Where do you buy stuff?

Corey

Where do you all buy stuff for your houses?

The only place I really know of, besides the one dollhouse shop in my area, is Ebay. I love how you can find anything an everything but hate the shipping prices! The prices of the items seem to be ok (but I really dont have anything to compare it to) but I am shocked at how much some sellers are charging for shipping. Most will combine shipping but at $1.00 per item. I would understand if it was heavy furniture but not fot the little accessories. I found some really cute items but it would have cost me almost $10.00 in shipping! :blink: It should not have cost more than a few dollars since they were all tiny and would have fit in a regular envelope. I have been on Ebay for a long time so I get how it all works with the sellers making up cost on the shipping fees..but I think this is a bit much.

or is it just me?

Corey, we don't even have a dollhouse store in the hinterlands of Montana here....we are as dry here as the desert! I used to live in California and Massachusetts where dollhouse stores and mini shops were as thick as trees! I bought a lot of things (I was working then) back then, and brought them with me.....but they are gone because I stupidly sold a lot of my dolls with the "prop" furniture they were with......no more! So now I trade my dolls for dollhouse kits, furniture and other supplies! I went to Seattle a while back and had a very good time! Got some new things....but mostly I order online at HBS or some of the other people who sell dollhouse supplies. I went to Google and typed in "dollhouses" and you should see all that comes up. Then I typed in "dollhouse sales" and WOW! You can find anything you want - without having to go to ebay!

Wolfie

I usually make my stuff, buy from ebay, HBS, WWM or Dejoux Miniatures. There are no dollhouse stores in my parts either!! I also participate in a few swaps on various groups, which helps my collection to grow as well.

I use a combination of things. I make some stuff myself and then divide the rest between my local Pearle store, miniatures.com and dollhousecollectibles.com

I wish I had a store to go to but unfortunately there is none in my area. dollhousecollectibles has so much stuff that its impossible for me to sit and browse it all and the prices are very good. The shipping is reasonable as well. If I dont find it there its because I suppose it doesnt exist.

Your right though, the shipping in a lot of sites is rediculous. I always tell my husbdand, who is a big online shopper, that whatever your discount on the item is, you get it right back in shipping charges. In a way, I understand because they arent just charging for the shipping but the actual cost of the boxes and wrap also. That can be more expensive than the actual shipping if the sender isnt careful where they buy them.

I remember I had to send a small package to a friend of mines who lives in Kentucky and was in a hurry so I didnt buy the box and bubble wrap before hand at a cheap place and they charged me an arm and a leg to wrap it up for shipping at Mail Boxes Etc. All it needed was a bubble envelope or small box and it cost more than the shipping charges! Thats why Im not surprised when they charge 10 or 12 dollars for shipping an item. Its really up to the sender to get the best deal so he doesnt pass on the expense to the buyer in the end.

I also do a combination of things. Make my own, AC Moore or the local dollhouse store and on line--ebay, miniatures.com (HBS), DeJoux, and several other sites I have come across either here or on my own.

www.miniatures.com (folks here will talk about "Ernie" who is the "proprietor"); DeJoux miniatures, eBay (but you're right, you have to watch the shipping. But then, miniatures.com charges a lot, too!)

And I get lots of paper stuff free from online sites. I just found The Dollhouse Factory on line, too -- and while I haven't bought from them yet, their stuff seems reasonable.

There are no stores near me either, unless I drive an hour to Bangor. Depending on my need at the moment, I make some things, or buy online most of the time. DeJoux Miniatures offers a 5% discount if you sign up for their Customer Club, so that helps a bit with shipping.

As to eBay sellers charging a lot for shipping (& handling); I recently read that they are re-formatting the feedback forum so that we will be able to comment on sellers' shipping. Maybe if enough gripe about the costs, it will send a message! :blink:

Wolfie

I found these stores in MT

Montana

On A Smaller Scale

E-mail: smscale@imt.net

805 - 16th Street West

Billings, MT 59102

(406) 259-0692

Tues. - Sat. 10-6

Broken Wheel Gallery-Miniature World

406 - 5th Avenue South

Great Falls, MT 59405

(406) 452-3424

Monday-Friday 10-4

Thanks everyone! I am going to check out the sites you listed. I bought a bunch of building supplies for a roombox that I am working on from DeJoux.. but I didnt think to go back and see if they had accessories and other items besides wood and stuff.

This the links to find some of the stores in your state or Canada

http://www.miniatures.org/shop_map.shtml

This links is to find clubs that might be in your area

http://www.miniatures.org/clubs.shtml

Good links for businesses online and real store fronts and collections

http://www.smallstuff-digest.com/links.htm

http://www.imaginationmall.com/

This is a search engine for projects locater in minature magazines

http://www.miniatures.org/search.shtml

When I first starting buying accessories for my Beacon Hill I shopped on ebay. As I became more educated, I shopped more and more in sellers stores (both on ebay and online). Some of the sellers that I shop with frequently now give me quite good deals. Sometimes they send me an e-mail where I can get a really good (40%) discount on an order from their stores. Others have given me free shipping. A few sellers do reward frequent shoppers; others, not at all.

I'm trying to learn to make more items. There are some incredible miniature artisans and I do like to acquire some very well-made miniatures.

Good luck as you find out which sellers offer items that you are interested in and at affordable prices.

-Susanne

I like Dejoux minis too.

There is a miniature store in Manchester, CT (carrie know the name) there are couple in the boston area too. I have just AC Moore, ebay, online stores and books to make it yourself.

I get some of my minis from Hobby Lobby. They have a 50% off sale of doll house things usually once a month. I live near a doll house store where I get some of my stuff, I order from Hobby Builders Supply, I make some things and yet, I Ebay. I don't know why or how sellers can get so much for shipping. I usually set a price range in my mind ahead of time, and stick to it.

Susan

No, I can't remember what Kate said the name was. Hold on....I made a list of all the stores I could find in CT, MA, RI and NH....where did I put it <<frantically looking through piles of papers>> Found it!! Ok in Manchester I have New England Hobby(I just googled it and it is also called Time Machine. I think that is the name Kate used). In RI, there are shops in Newport (as Corey mentioned), Stamping Thyme Studio in Wakefield and Dwyers Doll House in Warwick. I've never been to any and haven't checked to see if they are still in existence--I found some are no longer open on my list in MA. Heidi, ever hear of the Country Peddler in North Haven, CT? There seem to be alot more towards NY State than your part of CT (New Milford area and one in Greenwich, Norwalk, etc.) Sorry!

Dwyers is where I bought the supplies for wiring my dollhouse. They had great prices and great stuff but the girl was not very nice to me. Maybe she was just having a bad day..

Country peddler in N. Haven comes up as a florist but then they say there is no listing so it must be out of business.

Oh cool! I called this place that was listed in the american miniaturist mag this month and it is so close I could KISS IT!

It is called Jane`s Dollhouses and Miniatures and it is in Lyme, CT. About a 20 min drive for me.

Then there is Mirabella Miniatures in Fairfield (too far for me).

In Mass there is Den of Antiquity in Danvers.

I wont be able to go to the one close to me until maybe next month but I will definitely go! I told her I was so thrilled that I found her. She laughed and said yup, places like hers are a dying breed.

OH i hear ya on Ebay shipping. Miniature shipping prices are ridiculous. A tiny item that would fit in an envelope and could be shipped for the cost of one stamp almost always carries a minimum $5 shipping charge. It is for this reason I avoid ebay for miniatures. I might here and there for an obscure item, otherwise i forego it.

I use Miniatures.com (hobby builder supply) or dollhousecollectibles.com. Between the two of them I find eveyrhting I need most of the time. ANd miniatures.com has great sales all thru the year. I get my wish list going and when it reaches a certain amount I wait for a sale and make a big purchase.

Isn't it all of our wishes to have at least one really fantastic Miniature Store within a day's driving distance!

We can all dream ......

-Susanne

It would be heaven on earth!

It would be heaven on earth!

Add a hangar type of building where I could hosue all the goodiesd as well and I wouldn't move outside it for as long as I could stay in there!

Hugs :blink:

Just to add a few more shopping ideas - my personal favorites are www.earthandtree.com ($3.95 shipping under $50, free over $50!) and www.manorhouseminis. Manor House ships for less than $5, no matter how much you order, and they have great weekly sales.