Shingles for tower roof - RGT Painted Lady

firef2005

This past week I've been working on putting the shingles on my Painted Lady. Everything went fairly well until I attempted to shingle the tower roof. What a DISASTER! I ended up tearing it all off because it looked so bad. I followed the directions, splitting shingles for each end of each row, and then splitting one more to complete each row. It looked so bad I couldn't stand it. Can someone give me pointers on this? It seems that you end up with so many small pieces of shingles, that it's next to impossible to make the rows look right. It's very possible that I didn't do this right. I've never shingled a house before, and this is pretty difficult. I thought about not putting shingles on that part of the roof, and maybe doing something else. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

rbytsdy,

Your house is absolutely fantastic! I never realized how similar the San Franciscan and my house are. I had the idea of trim as well for the roof. Your shingles look so 'whole', can you explain how you shingled the roof for the tower? The Painted Lady has square shingles.

When I shingled the tower roof of the SF555 (I did a similar thing with the GL shingles on the McKinley's tower) I butted the edges of the shingles at each "seam" of the roof panels, which looked like c**p. Then I split some of the shingles down and glued them in a matching lap pattern over the "seam". When I use sandpaper to shingle I cut the splits a bit wider and fold them in half and they look a lot better.

I didn't use any trim on my San Fran tower, but I don't remember if I really did anything special. I did it like other parts of the roof, I just had to cut a lot of angles. There's a chance actually that I did it before I assembled it, now that I start thinking.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=33702

For my McKinley tower, I was scared to shingle it, because it was my first house. So I put skewers in the seams and painted it with a faux copper patina.

gallery_3297_2612_89813.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't done this house yet, but, would a paper template work and just glue the shingles on the template then onto the roof? I'm only saying this because I had a trouble spot on another house with the shingles and it worked so well I'm going to do it for 100% of my shingles now on.

When I shingled the tower roof of the SF555 (I did a similar thing with the GL shingles on the McKinley's tower) I butted the edges of the shingles at each "seam" of the roof panels, which looked like c**p. Then I split some of the shingles down and glued them in a matching lap pattern over the "seam". When I use sandpaper to shingle I cut the splits a bit wider and fold them in half and they look a lot better.

I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind. Do you have a picture?

rbytsdy,

Your house is absolutely fantastic! I never realized how similar the San Franciscan and my house are. I had the idea of trim as well for the roof. Your shingles look so 'whole', can you explain how you shingled the roof for the tower? The Painted Lady has square shingles.

Thanks Stefani! You can probably see my tower shingling better in the photo in this blog post: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&showentry=2341

As you can see, I did not even try to angle the shingles because they were so thick and would not be angled! Then I cut the trim strips wide to cover all gaps.

Thanks so much guys! After much thought and figuring, I managed to get the tower roof shingled (again)! I tried to keep the 'split' shingles on the ends of each row as large as possible, and that really helped. I will still trim out the edges of the tower, but at least the shingles are on! I will post pics in my gallery later today.