The Glencroft is decorated

SusannaT

I *love* the Glencroft and Mary's story. It's an exceptional tribute to that time and the people who lived in it. Kudos on a job well done!

I'm so glad Mary found her other onaments, think she'll come help me look for mine this weekend?

Psssst. Peggi. If you can't find the ornaments, get a bunch of old cd's and put them in the microwave for a minute or so. They crackle the finish when you do, then you can hang them on ribbons and put them on the tree. Tell everyone you're going with a "high tech" theme this year. If you say that with a slightly maniacal grin, they'll all just smile, nod and avoid direct eye contact. The best part is that you won't have to look for your ornaments.

Deb

If you can't find the ornaments, get a bunch of old cd's and put them in the microwave for a minute or so. They crackle the finish when you do, then you can hang them on ribbons and put them on the tree.

Deb

I won't ask you how you came up with this idea ... I want to, but I won't! :shifty:

Psssst. Peggi. If you can't find the ornaments, get a bunch of old cd's and put them in the microwave for a minute or so. They crackle the finish when you do, then you can hang them on ribbons and put them on the tree. Tell everyone you're going with a "high tech" theme this year. If you say that with a slightly maniacal grin, they'll all just smile, nod and avoid direct eye contact. The best part is that you won't have to look for your ornaments.

Darn I knew I should have check the site earlier in the day, saw this to late, I am now officially surrounded by 8 Santa Clause figurines/dolls, 3 ceramic Christmas trains, 2 huge boxes of ornaments, snowmen, angels and miscellaneous things that sing. The tree has made from the out building to the kitchen, hopefully tomorrow it will make it out of the box and into the living room.

I won't ask you how you came up with this idea ... I want to, but I won't! :groucho:

Oh, I'll admit to that one! When I worked for Apple, we did high tech trees every year in the foyer. The nuked cd tree really kicked butt. (you can also cut ornaments out of fried logic boards)

I am now officially surrounded by 8 Santa Clause figurines/dolls, 3 ceramic Christmas trains, 2 huge boxes of ornaments, snowmen, angels and miscellaneous things that sing.

<peering into a box> Um, Peggi??? That miscellaneous thing that sings? I think it's Perry Como and you really should have packed some sandwiches in there with him when you put things away last year.

Deb

I really like your Glencroft (my fav house EVER is the GC) you have got a real 1940's feel to it, well done on the paper chains they look really effective. love the christmas tree with the brown paper parcels, and the baking table in the kitchen

a friend once made me a 1940's cook book you can read all the recipes in it, it has recipes like Curried Brains, Rabbit hot pot, tripe au gratin,sprout salad (yuk) turnips with cheese, prune mould, and eggless cake.

it is on the windowsill in my GC

Susanna, I love your Glencroft! You did an amazing job on it!

Christmas at Mary's is going to be Merry and Bright! I love all your little touches . . . the paperchain is truly magnificent . . . and that meat pie . . . I can just sit back, close my eyes and imagine how great it smells!

This house really resonated with me today . . . Brian and I just watched the series 'Band of Brothers' (we have it on DVD). It's touching that you were inspired to create in that time period. I applaud you! ;)

Oh I love that deries!

I need to get it in DVD.

I'm not sure why I wanted it set up in that era. Could be the few books I read in the summer or just maybe it was the house whispering in my ear...

Hi Susanna

Your little house took me back to my grandmothers and the years we stayed with her while my father was in the service. You captured that time so perfectly. Thanks for bringing back those bittersweet years and sharing them with us. Your decorations and the story are spot on to reflect them.