Seeking Sleuth 14

Blondie

the pictures from the one guy who built the entire Beacon Hill in 5 days?

Yeah, Stephan worked at least 8 hours/day & had his wife & son helping one entire day, that was truly a dh-building marathon. HEY! Gary, how'd it go?

Did you see the pictures from the one guy who built the entire Beacon Hill in 5 days?

Whaaaaat???? :laughbounce: I searched around for this, but didn't see any threads. Can you point me in the right direction while we continue our search for Mr. Sleuth?

Did anyone pm him? An email would then be sent in case he checks that regular and hasn't had time to come here.

Yes, I sent him a PM with the URL for this thread and said he had an eager audience waiting for a report. :laughbounce:

Yes... I made it presentable in time for the holidays... Finished it at 3:30 in the morning on the night of our "Christmas Eve", Dec. 26th.

Sorry I haven't been on. Travelling a lot and it really cut into my internet time.

Basically I got the frame constructed including the roof, minus the bay window area off the gable.

I won't be able to upload photos until tonight at the earliest.

Does anyone have any tips for filling gaps between pieces? My attic floor has about a 1/8" gap in it where two pieces didn't fit flush Apparently something is not square on my upper levels. I considered just filling it with wood putty and sanding it smooth.

Edited by sleuth14

Yay! An update! We've been waiting with bait breath...uh baited breath!

I fill in gaps with spackle and sand that down, or i use dry wall mud, depending on what i'm doing. Depending on where your gaps are, you may be able to cover them with crown molding or baseboard. (if it's on the inside of the house).

Was your daughter excited?

Can't wait for the pictures!

Yeah! :) I'm glad to hear you got it somewhat finished!! I bought some Elmer's caulk that comes in a little tube and is safer/less expensive than the big caulk. I haven't used it yet, but I think someone else here did and it worked OK. Thanks for the update!

Chester... I want to make this a dollhouse that she will enjoy when she's older, and can hand down to her kids one day.

That said... I plan on letting her choose a color "scheme"... in that I'll come up with 3 or 4 options and let her pick.

Two reasons...

1. If she makes it all girly fru fru, then I'm going to get bored with it and lose interest. Letting her pick some gender-neutral schemes will help keep me motivated.

2. She doesn't have a sense of "stylish" yet, e.g. she has decided that she would like to have all the family members sleep in the same room so that she can have more different types of rooms. Her idea is to paint each section of the bedroom a different color depending on who will sleep there. LOL.

I'll get her opinion, but ultimately it will be up to me to help her keep it from looking gaudy or goofy.

As for construction help... I'll wait to see if she shows interest. When I was her age, I wanted nothing to do with that stuff.

I'll get her opinion, but ultimately it will be up to me to help her keep it from looking gaudy or goofy.

Ooohhhh ... what's wrong with gaudy or goofy at her age? You can always look forward to redecorating when she gets a little older and starts fretting about how childish it looks. :)

(For reference, see bedroom in Mollie's Orchid in my Gallery. This, too, shall pass one day, I know it!)

I do not know how old the daughter is...but when I do a house for a kid I try and keep the living room and kitchen more traditional and go funky and a bit "different" with the bedrooms.

for our DD MHM she had bought massive amounts of "modern" type scrapbook paper to use

which Daddy vetoed but mommy got her some very KEWL mod furniture so we will be using more of it than he wants.

and I hope as she gets older she wont regret some of her choices...but afterall it is HER house :w00t:

and at 15 perhaps she wont regret it.

nutti :):(

2. She doesn't have a sense of "stylish" yet, e.g. she has decided that she would like to have all the family members sleep in the same room so that she can have more different types of rooms. Her idea is to paint each section of the bedroom a different color depending on who will sleep there. LOL.

Perhaps this is her sense of style - at least, for now. She has a great imagination, and how considerate of her to give each family member their own colour! If you can bear to work with it, I would encourage you to go with her ideas as much as possible. She will enjoy it all the more - and the memories will be all the brighter! :) Paint can be covered/repainted very easily later on, when her "style" has grown with her. It's obvious that you are the kind of dad who goes out of his way to make his daughter happy - keep up the great job! :(

I cast my mind back 60 years or so to recall my first dollhouse. My dad built it from plans he'd gotten somewhere. I don't remember him working on the construction in his basement workshop, although we kids spent a good deal of time down there. The only recollection I have of the dollhouse was when it came upstairs, to the kitchen table, for decorating. I can see Mom and Dad busy wallpapering it. I recall feeling on the edge of the picture. Neither I (age 6) nor my sister, 2 years younger, had any say in how it was decorated.

Other than that one memory, the slate's blank. I don't ever remember playing with the dollhouse, although I'm pretty sure it was outfitted with a goodly array of Renwal plastic furniture.

Makes me wonder if memories of the dollhouse would be any more vivid if I'd been included in the process, but of course it's all speculation.