Minilinda's Buttercup

Wow!! That is gorgeous!! I am so glad you showed us. Is minilinda a member here?

I have a question...I see that house is on a platform or base. What do we use to do that?? I realize it has to be sturdy enough to support everything, but you wouldn't want the base to be too heavy, right??

~Bobbi

Thank you to Tracy for posting my link, for your encouraging comments!

I won the Buttercup in last year's contest, and have taken forever to finish it! I work one house at a time, and do little projects in between.

Minimadwoman, I am so pleased you like the colour and atmosphere. You do such wonderful projects, I am flattered! I took a whole lot of pics and learning how to manage lighting so that they show properly.

Jennybee, the texture on the walls is from wallpaper. I came across a roll at a garage sale, and this is the second time I have used it. I use wallpaper sample books for the wallpaper on the inside walls too, then paint. Save a whole bunch of sanding, but cuts down on the amount of re-decorating you can do!

Bobbi, the platform is pink builders foam you get from a builders supply in sheets. This is the second time I have used it. The first time, I just painted it, and I fiind it very fragile - shows scrapes, revealing the pink colour underneath. This time, I applied tissue paper and glue, then painted, and it made the surface very much more durable. When I go garage saling in the summer, I am on the lookout for Tupperware Lazy-susans. I use the bottom and glue it to the pink builders foam, so the house turns around easily.

Thanks again for looking at my album!

Wow Linda!! You did a spectacular job on your Buttercup!! I love the cornices and drapes...and the stained glass windows are fabulous!!! Kudos to you!!! And thanks for the eye candy!

Tracy...kudos to you too for posting the link!!! You are an angel!

:cloud9: This one is a stunning house! Thank you Tracy for sharing Linda's work, sometimes one really needs a slight "push" so that the rest of us can get inspired!

What a great way to finish the exterior with regular wallpaper, this I need to look for as well...

Oh the ideas are just twirling around in the mind right now, better go back and have another drool session!

Hugs and thanks!

You are making me blush and I'm loving every second of it! :wave:

Irene, the cornices are from the inside of a Starbucks coffee collar, the stuff that looks like carving on top is tatting - I found in a garage sale. I think I put a smaller motif on the Purple dress sleeves.

I didn't know Barbies were made in1:12, and I did enjoy dressing them and positioning them.

The stained glass windows are gallery glass.

Thank you all for your comments. I wouldn't have done half as well without belonging to the group here and absorbing all your wisdom and encouragement!

ok I am not suppose to be posting but let me just say

WOW

I love your Buttercup and I also visited the Garage sale house.

did you do the walls on it the same way?

and tell me when using wallpaper do you apply it like the tissue method?

or just put it on like normal and than paint over it? does it wrinkle and give the lovely texture all on its own?

although siding is nice I soooo love texturing the outside of my houses.

I also think it wonderfully creative how you use the lazy susan glued to builders foam for the base!

sooooo gonna use that idea for sure! and the flowers you chose for the outside!

looks like wild flowers I LOVE it!

you really need to make a album here for sure!

the Barbies you mentioned? the lil princess Barbies?

now Ill have to go buy some more! never thought of using them like that.

yanno Princess=castles so mine are still in their boxes waiting for one.

thanks so much for sharing!

I love the dress shop and how the attic is full of lil goodies!

nice eyecandy to start the day off with :)

nutti :banana:

Oh my goodness, my head is getting so swollen I soon won't be able to get it through the door! Thanks again!

Susanne, I will put some pics in the gallery. Appreciate you asking me to.

Nutti, The wallpaper is textured to begin with, a cream colour. I cut it to the size of the wall, wet it, spread a layer of Tacky glue on it and smooth it onto the wall with my hands. I let it dry and then cut out the windows and doors. I use a rasp to smooth the edges. Any excess WP on the inside walls where the tab and slot fit together can be trimmed with an Exacto, and the house glued together as usual.

I pre-decorate, as I am hopeless with the "fiddly" bits. Once the house is put together, I caulk the inside corners and then apply touch-up paint.

On the wall ends where the wood is sandwiched between the WP, I use 1/4 " masking tape and then paint over it. On the outside corners of the house, I may opt for either caulking or both!

For me, this method works out the least expensive, (cheep, cheep, cheep!), and I don't have to spend a bunch of time finishing the walls. I bought a whole roll of the textured WP for $2 at a garage sale, and I got to our local WP store and ask them to save me their sample books. (FREE)

Sometimes you can get textured paper to use in a small area, like in the bathroom of my garage sale house. That was when I figured out it doesn't matter what colour the paper is, just paint it to match!

The Barbies are another yard sale find - I don't have kids, so not familiar with the different Barbies. These ones were in a bucket among other 1:6 dolls. With their wild, unruly hair wild and house dress/apron costumes, they were calling for me to save them! LOL! Don't they look like the Buttercup sisters?

Foliage - garage sale - lycopodium, dried flower arrangement in cellophane sleeve (didn't like the colours, so....)

Cheap is a good thing, FREE is better!

If it doesn't move, paint it. If it moves, chase it!