Do I need to paint the pieces first?

alisaveta

Hi Everyone,

I am new to dollhousing. My best friend got me the Harrison for my birthday and I'm very excited.

Should I paint the pieces before I assemble them? Should I do the 50/50 shellac/wood alcohol before I assemble the house? How long will it take me to assemble the house? (8 hours, 60 days? I have no idea what to expect.)

Thank you for your help, Alisa

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I just purchased the Harrison myself, it's a pretty house.

I personally don't use any of the prep stuff such as primer, shellac etc...so i can't help you on that! I'm sure someone can help you tho!

Hi, Alisa -

I'm also new to dollhousing, and so far I love it!

Based on my research, I think you should seal first - before you even punch any of the pieces out of the sheets. Seal the entire sheet, all of them. Then punch them out and sand them. This seems to be a huge time saver.

Painting first seems to be optional - I think it's certainly easier to paint prior to assembly, but if you're installing electric, then it might not be the best idea. Plus you may change your mind after it's all put together and choose different colors. Personally, I'm probably not going to paint my pieces first. I've seen plenty of dollhouse construction pictures online where the assembled dollhouse is completely unpainted.

Not sure about your particular dollhouse, but I'm planning on not finishing assembly of my dollhouse for probably 2 months - and I'll be working on it only a few hours a week (job, baby, etc.).

Hope that helps!

Welcome Alisa to the forum. I've never done the Harrison but it is on my want list. It took me 9 months to complete my first house the Lily. We have some builders who can build a house in a matter of days and then there are some like me who takes months and I believe some have worked on them for years. It really has to do with how much time you have to devote to it.

Some of us seal the wood by using sanding sealer, I don't think there is many who use the alcohol/shellac method any more. Some don't seal at all and just use a primer paint. Word of caution if you want to stain any of the wood parts, don't seal or prime those parts.

We all have different ways of decorating our houses. There are a lot of people who will paint/wallpaper etc before assembly, especially if they are not going to wire the house. There is some who do it all after assembly, and there is some houses that require that you do a little of both due to the access to some of the rooms after assembly.

Look over the construction blogs, there is lots of helpful hints and tutorials and also shows how different people interpret the same house.

Good Luck and enjoy your build.

Welcome to the forum, Natasha :doh: , we're glad you're here. The Harrison is a beautiful house I hope one day to build.

Seal the entire sheet, all of them.
if you want to stain any of the wood parts, don't seal or prime those parts.

Since this house has a Tudor exterior you may wish to stain and otherwise prep the "timbering" and, quite possibly, the doors, windows and their trims, and as Peggi has pointed out, stain won't penetrate wood that has been sealed (logically).

Also in the early stages of building tab & slot die-cut kits I primed/ painted/ sealed before assembly and I had a problem with the joins popping loose and/ or taking forever to dry until I read a post from Linda Cullen that they didn't prime or seal until after assembly in order to get a good wood-to-wood bond with the wood gllue; so I stopped sealing/ priming before construction and guess what? So now the only prep work I do is to sand the sheets before punching out pieces & scribe & stain my "floorboards". I sand the edges smooth, I prime the ceilings before assembly (and floors if I'm going for a stone or tile look) and then I prime the rest of it after the shell's assembled.

Well, shoot, I didn't mean to write you a book! (scuffs toe a couple of times and skulks back into my corner)

Hi Alisa, and welcome!

There is a handy list of the approximate time it takes to build Greenleaf houses HERE

It indicates build time for the Harrison at 15 hours. That does not include painting, wallpapering, or electrifying.

Good luck with your build. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and for sure take pictures to share with us as well as to have a record for yourself. (After you've made 5 posts, you can create an album in the Gallery.)

Hi and welcome!!

I ususally put together the shell (walls, foundation) and then prime and paint or stain. Well also do the electrical wiring before painting or wallpapering. I paint and stain the trim before I put it up and it is important to do the windows before putting the "glass" in so you don't get paint or stain on it.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

:doh:

Carrie

Hello! As people have probably noticed I hit up all the people I find who are working on or have built the Harrison. I'm new, as well, and am working on the same kit. Christmas gift from husband. I'm excited and slightly apprehensive about the project, so perhaps we can stumble through together. For me, the building process is going sloooowly, but that's because I have a two-year-old and can only work late at night after he's in bed. I've been painting and wall-papering as I go along, and so far I haven't had any regrets because of it, but we'll see how it goes.

Just watch out for those places that will be too hard to get to after the house in together

This is one of the purposes of the dry-fit (another is to check whether tabe or slots will need "surgery)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support. I am moving to my own new place soon and probably won't start construction for a month or so. When I do, I'll be sure to post! Can't wait to get started and thanks again, Alisa

Hi Alisa, Welcome to the forum! I've built the Harrison and I must caution you to do your work on the hidden room before you assemble the house. You will never get to it if you don't. I'm one who likes to have my houses all assembled before doing any interior or exterior work but found with the Harrison that's not possible with this hidden room.

Good luck with it and most of all, enjoy it.

Hi Alisa! I also just bought the Harrison! It is also my 1st dollhouse. We can build together. I have the same questions that you do. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Welcome!

We have found a great group of people and a wonderful source of information here. :o