Can't follow directions

LeeB

I can't seem to follow directions. I mean I start out following the instructions and then can't resist the temptation to do it my own way. So I gotta bash and add my own personal custom modifications. In the Coventry Cottage, I did the following:

I moved the door between the two ground floor rooms closer to the back so there is a wider wall between the two doors. I did this to give me the space in both rooms to place larger pieces of furniture where they wouldn't have fit before. 

I added a gazebo to the corner of the porch. I had an unfinished wood bird feeder that I bought at a craft store that I intended to make into a miniature gazebo someday. I decided that this would be the perfect time and place.

I added half timbering to the second floor exterior and slightly modified the gingerbread in the peaks of the gables to allow the timbers to be more visible.

Most significant, I bumped out a shed-style dormer in the upstairs over the porch to give more usable floor space. I discovered that the sloped interior of the roof gave very little headroom and made it impossible to place most furniture at the edges of the space, exce[t directly in front of the windows. 

S0 - this is what I have done so far. All the structural work is done and I am ready to start furnishing it. I intended from the beginning to make this the Mad Hatter's cottage and tearoom from Alice in Wonderland. I'll start a gallery soon and add more photos once it is furnished.

IMG_4645__1703302967_60193.jpg

IMG_4646__1703303099_70890.jpg

IMG_4646__1703303099_70890.jpg

• Like 2

I so hope to have this kind of confidence and style some day with bashing...I'm just so nervous of deviating from instructions on the bigger builds! But, slowly but surely, between experiments on my end and posts from you guys, I'll learn and get there. Beautiful work!

4 hours ago, MamaV said:

I so hope to have this kind of confidence and style some day with bashing...I'm just so nervous of deviating from instructions on the bigger builds! But, slowly but surely, between experiments on my end and posts from you guys, I'll learn and get there. Beautiful work!

Thanks!

Start with small changes and before long you will work up to bigger ones. Almost anything is fixable so you don't have to worry about messing up irreversibly. Go for it!

• Like 1