First Ebay Treasure

TinyJudi

It just arrived yesterday. My first ever purchase from Ebay. It is a Real Life Miniatures Kitchen kit and oh my...what have I gotten myself into? I was thinking it would be along the lines of the tab and slot, but oh no...this is far more detailed. It scares me more than opening my Orchid dollhouse box. All those tiny, tiny pieces of hardware. But it has at least two of the things I really wanted for my house. A sink with a hand pump and the icebox style refridgerator. It also includes a cabinet and stove, but the sink is what I was really after. My DH looked the box over for some type of date and he found it. Manufactured in 1976. So, my new treasure is 30 years old. It arrived in very good condition. There appears to be some slight discoloration, but what the heck, that is why we have stains and paint. It did include stain, paint and glue, however, they were pretty dried up as you can imagine. But, that is fine. I am thrilled and can't wait to get started on it. Here is a picture of the box.

Wish me luck :)

I am undecided about the type of finish I want to use on the furniture. I am leaning towards painting it, as I don't really care to work with stains, however, I want it to look nice and I just don't know if I will be happy painting it. Oh, what to do...what to do.

I put together a lot of furniture kits, however, they were almost all House of Miniature. (1 Chrysnbon)The HOM's really fit together well and look really good stained. Keep us posted on the ease of construction on the kits you bought. And by the way, after the first e-bay purchase you will be searching for all kinds of useful goodies.

Ebay is a wonderful place. I go there WAY too much. Have fun with the kit. Keep in mind to take your time. (per the addage never enough time to do it right but always time to do it again) Do what makes you happy, it's always more satisfying to have it turn out the way you wanted especially if it's the more difficult route.

I have decided to go with paint for the finish. I just think it will tie in better with the house and I couldn't think of a stain color that would coordinate with the light pink walls and the greyish wood flooring. Painting will give me the option of doing more color detail on the furniture...stencils, appliques, etc. Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. I have purchased a second furniture kit <Ok, someone take Ebay out of my favorites :D >, this one being the livingroom set. At least I know what I am getting into with this one. It is also a Realife Miniature kit.

thats cool Judy!! I have some of those kits (not the kitchen I don't think) in storage that my BF got at a yard sale. I was going to get rid of them...but I think I will keep them if they are still out there. The material is outdated but I can always use more modern print for the sofa and stuff.

~Bobbi

Judi, I know exactly what you mean. I also bought several kits off of ebay and when I got them I thought "what have I go myself into" :D I've not completed one yet (real life seems to get in the way) but I have finished the sanding for a grand piano--now just to get it together. I've heard from several people that have done these kits though and they love them.

Judi congrats on the kit and don't worry it's really not as hard as it looks. I have the exact kitchen and it was really easy putting it together. I also picked painting it over staining, to me it looked better. The sink and the stove are now in my DD's sweetheart, you can look in the gallery to see them, if you want a different picture than the box. Have fun building :lol: :D and don't forget to show us when they are done. :lol:

I've purchased quite a few kits from HOM and also the Realife ones. The HOM have much better wood and really do look more "professional" furniture than the realife ones and the assembly is so much easier as all pieces fit with one another. With the realife ones, the wood is so much more absorbent so you have to be careful when you are staining or painting for warpage. Also, you have to make the pieces fit and remember to use a fast drying glue or the joints will pop.

Here's some pics of the ones I have finished so far. Still have the kitchen, living room, and nursery to do of realife and also a country store accessories kit.

The piano, piano stool and violin and stand are realife, the rest are HOM.

I love to make all that I can for my houses and these kits make it fun and easy.

Marlene-that is the music room kit I have. Would you mind telling me what stain you used? That's been one of my hold ups, couldn't decide on the stain color. I love yours--mind if I copy it?

Hi Peggi..Go ahead and copy it, not a problem for me. Just don't copy the aggravation I had making that piano. It's not one of the most relaxing to do.

This is the stain I used. I'm in Quebec and purchased it at Rona Entrepot. Colour is Cognac but don't drink it, ok?

A little hint, probably don't need it but what the heck..test whatever stain you use on a scrap of the same material because the wood in the realife kit is very absorbent and wipe quick or it will get dark fast.

Good luck

Thank you Marlene. :whistle: Be just my luck I can't find the equaliant here in the states--so hint hint to someone who can translate the color to miniwax stains. LOL

Also thanks for the tip, since I've not stained anything yet I definitely need all the advice I can get.

The first dh furniture kit I ever made was the Reallife Victorian parlor furniture kit, the furniture now lives in my Cambridge. I used a maple stain. The wood was basswood, same as in the HOM, Shenandoah & Mini Mundus kits I've built, and took stain the same.

I really like the Minwax gel stains, I quit using a brush and I pop on a rubber slove and grab a rag cur from one of DH's old Tshirts and apply it and rub it off until I get the color depth I like.

Peggi, sometimes I'll start with a lighter color stain like maple and then go with a slightly darker color, like cherry, to get the effect I want.

I made the drop front desk that is part of the Real Life Library kit before any other kit or furniture project I ever made. So, I didn't know (at the time) if it was easier or harder than other kits or methods. It just worked fine. It looks realistic to me and that is why I like these kits more than I like the tab and slot.

I went slow and followed the directions and everything worked out. I didn't have any support like we have here, so it was all trial and error.

Thank you Marlene. :wacko: Be just my luck I can't find the equaliant here in the states--so hint hint to someone who can translate the color to miniwax stains. LOL

Also thanks for the tip, since I've not stained anything yet I definitely need all the advice I can get.

You know how iffy the colors trans;late on the puter but my best guess

would probebly be a medium or dark walnut.

Wen

Well, I have started the sink. It doesn't seem to be too bad, just have to hav patience, which is something I don't have much of, so I just fill the time with housework... :down:

I used some of the knowledge I gained from the house building, and papered the bottom and middle shelves of the sink prior to attaching them. Also, doing A LOT of pre-glue fitting. I really want it to look nice. Primer and first coat of paint is on. I don't think I have any space left to add a pic to the post, but I will get one posted on my webshots. Will start a new album.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. It is nice to know I am not alone.

Oh, all this talk is really making me want to go get a new kit to do! It sound like your doing a great job on that sink. Can't wait to see it. A sink is the only thing missing from my Arthur's kitchen right now - I think I'm holding out for something that I can turn into a real working little sink with a pump, but I really wouldn't even know were to start on something like that.