Which one would you get?

Anya

Ok I have saw two benches that I like but cannot decide which one to get, all I know is it has to look either victorian or fairytale like. I want to put a bench in my BH roofgarden and am going to distress it. The garden is going to look kind of derelict, it is going to be a secret garden for my little girl doll and I want it to have a kind of magical quality to it, so the things that will go in theere need to fit the theme.

If any of you know of any other benches that might be good it'd be great if you could post a pic here.

24be_1_b.jpg

a29woodenbench.jpg

Oh here's a pic of the roof garden. It is far from finished, the bench in the pic belongs to another part of the house.

Picture5205.jpg

The top one, definitely! It has an airy, lacy look that will look good with the Beacon Hill's detail. It also looks like more of a fantasy piece, especialy after it has been distressed and dressed with a proper cushion. The bottom one has a heavier look and would be a fine choice for on the ground, but I am not sure it is the best choice for the roof top.

Jeri

Anya,

I really like the first one. They are both nice, but I feel like the second one is a style I have seen many times before, so to me the first one has more of a "magical" or at least unique feel to it. Sounds like a neat project! Love to see more as you work on it!

Traci

Thanks for the advice, I was resorting to tossing coins haha I just couldn't make up my mind. Now has anyone got any ideas on how to get this garden looking magical and very old and abandoned? What else could I put in there??? Any input would be great :ohyeah:

Ohhh, old and abandoned, sort of my kind of setting LOL... You could always add a small fountain/pond kind of thing with lots of leaves and perhaps branches in there instead of fish and real murky water...

A turned over statue with lots of wine roots creeping all over the place, perhaps a broken pot with a new wild flower growing out/on top of it. A couple of frogs and or mice scattering aroundold and empty bird's nests...

Hmmm, leaves that has piled up in the corners, some lattice work with vines growing as to enclose it like "walls"... perhaps a fox peeping out from under the bench?

Will have to think a little more about this as I have a picture in my mind but have diffculties in describing it...

Hugs

Ohhh, old and abandoned, sort of my kind of setting LOL... You could always add a small fountain/pond kind of thing with lots of leaves and perhaps branches in there instead of fish and real murky water...

A turned over statue with lots of wine roots creeping all over the place, perhaps a broken pot with a new wild flower growing out/on top of it. A couple of frogs and or mice scattering aroundold and empty bird's nests...

Hmmm, leaves that has piled up in the corners, some lattice work with vines growing as to enclose it like "walls"... perhaps a fox peeping out from under the bench?

Will have to think a little more about this as I have a picture in my mind but have diffculties in describing it...

Hugs

Great ideas, love them all :ohyeah: . Now I was thinking of putting a fountain on the wall of the house facing the garden but because of the clapboard siding it won't go on smoothly. Do you think I could build a stone wall there for the fountain to go on or would that look too weird?

As this is a sort of magical setting, I think a stone wall "appearing" in a rather odd place would appeal to anyone with a little whimsy in them.

I also agree that the first bench is your best choice. The second one would look lovely in a park, but not a secret rooftop.

Don't forget to add lots of moss and maybe a couple of beautiful cobwebs! Fungi like toadstools, shelf mushrooms on a tree.

How high is the roof? Only, foxes and such would need access to it - I guess it depends how magical this garden is - I suppose it could just bring in whatever it wanted.

Could you put in a little fairy door somewhere?

I would pick #1...I absolutely love your BH. I am doing something of the same with mine. Having a roof garden over an extended kitchen.

As this is a sort of magical setting, I think a stone wall "appearing" in a rather odd place would appeal to anyone with a little whimsy in them.

I also agree that the first bench is your best choice. The second one would look lovely in a park, but not a secret rooftop.

Don't forget to add lots of moss and maybe a couple of beautiful cobwebs! Fungi like toadstools, shelf mushrooms on a tree.

How high is the roof? Only, foxes and such would need access to it - I guess it depends how magical this garden is - I suppose it could just bring in whatever it wanted.

Could you put in a little fairy door somewhere?

Oh I love the sound of cobwebs, what would I use for them, Real ones? I am planning to have all the plants in pots and I am going to attempt to put a childs tree swing in there too and maybe a small grass section in there somewhere. I'll put bits of grass growing through the cracked paving and fairies will have to have a place in this garden.

The roof is above the kitchen so I guess one story high. I don't know how foxes would get in there because they would have to go through the house to get to the garden but I might just put one in there anyway.

The idea of the garden is to have it as a childs secret garden where adults don't go so it is never done up or weeded etc. I think it will look cool.

I would pick #1...I absolutely love your BH. I am doing something of the same with mine. Having a roof garden over an extended kitchen.

Oh great, what are you planning to do with your roof garden? Can't wait to see it :ohyeah: it's nice to know when someone is making the same house as your own.

:banana:

Oh I love the sound of cobwebs, what would I use for them, Real ones?

Hmmm .... good question! If you've ever used a glue gun, you will know the "wispies" that are left trailing when you pull the gun away from a gob of glue. These look very fine and cobwebby. You could stick some of them trailing from plants etc. to the ground.

Or, how about trying this - use a piece of waxed paper, or plastic sheeting. Draw with a pin and some Gallery Glass (or similar peel and stick glass paint) a delicate tracery of webbing. When it's set, you can peel it off, and place it where you want it! You could design the web first, place the design under the clear plastic, and just trace over it.

If you have some real cobwebs you could try transferring them - rather you than me, though. I shudder over spiders. Other than that .... ask the fairies!

ok, just to be different, i'll vote for the Bench Number One as well.

how about adding a little derelict bird bath to the scene? with a bit of rock or moss or some such?

in your hands, i think most things are magical! can't wait to see how this evolves!

Oh great, what are you planning to do with your roof garden? Can't wait to see it :lol: it's nice to know when someone is making the same house as your own.

:lol:

Hi Anya,

I've been working away on my BH but have not been able to post any pictures lately because we have been doing work in my full scale house in the room that houses my main computer with all my dh files on it. Been useing DH's laptop until the room is done. In the meantime I will just drool over your's and everybody elses.

I have installed a french door on the wall adjacent to the roof over the kitchen and plan to make that room a sitting/library with access to the roof which will be somewhat of a garden/sitting area. We'll see I have a way to go before I decide. The house is going to be a bed and breakfast

Now DH has put a damper on my idea of the old abandoned secret roof garden. He said "The interior of the house is immaculate and modern and if you have a derelict roof garden it would look out of place." Ok I can see his point and I never thought about this one but how can I get around this problem? I have added old elements to the interior of the house but nothing looks distressed as such. Ooooh what can I doooo?? :lol:

Hi Anya,

I've been working away on my BH but have not been able to post any pictures lately because we have been doing work in my full scale house in the room that houses my main computer with all my dh files on it. Been useing DH's laptop until the room is done. In the meantime I will just drool over your's and everybody elses.

I have installed a french door on the wall adjacent to the roof over the kitchen and plan to make that room a sitting/library with access to the roof which will be somewhat of a garden/sitting area. We'll see I have a way to go before I decide. The house is going to be a bed and breakfast

Wow I love the idea of a B&B I was going to turn my BH into one of those originally.:lol:

Hmm... well one could make into a more of a "magical" garden then.... Sort of lush and lots of foliage, some vines climbing and perky mushrooms etc etc, a place where the fairies would dwell and enjoy themselves a lot. Sort of like Never-land???

Hugs