orchid it's not funny. I've been admiring those little beauties for a while now! The only suggestion I have is not only paint as you go along, but also make your wiring diagram and put up your papers if you are going to paper as you go. Otherwise, when it comes time to do that, you may have problems getting your hands into the tight spots.

Wolfie

anyone else have any handy tips?
If you go to the Orchid blog you can see what two building teams did with this one: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...house/index.php? and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...house/index.php?

Has anyone worked with The Lily (not sure the manufacturer)
That blog is here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...house/index.php? , Corona Concepts makes that one & you can order it from the Greenleaf Store.

you may have problems getting your hands into the tight spots.
I didn't find any tight spots in the Orchid, but do paint or paper you gable & dormers before you add the wall upstairs, if you use it.

Welcome to the forum!

the Orchid is a great looking house and not to bad int build dept.

lots of info to be found in the blog section to help you along your way.

my tip to any beginner is NOT put the windows in first.

do them after you have finished decorating inside and out.

and have fun!

Happy Building

nutti :)

Hi and welcome to the forum....the Orchid is a lovely house to build....I would suggest the same wallpaper, paint etc. as you go....I found that so much easier......if you would like to see the one I done...its in my gallery.....

Hi I am new too. I am waiting 'til payday and then I am thinking I will do the orchid also. I make polymer clay creations too. So, I have lots to put in my house when I finally get to it. Good luck with it. Everyone here says the orchid is a good first timer. Can't wait to see how yours turns out! Welcome!

Hello and welcome to the forum. The Orchid is a good choice for your first time build. I've done the Lily and you can see it in the blog that Havanaholly posted. I believe during the recent Hobby Builders Supply (HBS) sale, several people ordered the Lily so soon we should be seeing a lot of new pics of it showing up.

Since you've worked with RL furniture, you know how to work with wood and shouldn't have any problems.

Welcome to the forum, Valerie and Arda! The Orchid is a really pretty house. So many different ones to look at here - my tips to beginners - have a good look around at all the resources Greenleaf offers to us, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Whatever the question, someone here will know the answer!

Welcome to the forum, Arda, your little fairy babies are adorable!

Thanks i always tell my chirldren I found them at the river near our home. Sometimes I put them in mason jars on the kitchen table and tell them that I caught them while they were at school. My two oldest just giggle, but the little ones buy the story!

Welcome to the forum, Valerie and Arda! The Orchid is a really pretty house. So many different ones to look at here - my tips to beginners - have a good look around at all the resources Greenleaf offers to us, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Whatever the question, someone here will know the answer!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am excited to put my order in next month! Then I will have something new to do between diaper changing, refereeing, and studying. I think I am a little A. D .D.

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...