Primer & wallpaper

caitejay

Okay, I'm almost done with my stairs, and I'm realizing that I'm going to have to wallpaper at least one wall prior to installing them, otherwise it's going to be a nightmare to do it after the fact. I can't find my notes on what type of primer to use - just regular old house painting primer?

I'm also shopping wallpaper, and haven't liked what I've found. Does anyone have any good sites for buying damask-type wallpaper, especially wallpaper that would have raised velvety sections? I'm thinking about buying a wallpaper sample book on eBay, but haven't found any books that I like yet.

Okay, I'm almost done with my stairs, and I'm realizing that I'm going to have to wallpaper at least one wall prior to installing them, otherwise it's going to be a nightmare to do it after the fact. I can't find my notes on what type of primer to use - just regular old house painting primer?

I'm also shopping wallpaper, and haven't liked what I've found. Does anyone have any good sites for buying damask-type wallpaper, especially wallpaper that would have raised velvety sections? I'm thinking about buying a wallpaper sample book on eBay, but haven't found any books that I like yet.

If you mean the one that has all the wallpaper for mini's ok if you just mean a sample book for real life, don't buy go to all the home decorating places and paint stores in your area and ask them for their discontinued sample books. If you go to all of them, they all should have the same ones pretty much and you'll end up with plenty to do the project. It's what I did.

As to the primer, how about Kilz, you can get it in spray or cans and I haven't tried it yet but I have some and plan on it. It's not that expensive and should last a good while.

Kat

Actually, any interior housepaint is a suitable primer. I have a can of cheap ceiling white latex that has a matte finish and works well as a base coat for painting or as a base for wallpaper. I use it on everything that isn't going to be stained.

I learned through rehabbing my Brimble that priming before installing wallpaper helps if later you want to go back and remove the wallpaper. The areas on the Brimble that were primed were MUCH easier to clean up than where the paper was installed directly over the bare wood. Any basic paint primer will work fine. I use a white primer that we used on our real house insides.

Good ideas on the wallpaper -- if you want to use "real" wallpaper, the paint stores often give away their sample books. Otherwise, I found the papers used for scrap-booking were MUCH cheaper than the paper sold as "dollhouse wallpaper", and it seemed to work just fine. I didn't notice if there was any with the velvet though, like you're looking for..

I actually do have a lot of scrapbooking stores around here (and a whole pile of scrapbooking paper, the thick kind) - but how would I apply it? With the wallpaper paste? Won't the paper crinkle and warp? Maybe I should test it on scrap wood.

but how would I apply it? With the wallpaper paste? Won't the paper crinkle and warp? Maybe I should test it on scrap wood.

I use scrapbook paper all the time. I find that if you just glue aroung the edges with aileen tacky glue then smooth it out with your finger it holds on just fine. It doesn't buckle and stays smooth. I was afraid of putting glue all over it also so I tried this method with positive results :)

I'm going to try it. I can't stand the idea of paying $15/sheet for "official" dollhouse wallpaper, especially when I can't see the stuff in person before I buy it. And I've seen gorgeous scrapbooking pages, so I'm sure I can find something that fits the look I'm going for.

I can't stand the idea of paying $15/sheet for "official" dollhouse wallpaper, especially when I can't see the stuff in person before I buy it. And I've seen gorgeous scrapbooking pages, so I'm sure I can find something that fits the look I'm going for.

I'm the same way when it comes to wallpaper. I won't order any online cause you don't know what the exact color is going to be. For my harrison I've been printing wallpaper from the computer, faster and cheaper :) , I'm happy with the results so far.

As for primer I used white latex house paint I had from my real house and it worked just fine.

I actually do have a lot of scrapbooking stores around here (and a whole pile of scrapbooking paper, the thick kind) - but how would I apply it? With the wallpaper paste? Won't the paper crinkle and warp? Maybe I should test it on scrap wood.

I use rubber cement to mount it. Put the cement on the wall and all over the back of the paper. Let dry. Touch edge of paper to corner (or floor edge) and gently smooth into place. No wrinkles, as the paper is relatively dry and easy to handle. Can be peeled off carefully and stuck back down if it needs to be adjusted.

The above works for me. I have problems with pastes that get the paper wet and soak in. The silly paper wants to turn into mush, and I can't push mush around very well!

I don't think what you use to glue it on matters as much as how comfortable you are with the process.

I'm going to try it. I can't stand the idea of paying $15/sheet for "official" dollhouse wallpaper, especially when I can't see the stuff in person before I buy it. And I've seen gorgeous scrapbooking pages, so I'm sure I can find something that fits the look I'm going for.

Oh my, I don't know where you're shopping but the highest price I've seen for dollhouse wallpaper is $2.50 per sheet. Still high, but a lot less than $15!

I've tried several methods of applying wallpaper and the one that I find works the best for me is to use 'Mod Podge'. I apply a thin coat to the primed wall and a thin coat to the paper and then apply it to the wall. Applying some to the wall as well makes it easier to shift the paper this way or that when applying. Then I gently smooth it out with my hand. You will occasionally get a few bubbles, but they disappear as the Mod Podge dries.

Good luck!

Unfortunately for me, I tend to want to buy things that I can't (or shouldn't) afford. I always seem to like the most expensive thing, dollhouse wallpaper included!

I've mentioned elsewhere I use regular wallpaper paste to apply wallpaper (unoriginal, but it works), even when I'm using giftwrap, shelfliner or scrapbook pages, and so far none of it has turned to mush.

I hear you, Caite! My husband's favorite expression is "of course you do"!

When I point to the most expensive thing in the store and say, "That's the one I want!", my husband says, "Well that's a surprise."

:)

I just used white glue thinned with water..but the rubber cement idea sounds good, too. I think I'll try that on my Brimble, and see how it works!

This is what I use too! I DO NOT Saturate the (scrapbook) Paper, like you would with REAL wallpaper. Just a light brushing is fine!

caitejay, there is a nice range of damask-like scrapbooking paper that i've seen. some of the designs are too large for a mini, but some are way cool.

i've been haunting the stores around here (the clerk at A.C. Moore's actually said "See you tomorrow!" when i checked out :) ) and have seen a lot of textured papers at A.C. Moore, Jo-Ann's, and, if i remember it correctly, Michael's or maybe it was Tarjet.

hope you'll go fur it, and post photos too.