Desperately need help

Squidver

Hello this post is about how my journey will start but am in need of serious help! I have always been interested in mini dollhouses and tiny furniture its facinating to look at and admired i have. I have always dreamed of one day making my own tiny dollhouse or even a full town! I have seen these tiny dollhouse kits which come unassembled i always wanted to try one out unfortunately they are too expensive where i live and have to be shipped abroad i also wanted to make a custom one to my desire. However, i got overwhelmed with the types of wood and tools you need  and i just dont kniw where to start iont want to start big just incase am not into the hobby but it seems like something thats right up my ally. Here is where i need help i need to know the different types of wood i could get and what they r used for  as well as what sizes i should get. I have basswood but i dont think it is sturdy enough to make the exterior but i have no clue what its used for another thing i need to know are the tools i am not really into big chunjy powertools as i live in a cramped space but i am open to suggestions finally i need to know your views on this tool i found i dont know if it will be useful for what i need it for but it seems that i can cut thibgs with it smooth out sufaces and drill small holes it isnt that expensive but if it wont be ussful i dont want to waste the money on it

Here are pictures of the mini drill thing i found(sorry for the bad quantity still trying to figure this out :/) 

Screenshot_20200706_033712.jpg

Aya, if you aren't sure this hobby is your "thing", why not start with a cardboard box, scraps of cardboard (like from cereal or other food boxes), shite glue and scissors or a utility knife?  You can make mock-ups to get ideas and start gaining skills.  This can be a very expensive hobby and it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money until you're sure it's what you want.

Well i have already made cardboard doll house it was huge and i really enjoyed it was 3 stories with working windows and doors i was thinking something more permanent using better stronger materials and make small wood furniture if you have any links to videos that can help me see what ill need i would really appreciate that ^-^

If you have access to a lumber yard that sells plywood, either free-standing or part of a big box hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowe's, you can get a sheet of luan plywood to work with.  The Greenleaf kits are made with 1/8" thick plywood.  If you're building your own 1/4" thick might work better for you.  You would need a bandsaw or table saw to cut the plywood into floors and walls and a coping saw to cut windows and doors.  I like basswood for making mini furniture, which I get at either hobby shops or art supply stores.  I have found dollhouse kits in thrift stores.

I will be sure to keep an eye out for the wood and thank you so much for the help! I looked evrywhere for the kits however i live an country where this hobby isnt so common so they r hard to get ill keep an eye out and if i find one ill be sure to get it because i think it will be a good start to get a feel for the materials 

The tool you posted a picture of is a Dremel (or something like a Dremel), and it can be useful for sanding and cutting small things depending on which attachments you have, but I wouldn't call it the most necessary tool in the dollhouse builder's toolbox. If you want to scratch build a house out of wood you'll need access to large scale tools like a table saw. Scratch built houses are often built out of 1/4" plywood and there are plan books you can buy, if you don't have access to kits.

Another option is to build a house out of foam core, which is easier to cut and more lightweight. For that you just need a utility knife and a straight edge. That's similar to building out of cardboard, but if you finish it with components like siding and commercially available windows you'd never be able to tell that it's not built out of wood.

• Like 1

Hello! Maybe you could make smaller scale kits? If you are in Europe, Petite Properties in the UK makes cheaper 1:24 and 1:48 house kits. I also make and sell 1:24 house and furniture kits but I am in Australia. 
You could try making your house out of  gatorboard. It will be much stronger than foamcore and I cut my sheets with a ruler and craft knife. http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/gatorboard.htm
You would only need a cutting knife, ruler and a surface to cut on. I do 90% of mini making with these tools and a small hobby saw and mitre box: https://fairymeadowminiatures.com.au/tools/excel-55666-mitre-box-and-razor-saw-set..html

I live in egypt where things like kits and stuff arent so common which is why i was having trouble finding kits. I will keep an eye out for a saw i can use and if i dont find a suitable one i can use the foam as a begginig and ill be sure to try and post on the new comers forum although idk how to do that yet and thanks everyone for the help i didnt expect so many replies so quickly this is great <3

Aya, I believe you might be our first member from Egypt.  If you click on the green underlined hyperlink Newcomer's Forum in my previous post it will take you there where you can make your post.  A razor saw:

Razor Saw (32 tpi)

and a miter box:

Mitre Box (Aluminium) For use with Razor Saws (140mm)

are useful if you do use wood for trims (baseboards and cornice boards), but if you work in foam core and card such as poster board you will only really need a cork-backed steel ruler and a utility knife:

6 in Classic 99® Retractable Utility Knife - 10-099 | STANLEY Tools6 in Classic 99® Retractable Utility Knife - 10-099 | STANLEY Tools

(with lots of new, sharp blades and a screwdriver to change them).  I have several of those flex-motor tools such as in your picture, but I still use simple, inexpensive hand tools oftenest.