Another Newbie Question

Tess11

I come here to see all of your beautiful pictures and encouraging words to get inspired. Then I go to work on my project and I see how little I know how to do. I have absolutely no woodworking experience, so it's a big learn-as-I-go adventure. It's a good thing (as Martha would say), but I do get a little discouraged because progress is so slow and I have to spend so much time learning. I'm sure after I've done a few things I'll get the hang of it.

My question today is how to you all make your cutouts square and level, as in for windows and doors?

For my redo, my windows are about 1/2 inch bigger than the old openings, so I traced the new windows, made a pattern, drew it on the house and cut out the excess from the old opening with the dremel tool. One was perfect, the other is crooked. So is there a technique to getting things square, level, plumb, whatever the proper word is????

Thanks again. Sorry for all these questions, but hopefully it will benefit the other newbies. I tried to seach for the answer but I didn't find what I was looking for.

-Tiffany

It's like the old question, "How do you get to Carnegie hall?"....."....practice, practice...practice..." :lol:

and wood putty, caulk, "window treatments" to hide the obvious errors, trial and error, the carpenter's mantra (measure twice, cut once..) ...

and did I say, "Practice!" :)

If I need something cut straight--I give it to DH. :giggle: I can't draw a straight line no matter what ruler I try to use. I also have noticed I have to be very careful using the dremel or I have a little curve in everything. I even bought me a laser level, have several squares and still can't seem to get anything perfectly straight. I just see things crooked.

"Straight" and "level" are in my vocabulary, but not my repertoire, or, thank God for window trim! I have found that if it absolutely positively must be straight & level, the square and a vise are my friends. "Measure twice (at least) & cut once" is also very useful.

Thank you all for your advice- and yes, it does make me feel better that old houses are never straight or level!

Tonight I have had quite a victory of sorts. I went to Walmart for a few household items and just stood for a few minutes in the small tools to see what I thought might help me. I came home with a little level, a carpenter's triangle, a utility knife (OK, so I didn't have one before, and actually had to look it up on google to see what is was from the supply list. Yes, I am a girly girl but I'm working on it!), and wood filler. The carpenter's triangle is a WONDERFUL thing! A few more measurements and level checking, and my windows now line up and are not crooked! :wave:

I will need the wood filler to correct the boo-boos, but the siding outside and wallpaper inside should hide the damage. I'm so happy- this one little thing has given me confidence to go forward!

I am dollhouse builder- hear me roar!!! :giggle:

-Tiffany

Yes, I went a little crazy yesterday, too...went to Menards, bought a mini-pry-bar, more blue tape (I LOVE blue tape! :lol: ) some exacto-knife blades, a 3 foot retractable tape measure, more clamps, some tiny plant pots for my greenhouse...a whole BUNCH of stuff.

Decided against the saw. I'm dangerous enough to life and limb without that. And with four cats running around "helping", I'd be too worried.

And then when I got home there was the box of stuff I'd ordered from Ernie, waitin' for me on the porch! So a GOOD day! :yes: :o

And then when I got home there was the box of stuff I'd ordered from Ernie, waitin' for me on the porch! So a GOOD day! :lol: :o

Don't you just LOVE days like that??

Hi Tiffany and welcome to the best darn dh (dollhouse) forum on the face of this earth!

You can hide, fix, and thoroughly disguise any boo-boos you make.

Here is my first dh, Skilcraft Colonial.

It may look semi-good in the photos but that sucker has mistakes hidden all over the place.

I am glad I havent finished the interior. I have learned alot more since the HUD house and I plan on doing a rehab on her.

Cant wait to see pics of the house.

Did you mention what house you are building? Maybe I missed it.

Two of my most used tools are a flat carpenter's square and acombination square.

A carpenter's flat square is made of metal and is shaped like an L. You use it to draw out squares and rectangles. You place it on the board or paper, then just draw your lines following the inside angle of the L. Then just measure over to your width and height, make a couple of marks and draw out the rest of the shape. Very simple. You can turn the level around and recheck your marks if you want to double check.

This level costs around $6 or 7.

The combination level is also an L, but is used in a slightly different way.

The short arm of the L is adjustable, and if you place it against the side of a piece of wood it will hang down over the edge. This way you can draw a straight line oin any piece of wood. Carpenters use this kind of level to draw a straight line on 2 x4's for cutting. I also use it on plywood pieces and those small basswood panels for furniture making, etc. This square runs $10-15.

As mentioned by others, with practice and a bit of thought, you'll be amazed how well you can hide mistakes.

I think my DH (husband, not dollhouse) has a carpenter's square, so I'll try it out. Sounds like great tools, both of the ones you mentioned, grazhina. Thanks! I'm trying to get my own stash of tools so I don't have to spend time looking for DH's. Last night I called him from the store to ask a question about the utilty knife and he said he had a brand new one. I said, can I have it and keep it? He said, umm, no, better buy your own. :o

Heidi, there are a couple of pics in my gallery of my little house. It's an Arrow that my Dad and I built when I was a little girl and I'm redoing it. It was pretty much built and never painted or decorated. I had some furniture we made from a kit and I played with the house quite a bit. At Christmas time I mentioned I wanted to build a new dollhouse and my parents pulled my old friend out of storage. I'm fixing it up as practice because I know it will forgive my many mistakes. Then on to the Garfield, which right now scares me half to death, but I know I'll be able to do it with lots of practice, and this wonderful forum for inspiration, advice, and help!

-Tiffany

Husbands get possesive about their tools, but my Dh will walk off with my stuff without blinking an eye ! I've been slowly buying all my own hand tools. Sometimes I let him borrow them.

The other afternoon he was grousing at me becasue I stuck his hammer someplace, which I didn't! I had no idea where his hammer was. I noticed that later that he found the darn thing.