How do I cut out window openings with a dremel

beccas1963

It depends...are you using 1/8 inch plywood or 3/8? If you use 1/8 like Tracy said you could probably get away with a utility/hobby knife.

If 3/8 inch you will definitely need a cutting tool like a dremel. A dremel is like a miniature saw when you use a "cut off wheel" bit. That will turn it into a mini saw for you.

the cutting tools that are made for dremel or any rotary tool i hear are not the best out there. There are other tools for cutting far superior. But you should be able to get it to cut out a window opening.

If 1/8 inch plywood what I have done is use a utility knife to cut thru the wood initially large enough to insert my fine tooth X-Acto saw. The X-Acto saw blade is pretty small so that your intial hole to get it in there does not have to be huge. Luan (1/8 inch) plywood cuts very easy with a tiny fine tooth saw blade.

ok reading the sticker

it says artcraft plywood 3/32

And I couldnt click that link it said not found?

you know I wonder if..... pretend I draw the window and when I cut move in a bit so I can clean up the edges?

And I will look for that mandrel thing too.

Bec

Bec, I think you'd be happiest cutting the hole as you said, a bit smaller than it needs to be, and doing it with a hand tool, a knife or saw. The little Dremel saw blade is not the best thing for cutting straight lines and/or interior shapes. It has to be held at an angle, which can lead to skips, wandering cut lines, and bloody fingers if it catches in the wood or your hand shakes or the gods of the workbench are feeling feisty and decide to play with you.

Above all, be careful. We'll miss you if you're only typing one-handed!

What is the Dremel useful for, in our miniature world? I've just got the dremel 400, with flexshaft & 80 assorted accs. I'm amazed by how powerful it is - I suppose I thought it would be more of a 'hobby' tool.

Jackie

Bec, if the wood is 3/32 you can cut it with a utility knife using a steel straightedge. If you're dying to use your Dremel stick a 1/8" drillbit in there & drill inside the corners of your openings and then insert your coping or scrollsaw blade in there to cut the critter out.

What is the Dremel useful for, in our miniature world?
I use mine to drill, rout, sand, carve and sometimes cut. It can be vertically mounted and used as a mini tablesaw or lathe. You're only limited by your imagination.

I used my dremel with a special tool for cutting drywall for my windows. It looks like a long drill bit with a cuff around it so you can lay it flat.

To be honest, it made very imprecise cuts, the corners are all round, and I will need a lot of filler, wallpaper and siding the correct it. Maybe someone more talented than I can use the dremel better to get straight cuts, but when I cut the door I used the utility knife and was much happier.

What I think I need is a mini sawz-all (reciprocating saw) for cutting out windows and doors, but I haven't found one of those yet.

-Tiffany

I don't know, Tiffany, we've been talking about cutting material that cuts with three or four passes of a sharp utility knife, so using that puppy reminds me of tiptoeing through the tulips in a Panzer tank...

I don't know, Tiffany, we've been talking about cutting material that cuts with three or four passes of a sharp utility knife, so using that puppy reminds me of tiptoeing through the tulips in a Panzer tank...

Do you mean overkill???? :groucho: You are probably right, Holly. How I became a miniaturist with as little patience as I have is beyond me. I'm always looking for something to make things a little bit easier, but I think just slowing down might be the key. Back to the utility knife.

-Tiffany

How I became a miniaturist with as little patience as I have is beyond me. I'm always looking for something to make things a little bit easier, but I think just slowing down might be the key.
I have the teeshirt souvenir of having been there & done that, is why I sometimes come across as sarcastic or blunt. Sometimes the easiest was is the slowest, but then I'm making miniatures to "lose" myself in the process, to get into "the Zone", and then time and patience become moot.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I think I will wait till Saturday or Sunday and then figure it all out. The utility knife sounds good. I didnt find the key hole saw And I have only used the dremel for making holes and sanding so far so dont think that is a good idea right now.

Yes I want no blood and I want to keep all my fingers lol.

Bec

• 16 years later...

This was an excellent thread. Exactly the situation I’m in trying to enlarge windows/doors in an MDF vintage dollhouse. Tried a hand jigsaw and made a messy off kilter cut. I can cover it, but it took hours and I have 14 more to do plus three doors. Will try the utility knife and a keyhole saw. Is a compass saw the same as a keyhole? Hope so. Thanks for the help y’all. 

Marilee, The video below shows cutting a circular hole in mdf with a tool from Harbor Freight but there are similar tools available at other big box hardware stores.  Another vid on the same channel shows cutting a door opening with a utility knife so you might want to look at that. If your house is not assembled yet you could cut openings with a scroll saw by drilling a hole in the corners where the opening is going to be take the blade out of the saw lay your wood on the table and then put the blade up through the hole. MDF is a little thick/tough for that though. Drilling a small hole in the corners for a starting point for whatever blade you use is a pretty good idea anyway. I have a special attachment for my Dremel (pic somewhere on Forum already) that allows it to cut straight lines. I've never tried it with just the blades that it comes with. I also have the tool pictured below which is similar to the setup for the attachment on the Dremel.  I doubt that attachment is available anymore. Good luck! Be careful with fingers and use safety glasses of course. 

https://youtu.be/EhjcNqBCiQ0?feature=shared

rsz_120240131_075125.jpg

Edited by FurMama
Spelling

Thank you. I did watch the circular cut, it helped a bit. I also found the other one about starting with a drilled hole. After more searching in dremel attachments I’ve decided to try with a Japanese flush saw as the windows are cut out, but need to be enlarged. So hoping I can do that instead of buying more stuff for the dremel and then learning how to assemble and all. Thanks sooo much! This is a great resource for tips. I’m pretty new at all of this and it takes me a bit to catch on. This is the best craft I’ve ever done. And I think miniaturists are the most awesome folks!!

• Like 1