Prototype play house

glen

Now you see it --- now you don’t, well not as much anyway.

fold2.jpg

fold1.jpg

What do you think? We’re stretched for indoor room (seen the size of babies doll house???!!!??) and mum wanted something for baby to play in so I made this as a prototype. Nothing locking it together at the moment but I’ll use Velcro after it’s painted. Folds down to 100mm thick. Plus I can carry it outside in fine weather. Baby loves it but I told mum it was her job to paint and decorate it.

Has two fold down chairs and a table

Cheers

Glen

mmmmm going to have to put some pressure on mum. Thought I'd use the same colours as the dollhouse but really ham it up with flowers and birds and stickers and curtains etc. Make it a real girly house.

Need to find a cheaper supply of piano hinges though. $120 NZ just for hinges :)

It's cool. Baby takes her drinks into it and has set up her big dolls in it already.

Making it up in the workshop the chairs seemed tiny but they're actually the right height for a table at the moment. Still she'll grow into it.

Glen, it's a wonderful playhouse. Love the way you constructed it--and Holly's right, better patten the design! :)

We were thinking of taking Amanda's playhouse down. Yours is so cute, you can set it up anywhere. She and her dad built it when she was three, so her chosen colors then were purple and yellow. Now since we're short of room, we're thinking of re-doing her playhouse for those teenage years, so it can accomadate some pieces of her own collection of dollhouses, and cd's, etc.

Love the house--did you use a heavyweight cardboard? It's too cute.

If you want to decorate it, use those Plaid stencils and rub ons, with stencil paint for a flower border, etc.

ooohhhhh Glen! I do so look forward to building such a thing for my Grandaughter.

my own daughter had a box....a recliner box. my oldest son and I used crayons to decorate it and she played in it for about 3 yrs...we all were upset when finally she was to big and it had just been loved/used too much!

when we build one for Granddaughter it will be for all future grandkids as well

yours is great and your baby is a doll!

nutti :)

Glen, it's wonderful.  Did you design it yourself? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, thanks, Didn't really expect responses, just wanted to share.

Yep, from concept to reality. Figured if they can make suitcases turn into go-karts I could make a playhouse fold down surely.. :)

No it's not light. I've seen mates kids climbing in and out of windows so had to allow for that. That’s why the side window is big enough to fit through but the front window is too small and next to an oversize door. Plus windows help lighten it without compromising strength down where it's needed. (I hope.) Don’t want it to collapse and hurt anyone. Another reason for big piano hinges. I also think i'll extend it forward another 200 mm before painting. That gives me 3'6" x 3". Then I'll put some of the wheels that when you stand on them they jack things up. That'll make it portable for mum.

Anyway. Lots of fun.

Cheers Glen

I'm going to move this thread into "other creative endeavors". If this isn't creative, I don't know what is! :D

It's a really neat little house. I would have loved something like that as a kid.

Dear Glen,

Awesome idea!!! Space is at such a premium in New York City. We have a one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood and consider ourselves very lucky. Last year, we gave up trying to share the bedroom and made that our daughter's bedroom and we sleep on a loft bed 6 feet up with our computer/office underneath. It's quite cozy and we only realize that it's weird when we visit the suburbs.

Anyway getting to the point...the playhouse rocks! And it would be perfect for folks like us. I always drool over the Little Tikes playhouses but there just ain't no way.

You are a very talented builder! Keep it up!

Annamommynous

Thanks all

I was going to wait a couple of weeks but relented and added 200 mm to the sides to see if it made enough difference. I was quite surprised how just a little extra gave a huge difference, The couch now fits in side ways and she can put her little plastic chairs in no trouble.

Even mum, myself and baby fitted in it with no trouble.

playhouse.jpg

Added two extra windows to both the side and back. That lightened it up considerably.

In all honesty I think I'm just over compensating 'cause I know what she really needs is a sibling.

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

OK Last post.

Several people have E-mailed me abut plans.

Unfortunately two things. 1) I didn't use formal plans just sketches and calcs on the white board and unfortunately 2) I told mum I was going to provide sketches and she was all upset baby’s hut wasn't going to be unique anymore.

So, for now, sorry. But give us a couple of weeks when mums sick of vacuuming around the hut and has stubbed her toes on it I'm sure she’ll be happy enough for me to do a set of drawings. With regards to patents. a) I don’t know how to do it and :D wouldn't know what to charge and c) I'm sure someone will have done this already.

Cheers

Glen.

Check it out! but first here's a picture of baby checking out the hut for size in her toy pram. This is not a pose. It's one of those moments you catch unexpectedly. Too cute.

playtest.jpg

play1a.jpg

play2.JPG

Oh, Glen, your little girl is such a cutie! And I hope your government has some sort of patent office where you can register your design. Even if mum doesn't change her mind, someone reading your post & seeing the lovely pictures might copy your design; at least if you patent & copywrite the design you can collect royalties if they do.