Display case for your dollhouse

sarahnaylor

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has built a display case for your house? I am not sure how to build one or what I should use. I was thinking about plexi-glass. Is there a place to buy them pre built? I just want something to keep the dust, cat and kids out. Thank you for any help!

Sarah

I am new in the mini area and building my 1st house...I was thinking the same thing..maybe not a case, but some sort of a cover.. but what a great idea!! I will be watching this thread to see what pops up..little hands can do a lot of damage!!

I'm sorry I can't help, all my houses are open to all the gks little hands :thumb: Some days are spent after they leave inventoring to see where they rearranged things or checking little pockets to make sure it hasn't disappeared. :welcome: I did buy a turntable from HBS for my Lily. I think it just made it easier for them to get to :D Actually, I love to watch them play with it, and so far they have been very careful. Their eyes just lite up when they look/play. They have also learned which items they are not to mess with and they are aware they certain things are removed before they get here.

It would not be to hard to build one, if you have a hardware store that sell plexglass you can have them cut it for you to the dimentions you want, then there is a glue for that type of glass, that you can glue it together ie. like a aquarium.

You can also get the wood molding that is for picture frames and use that as a base for your box design placeing the glass inside as you wood for a picture (you could also buy ready made picture frames with the glass already together just glue or use brads to hold the glass in place ) . you would fashion 5 frames, a top and 4 sides. taking and nailing(pre-drill holes, so the nails won't split the wood) and glue them together to make a box. Hope this makes scence!!

Donna

Some people get a sheet of plexiglass cut to cover the back open end of the house so you can still see inside.I have a friend who got hinges put on the outside so she could open and close the plexiglass.She glued a small magnet at the top and to the dollhouse so they would cling together.

Some people get a sheet of plexiglass cut to cover the back open end of the house so you can still see inside.

This is what I'm hoping to be able to do with the house shell that I have. Once I have it decorated & furnished I'll definitely need something to keep the dust & dog hair out.

I really like the idea of having it hinged! I hadn't thought of that before - but that would certainly make it easier to get inside the house to play :welcome:

Some people get a sheet of plexiglass cut to cover the back open end of the house so you can still see inside.I have a friend who got hinges put on the outside so she could open and close the plexiglass.She glued a small magnet at the top and to the dollhouse so they would cling together.

That does sound like a good idea, I have a dog as well.

This is what I'm hoping to be able to do with the house shell that I have. Once I have it decorated & furnished I'll definitely need something to keep the dust & dog hair out.

I really like the idea of having it hinged! I hadn't thought of that before - but that would certainly make it easier to get inside the house to play :welcome:

And don't forget, decorate for christmas too :D

Plexiglass would definitely be the way to go -- far less dangerous around the family than glass glass :) . I used it as a cover on my sportsbar roombox. What I did: I glued 3 pieces of channeled wood (bottom and each side) to the opening. Took the final measurement and had got a piece of 1/4" plexiglass at Lowes. They cut it to size for me. I glued a 4th piece of channel wood to the top of the piece and just slid it into the channels on the house. Instant protection and it looked terrific. Incidentally, tacky glue held the wood to the plexiglass with no problem.

Some days are spent after they leave inventoring to see where they rearranged things or checking little pockets to make sure it hasn't disappeared. :) Actually, I love to watch them play with it, and so far they have been very careful. Their eyes just lite up when they look/play. They have also learned which items they are not to mess with and they are aware they certain things are removed before they get here.

I can relate to this Peggy :) My 3 year old grandSON just loves playing with my dh. He also loves to rearrange everything. He especially loves the "animals" like dogs etc. After he leaves I spend some time putting it back the way it was before he came. I don't mind him playing with it because he is very careful. I only worry about it falling because it's a Garfield on a turntable and very top heavy. I kind of keep a watchful eye as he plays. Now his 19 month old brother is another story! :confused:

Plexiglass would definitely be the way to go -- far less dangerous around the family than glass glass :) . I used it as a cover on my sportsbar roombox. What I did: I glued 3 pieces of channeled wood (bottom and each side) to the opening. Took the final measurement and had got a piece of 1/4" plexiglass at Lowes. They cut it to size for me. I glued a 4th piece of channel wood to the top of the piece and just slid it into the channels on the house. Instant protection and it looked terrific. Incidentally, tacky glue held the wood to the plexiglass with no problem.

I am happy to hear Lowe's has plexi-glass and they'll cut it. I was wondering about that. Did they have the channeled wood there too? Thanks for your help!!!

Did they have the channeled wood there too? Thanks for your help!!!

I actually got my channeled wood at HBS -- they have it in 2 sizes. But you can channel your own if you have access to a router :) Haven't checked for channels at Lowes, sorry :) The plexiglass comes in several thicknesses -- I used the 1/4" cause it fit my channels -- it's in Lowe's glass department.

My house is still missing the roof but that did not stop my little (now adopted) foster baby 3yrs old now ..still comes to see me all the time..her eyes lit up when she saw it and immediately wanted to know where all the furniture was..took her to the 2 bxs of things that are waiting for placement and she picked and chose and played for a long time...what would she ever do if it were covered?? but I need to cover..so I will have to make her another house, or give her this one...heck, I am confused..but good ideas in this post..

I can relate to this Peggy yes.gif My 3 year old grandSON just loves playing with my dh. He also loves to rearrange everything. He especially loves the "animals" like dogs etc. After he leaves I spend some time putting it back the way it was before he came. I don't mind him playing with it because he is very careful. I only worry about it falling because it's a Garfield on a turntable and very top heavy. I kind of keep a watchful eye as he plays. Now his 19 month old brother is another story!

Isn't it funny how little things are a magnet to little hands. My four-year-old daughter has her own dollhouse that is twice as big as mine and is even in the same room as mine, and hers is down at her level to make it easier to play with. But which one does she play in 90% of the time? Mine! :thumb: Oh well, at least I get to have fun putting all the furniture back when she's done.

I have seen things small things or scenes covered with large jars, I have a few things under a Large Cheese board Glass dome. Glassed shadowboxes are easy to find!

TENDER HEART TREASURES sell reproductions of the old Bell Jars. I can give you the site later if you PM me.

Large houses need the plexiglass boxes-I agree, or a sliding or hinged door on the back!

Donna-Wee Obsession!

I'm sorry I can't help, all my houses are open to all the gks little hands :unsure: Some days are spent after they leave inventoring to see where they rearranged things or checking little pockets to make sure it hasn't disappeared. :thumb: I did buy a turntable from HBS for my Lily. I think it just made it easier for them to get to :blink: Actually, I love to watch them play with it, and so far they have been very careful. Their eyes just lite up when they look/play. They have also learned which items they are not to mess with and they are aware they certain things are removed before they get here.

I can relate with that too, Peggy. I finally had to but a door bolt on the inside of the door to my RGT townhouse. Grandson would reach right into the front door and start renovating the kitchen!!!!

post-1194-1161813744_thumb.jpg

I have seen things small things or scenes covered with large jars, I have a few things under a Large . I finally had to but a door bolt on the inside of the door to my RGT townhouse. Grandson would reach right into the front door and start renovating the kitchen!!!!

:thumb: Just like a man, isn't it? Always ready with re-dos! :blink:

ACE Hardware sells huge sheets of clear acrylic (AKA Plexiglass) and if you want to build a display case for a house, you're going to need huge sheets. Imagine building a case for the Garf, or even better, Grosvenor Hall. It'd be kinda like trying to build a display case for your car. If, however, you decide this is the way to go, there are two, yes two, and only two, adhesives you should consider. And superglue aint one of them. Ambroid ProWeld liquid and Tenax 7R are the only adhesives that should go anywhere near your case. Why? Glad you asked, you didn't, you should have. Superglue gives off fumes as it cures that will fog clear plastic, it'll also wreck a perfect semi flat black paint job (Krylon 1613-the EXACT paint they used on the movie props) but I digress. Ambroid and Tenax are interchangable (though Ambroid smells more) since they're both methylene chloride. Unfriendly, but cyanoacrylate is actually more unfriendly (superglue). And the m-c adhesive is easy as anything to use. Allign the parts, run a bead of the adhesive (I like Microbrushes) along the joint, press together for 10 seconds, it's done. You've welded the 2 pieces together.

So why Ambroid or Tenax? They're the only solvent adhesives that work with acrylic. Testors liquid is MEK, that's methyl ethyl ketone, you use it like contact cement, but it won't work on acrylic. Hope this helps.