My Willow

I started the Willow just two weeks ago. It is my first build and is overwhelming as a first time project. (SO MANY PARTS!!!)

I decided in advance to paint/stain the parts as I went. The interior walls are primed, and the floors are stained. I accidently stained a floor and painted a ceiling on the second floor :) so I had to install it upside down which flipped the floorplan, but I think it will still all work out... just in mirror image. I also glued in the stairs without papering the wall behind them... so I guess I will have to adjust my design for that.

I want to electify my house too, but I'm a little stumped as to where to start on that aspect. I think I have gone as far as I can go without running the wiring tape. Then I guess I have to start wallpapering too. Any advice would be appreciated.

So here is my first pic of what I have done so far. How do I start an album?

post-1991-1176231687_thumb.jpg

Jill

Nice start, Jill!

You can start an album after you've made 5 posts. One more post and the option will be open to you. :)

Thanks. I got my album started... including my paintshop color swatching which is not great, but I'm very visual and it helps me keep in mind what I want to look for in wallpaper.

Jill

Got most the wiring done (ran out of tape in the attic). And I dry fit the chimneys and fireplaces.

I'm really excited that it looks so good.

Not sure how to finish the fireplace interiors since they don't have backs. Any ideas?

Jill

Depending on whether I wanted a stone or brick fireplace I primed the "innerds" the color I wanted the grout. For "stone" I spread a thin layer of spackling compound and drew the "stones" with a pointed toothpick and when the spackle was dry I used washes and drybrushing to paint them. For brick I glued my little sandpaper bricks in courses and when they were dry I went over them with a diluted gray wash of paint to calm the color down. With both I went back and sprinkled the interior with grated black chalk pastel crayon and spread it with a brush and then smeared it here & there with my finger to make it look sooty, like here in my McKinley fireplace.

blog-70-1163870641_thumb.jpg I used Magic Brick to do the interior in my Log Cabin. You can also use paperclay or DAS clay, spackle (as Holly mentioned) or possible joint compound. I used the Das clay for the stonework on the fireplace. (Don't be to critical, first time I tried to "draw" stones.)