Spider Cottage

My first build - the Orchid model - is coming along! I have been having a ball with the walls, I could seriously spend HOURS making them look moldy and decrepit. I know that I am still early in the process, but I really wanted to share my process :D

small.IMG_0354.jpg.52026feb400638000b6d3

This window so far is my favorite - I love the peeling wallpaper and the plaster, still needs more aging and mold (that window casing is looking way too clean IMO) 

small.IMG_0349.jpg.ee174f466a7fa17772bad

This is a wider shot of the bedroom wall (upper) and the kitchen wall (lower)- complete with water damage and a healthy dose of black mold

small.IMG_0350.jpg.7a847e49c0ea2945064e3

and this is the last wall of the kitchen, still needs a lot of mold and distressing but I am so excited to see how it is coming along!!

small.IMG_0351.jpg.8f855ed7a33ab73e1a8e3

This is a shot of the livingroom (lower) and the really cute bird wallpaper for the bathroom!

large.IMG_0352.jpg.a6ae0aab14ce9f79cf57a

here are all the walls in one shot - I am really happy with how they seem to be fitting together

large.IMG_0333.jpg.95ff459d51400362c01c5

And I just had to sneak in a photo I took a while ago that shows the custom windows I made!

Edited by Spooky Squirrel
took me a hot minute to figure out how to do photos LOL
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Medieval said:

It looks awesome! Maybe some nail holes in the window trim? My real house has those. Lol

ooooo that is a lovely idea! I am planning on having the lower level windows nailed shut anyhow so that would be an excellent detail!

27 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

It is coming along nicely. Such nice cheery wallpaper, yet it is so decrepit.....quite the juxtaposition. Who lives/ lived there?

So... it seems to be evolving into a life of its own but it started with an old couple that came from money but was disowned by their families due to their interest in the occult. Now.... it does seem to be turning more into a house of horrors. They had a beautiful and lovely house but over the years they have focused their energies on more gruesome activities and their home has begun to fall apart around them.

The only thing that is going to remain constant is the fact that they are old because I was able to score two dolls for $5 and they are an old man and old woman. 

Oh, and they have a scottie - yet to be named but probably will have a human femur as a chew toy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Medieval said:

Just promise you won't glue Barbie doll parts to the walls. Lol

Thats a promise I can make! Barbie dolls are way too large for this scale anyhow :P 

I do however have a bunch of small skeletons in our Halloween decor that may wind up chopped up and sprinkled throughout the hosue

• Like 1

The house is finally starting to come together!!

large.IMG_0368.jpg.059bd0ebcfe0a2ff9bc72

The real MVP of this process is books - I have been using them to hold everything in place LOL

large.IMG_0364.jpg.3b6912a6bffbd7b6457bf

Living room

small.IMG_0365.jpg.d3001b9883a77e8c2919c

Kitchen

large.IMG_0366.jpg.dd15e69f9ca424561477f

Bedroom wall and staircase opening

small.IMG_0367.jpg.67c3c678420e09884c76e

Bathroom wall (don't mind the mess)

I am so excited, and a little amazed how quickly the inside pulled together as I glued it together. Next steps is finishing up the inside of the roof/gables. After that is wrappedd up I will be working on the outside. 

I saw an idea to use cereal boxes/food boxes cut in strips for exterior siding .... anyone try that method? I really like the idea of reusing but now sure how it would hold up to pain and glue and distressing.... thoughts?

• Like 1

I started building whilst I was in Nursing school; those heavy textbooks were perfect for getting flooring to lie flat whilst drying.  Seal one side of your cereal boxes with clear sanding sealer.  When it dries, cut your strips and glue them on (print side down) and seal the exposed side, then prime and paint.  I've used construction paper for roofing slates  and the only issue I had was with the sun's UV rays bleaching all the color from the paper (through the sealer; not direct sunlight, either); but I painted the roof and the problem was solved.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Seal one side of your cereal boxes with clear sanding sealer.  When it dries, cut your strips and glue them on (print side down) and seal the exposed side, then prime and paint.

Thank you!! That is very helpful information - really appreciate it!

Yes - textbooks would be ideal to hold stuff together LOL 

large.IMG_0388.jpg.7d5e33a81305fbc7445f7

Bedroom is coming together - my first attempt at a floor!! I am happy(ish) with it but already am debating redoing it as I am now way more comfortable with the tool and how to cut the pieces. I used three different stains on stir sticks, painted one by one because I wanted the variation. I used chipboard to cut out the floor template, painted it black, and glued the wood directly to the chipboard. I haven't glued it down yet as I want to make sure everything fits once I get the bathroom floor done. 

large.IMG_0390.jpg.d2c8bff1e89d408244424

Love the stain - but you can see on the edges that they are not even ... but it is supposed to be a house that is falling apart so maybe that is ok as wood floors do tend to warp and contract over time?

small.IMG_0393.jpg.8696d0e1f377bfa1e0edd

I also had my first attempt at an egg carton brick wall (because I ran out of scrapbook paper and the recycle bag was waaaaay closer than the store)

I love how the floor looks from a distance - maybe I am only seeing the errors because it was my first attempt and I know what I learned along the process? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

... maybe I am only seeing the errors because it was my first attempt and I know what I learned along the process? 

Yes! And don't be surprised when you anguish over perceived errors on future builds. We tend to see the worst in our work because we have an innate urge to do better. Others who view our work see only the overall presentation; the details get lost in the whole. It is what it is. 

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Precisely.  

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Yes! And don't be surprised when you anguish over perceived errors on future builds. We tend to see the worst in our work because we have an innate urge to do better. Others who view our work see only the overall presentation; the details get lost in the whole. It is what it is. 

Thank you both - my first build so I want it to be 'perfect' even though I am having a ball playing around with techniques and ideas LOL

35 minutes ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

Thank you both - my first build so I want it to be 'perfect' even though I am having a ball playing around with techniques and ideas LOL

Oh, yeah, the "perfect" thing...  in case you hadn't noticed, your Squirrel Cottage is already perfect for the condition it's in.  In case you haven't taken a really good look at the real world, it's not perfect out there, either.  I gave up on perfection when a coworker looking at photos of my Dura-Craft Cambridge, said she thought it was a real house until she saw the little people in it and realized they were dolls.

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I gave up on perfection when a coworker looking at photos of my Dura-Craft Cambridge, said she thought it was a real house until she saw the little people in it and realized they were dolls.

Now *that* is perfect! 

Building miniatures has actually helped me realize things don’t have to be perfect. Also you can always add more wood filler :)
I love your exposed lath and plaster I really regret not doing that in mine. 

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

.... I gave up on perfection when a coworker looking at photos of my Dura-Craft Cambridge, said she thought it was a real house until she saw the little people in it and realized they were dolls.

That is amazing!! It sometimes feel like a game of "is this a real people house or a dollhouse" when looking at pictures! 

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

And never forget my favorite mantra: It is all smoke and mirrors. :D 

It doesn't have to BE real to LOOK real. 

I may have to steal that mantra - it's so true!!! And I feel like I should know better because I love horror movies and LOVE hearing how they use practical effects to achieve looks. You are wiser than I LOL

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Building miniatures has actually helped me realize things don’t have to be perfect. Also you can always add more wood filler :)
I love your exposed lath and plaster I really regret not doing that in mine. 

I am hoping that as I move along in this process I will finally get that through my head as well - also can I ask what type of wood filler you use because I got some Elmer's wood filler in a tube and I loath it ... it could be user error tho TBH 

Thank you so much for your kind compliment - I am excited to continue with the room (there will be moss growing on the laths) and see how it pulls together

43 minutes ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

what type of wood filler you use

I've never had good luck with wood filler in miniature projects. I lean toward joint compound/drywall mud or paintable caulk if there are voids to fill.