Aluminum throw aways

Gayle

I know i've tried to paint the little pans that come in like frozen pot pies and the paint either chips or just beads off entirely. Now, mind you, I haven't tried that since I was a kid, but they do make wonderful paint dishes lol

I've just used them for paint trays, but now that I sit here and think about it I wonder if you flatten them out real good could you use it for a 'tin' ceiling? :) Hmmm, I'm going have to try that and see how it looks :thumb: .

I sort of like the idea of a tin ceiling but the aluminum is too shiny. Could burnish it with steel wool, emboss a design, spray with auto touch up paint and rub off the excess. What do you think?

I sort of like the idea of a tin ceiling but the aluminum is too shiny. Could burnish it with steel wool, emboss a design, spray with auto touch up paint and rub off the excess. What do you think?

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it turns out, with lots of pictures, please!

I use those pans for baking my polyclay dolls & food. If you spray the foil first with a metal primer, paint ought to stick very well. I was thinking of using it later to make 1:24 scale kitchen appliances.

There was a artical in a old dh mag that used the foil from wine bottles, takeing one that had a imbossed print on top carefully flatten the sides and uesing a toothpick imboss edges

then trim to get a tranlusent finish use airbrush paint to paint them I would wipe it with alchol to get any resadue off so the paint will stick. makes a great puter plate

In my experiences, I've noticed that the pans had like a grease on them, so I cleaned them first with a solvent then a good coat of primer & then the paint. This seemed to work for me.

As far as tin ceilings, I did them 2 ways. First I used a heavy grade foil & used a hand tool that I got at a yard sale for a dime, that I think was used to make edges on pie crusts & rolled a square design into the foil. Then put it up on the ceiling. I got a cheap aluminum color spray paint at the dollar store & sprayed it before I put it up. This had a dull metalliac finish. The other way was printies. I just finished one & I think the results came out good. I have a lot of designs for pierced tin & I used one of them.

The Pasta Roller sold at craft stores like Michael's for use with polymer clay will take thin metals, I'm betting aluminum pie plates would work fine. The ones with pies in would need a thourogh cleaning, I'd be tempted to go with the one's sold for chickens and the like that have nothing in them. To take paint they'd need to be primed with metal primer first, auto primer should work for that. Krylon primer might also work.

Now that is called model making, or scratch building. Having a rough idea of what you're after...free. Posting here for any ideas...free. Finding a use for something nothing to do with it's intended purpose...priceless!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here is priceless. I've picked up so much information since joining this site that my brain has gone into overload. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate the info, tips , general ideas and support that all of you have given me. Thanks. :banana:

Everyone here is priceless. I've picked up so much information since joining this site that my brain has gone into overload. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate the info, tips , general ideas and support that all of you have given me. Thanks. :whistle:

Now, you get a 3 ring notebook, and print out the tips that you'll think you'll use and put them in there so they're readily available when you need them. That's what I do.