Need some thoughts on a Craftsman cottage

Kells

Funny how houses have a mind of their own, isn't it? I'll explain that in a second...

I'm sorting through projects and deciding which ones need the least work so I can at least cross a few off my list! This is one of them but now I'm kind of stuck. I picked this up cheap (like $25?) at a yard sale. I added a dormer with casement window and now suddenly I have a Craftsman on my hands!

As Holly and others often say, listen to what the house is telling you it wants. This one is screaming, "Change those windows! That gingerbread porch trim is all wrong! Those porch railings have to go!"

I'm just not sure how much work I want to put into this. Ugh. Start making it full-on Craftsman style or just go with what I've got so far? Any thoughts?

House as found:

House as it stands right now:

If it were me I'dlosethe porch gingerbread and dainty railings and go with lovely chunky porch posts and cross beams and paint the dormer to match the rest of the house and go with Craftsman that the owners have modified & modernized over the years, so as to minimize the work you have to spend fixing it up.

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

I’d go with what your gut is telling you. Otherwise you end up forcing creativity and you won’t be happy with the end result.

What Shannon said. Maybe put this one aside and come back to it later, when it may have changed its tune.

I second Holly. The clean, straight lines of Craftsman houses are not only very attractive and fit much better with the basic shell of that house, but are also easy to create because of the clean, straight lines.  I also love the colors and think they go well with the style. The door and transom combo is a good fit with Craftsman. But the gingerbread, as you suggested, needs to go!

Of course, it is your call, but that is my tuppence worth.

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts! This one has just sort of been bugging me and I was lost. I didn't mean to sound dismissive, like I wanted to just crank it out and be done with it. I actually really like it and think it could be a cute house! It just isn't at the moment (IMO). Or at least there's just something wrong with it that I can't put my finger on, other than the afore-mentioned gingerbread.

I am going to do as you suggest and set it aside until hopefully I'm struck with a moment of inspiration. Here and there I am working on the farmhouse I posted about recently, but it always helps me to have a second project. You know, another house to work on while paint or glue is drying on another. Plus I get cross-eyed spending hours on one process (shingling! NOOO!!) and need a break to do something else like wallpapering or what-have-you.

I'll let you know if inspiration strikes. I'm not giving up on this one! This is such a great community of helpful people. I thank you all again.

5 hours ago, Kells said:

I am going to do as you suggest and set it aside until hopefully I'm struck with a moment of inspiration.

Inspiration = when the house speaks to you :)  Hopefully with more clarity than its current mumblings.

I'm seeing American Vernacular, meaning no architectural style or period plan. I'm reading a book set in rural Texas, and there's an old house by a lake wherein lives a little old lady. By the author's description, this could be her house. It stood on piles, in case the lake flooded, so I added some and some steps using a clone tool. I removed the gingerbread and added some boarding detail under the porch roof instead. If it were mine I'd look at strips of embossed wood to see how they looked. For a Craftsman style, I would prefer heftier porch posts, but doing it the way I illustrated is much more easy-peasy and you're done!

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

I like the idea of raising it on posts. I have some thick wood posts I'm using to raise the kitchen addition on my farmhouse. I didn't think of doing that to this one. I had thought of putting foundation board under the whole house but I like this better. If I were so inclined - which I am not - that could work for a bayou cottage. Something like this one... (stop, Kells, you are not taking on a project like that!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254974194499

And Kathie, I giggled picturing my husband calling the mental institution to come get me when he walks in and finds me yelling at the house, "SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Inspiration = when the house speaks to you :)  Hopefully with more clarity than its current mumblings.

1 hour ago, Kells said:

Something like this one... (stop, Kells, you are not taking on a project like that!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254974194499

Gee, maybe I should ask for more than I planned whenever I decide to put my Tudor Row up for sale, (which I'm still not sure if it's quite finished or not). I guess the house wants some enhancements on its side walls, but I don't really feel like going back to it. I've got furniture for 6 roomboxes right now and I just don't know where to start. I've been feeling lazy, falling asleep a lot. The other day I slept 3 hours on the sofa, I'd never done that before, and twice I slept 10 & 11 hours at night in the last 2 weeks.