On-line Buying Frustration

Kami

Up until now. there have been very few issues with online purchases. 12 scale doesn't always seem quite to proportion, but it works, if not adding a little wimsy, like the world's largest microscope, and 12 inch paperback books. But my last 3 purchases have been disappointing. Color does not match the picture in the description, or the quality is just awful. I don't like to get into returns and back and forth, so I am making do, with the downside being what I thought would take a few hours, or a day at the very most, will take a week minimum. Arg.

Speaking of online buys, I am looking to buy as many as 30 LED lights as pictured (not the battery), but there have been complaints that roughly 30% do not work. The seller replaces them, only to have some of the replacemens also not work, so again with sending more replacements until you have 100% working lights. There are no hobby shops anywhere near me, so I am stuck with online. Thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, there are a few quick scenes of a grand dollhouse in the film 'Miss Potter', 2006, with Renee Zellweger playing the title role of this turn-of-the-century children's author. Currently on Netflix.

image.jpeg.c2db3134cadc6eb56aed9e0a77d95529.jpeg

Edited by Kami
  • Like 2

Sometimes it is a crap shoot.

Stick to miniature sellers that work in 1/12th scale etc...There are several online dollhouse shops like Earth and Tree, Miniature Designs. Also, Etsy.

Walmart, Temu, Ali Baba......It is hit or miss. Plus Chinese sellers on eBay

Where did you buy the lighting? This shop is very reputable https://cr2s.com/

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Stick to miniature sellers that work in 1/12th scale etc...There are several online dollhouse shops like Earth and Tree, Miniature Designs. Also, Etsy.

The lights (and complaints) pictured is Amazon. I am generally happy, but as you say, it's a crapshoot. I will look at the link you provided. I am always reluctant to share CC info with new companies (recent issues aside), but I need better options if I'm going to keep surprises and stress down to managable levels.

I'm trying to add my gallery in the signature area,the way you added your blog, but mine came out the size of Texas. 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Well now you understand why I gave up and make what I want/ need (unless I luck out and find an item).

I get it now, yes. I will follow your lead.

Making the microscope might be a bit tricky...  But you'd be surprised what you can do with a bit of polymer clay, an X-acto knife and some pointed toothpicks..

11 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I looked at their selection. All excellent, really like the can lights. I didn't see lights like I posted, though, which I am hoping to find for under cabinet lighting, some modern drop lights I'm designing, and a few other places I need small lights. Did I miss them?

Amazon isn't a great option because you don't really know where it's coming from and sellers can be fast and loose with the listings. Amazon stuff might be from China and you don't know when you place the order.

Miniatures.com is a good site. Also as others have mentioned, brick & mortar train and hobby shops with an online presence can be good for supplies. There are also several good Etsy and eBay sellers for miniature supplies.

Actually I am an eBay junkie! Yes, I have found some very cool 1:12 scale goodies, have many in my wishlist. Comes down to the high cost of shipping that keeps me from going bananas and buying everything I want. 

Amazon has been hit or miss, but much of the shipping is free via Prime. I have never shopped Etsy, but surf around their site. Is it worth it?

On 3/20/2024 at 10:48 AM, Kami said:

Up until now. there have been very few issues with online purchases. 12 scale doesn't always seem quite to proportion, but it works, if not adding a little wimsy, like the world's largest microscope, and 12 inch paperback books. But my last 3 purchases have been disappointing. Color does not match the picture in the description, or the quality is just awful. I don't like to get into returns and back and forth, so I am making do, with the downside being what I thought would take a few hours, or a day at the very most, will take a week minimum. Arg.

Speaking of online buys, I am looking to buy as many as 30 LED lights as pictured (not the battery), but there have been complaints that roughly 30% do not work. The seller replaces them, only to have some of the replacemens also not work, so again with sending more replacements until you have 100% working lights. There are no hobby shops anywhere near me, so I am stuck with online. Thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, there are a few quick scenes of a grand dollhouse in the film 'Miss Potter', 2006, with Renee Zellweger playing the title role of this turn-of-the-century children's author. Currently on Netflix.

image.jpeg.c2db3134cadc6eb56aed9e0a77d95529.jpeg

I second what Carrie said, CR2S is VERY REPUTABLE and knows exactly how to wire and teaches wiring.  Evans Designs is also an amazing source for those lights.  Using either one of these will ensure that you aren't stressed out about what you're buying.

• 2 weeks later...

A 50/50 day.

Recieved some wall art of ginkgo leaves that looked pretty good in the catalog, with 'printed on canvas' as a selling point. Uh, no. Printed on very low-grade vinyl with an attempt at canvas texture. They must have been manufactured with vinyl made from used car oil. They'll be off-gassing for a hundred years. Perhaps I'll just toss 'em.

But, the 1:12 scale coffee grinder is super cute, even better than the picture. It's a keeper!