Looking for Nutshell News copies

prariegurl

HavanaHolly and Jackie are encouraging me to reprise my mini sod house (first built at age 8 and now lost to the ages--and my mother's cleaning frenzies). I did some googling and discovered that Nutshell News did a four part series on building a Nebraska sod house!!!!!

Now I cannot promise that I would build the house, but I would LOVE to have the articles. Does anyone have the October, November and December 1993, and January 1994 issues? If so, would you like to make copies of the articles for me? I would dearly love to see the series, and would gladly reimburse the expenses.

Jeri

Gee, I wish I could help you.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Dollhouse Miniatures (fka Nutshell News) would reprint some of the old articles? Maybe if we all emailed them and asked nicely, they would consider our request.

Well, it sounded good. With so many requests, they couldn't ignore all of us.

They could call the reprints "Blast from the past" or "Golden Oldies". lol

Wow! this sounds cool! Sorry, i don't have nutshell news that far back, i wish i could help you. Keep watching ebay! You can even make requests on ebay somehow to ask for stuff...never tried it so i'm not sure how....

Anna,

A sod house is a house built of sod--that is the top layer of prairie grasses and the first few inches of soil that are held together by the plant roots. In America's western plain states, trees were very, very scarce. Settlers who came to farm the region found very few local building materials, and they were so far from any suppliers that it was not possible or affordable to have large amounts of lumber shipped to them. If they were lucky, there may be enough wood on there land to frame a roof or doorway, but certainly not an entire house. So they cut the sod into bricks and built their homes from that.

BTW, many of the sod house pioneers were Scandinavian--my own Swedish relatives homesteaded (received 80-160 acres of free land from the US government) in North Dakota. My husband's Danish relatives settled in South Dakota. Anyone over 21 who lived and farmed the land would own it free and clear after seven years. This was done to settle the central part of our country after the US Civil War.

Most homesteaders did not successfully complete their seven year contract, and the work and the land were very harsh, but enough made a go of it that by the early 20th century the lands were completely settled.

You can see sod houses here (click on "samples of his photographs". Click on small images and you will get the larger version)

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/re...tcher/index.htm

Or go to Library of Congress, which has most of his photos archived. Click on Search and enter a keyword like "sod" or "house". Again click on the thumbnail to get the larger image.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html

Jeri

Sorry, none in my "stash" - but if no-one has found the mags. in question by Wednesday night, I will put out a call to my mini-club fellow members. It's quite possible one of them would have the issues you need. :thumb: (Hopefully, you will have a quicker response here though.)

HavanaHolly and Jackie are encouraging me to reprise my mini sod house (first built at age 8 and now lost to the ages--and my mother's cleaning frenzies). I did some googling and discovered that Nutshell News did a four part series on building a Nebraska sod house!!!!!

Now I cannot promise that I would build the house, but I would LOVE to have the articles. Does anyone have the October, November and December 1993, and January 1994 issues? If so, would you like to make copies of the articles for me? I would dearly love to see the series, and would gladly reimburse the expenses.

Jeri

I have October 1993 and I might have some of the others. I've got October right here...the others will require a hunt. I know I have more issues...just can't find them right now. (The last time I straightened up I put them in a safe place...so safe I can't even find them now...you'll all understand when you turn 60.) I didn't subscribe...just picked up back issues when I saw them at a flea market. The flea market still had some when I was last there and if I can't find the issues you want (and no one else has them) I can look the next time I'm there. Now that I've decided to finish my 25 year old project I should probably pick up those issues. :thumb: Send me your address and I'll have my husband make a copy of the article tomorrow and get at least this one off to you a while.

rotflmbo!

The last time I straightened up I put them in a safe place...so safe I can't even find them now...you'll all understand when you turn 60.

I'm nearly 65 and I've had that particular problem since my early 40s!

I have the October, November and December. Just let me know if you still want them copied. Still looking for January.

Just saw where someone else has October, November, and December 1993. Now I'll just look for January somewhere in my cluttered house. :thumb:

rotflmbo!

Yes, it's a common problem. When I'm gone my family will find all my buried treasures. I always tell them that someday they'll have an estate sale they can be proud of...only quality merchandise.

YEA!!! I found the back issues that I have and I do not have January 1994. Sorry. The only 1994 issue I have is July. I'll let you know if I see if at the flea market...if no one else comes forward with it.

I know I saw an issue on the Sod house in my stash - I'll try to sit down and see what I can find tonight but I won't promise <sigh> Tomorrow we have an appointment to meet my son's New worker - I hate meeting new workers - I just got the last one broke in good :thumb: j/k the last one was an absolute sweetie! Anyway after tomorrow I can drag out all the mags all over the living room floor :thumb: yaaaay a magazine mess :) I'll also be making a trip to the mini shop locally here on Saturday- so it's possible she might have a copy if you're still missing an issue.

Let me know - and if I get busy aka lame and don't check this thread PM me and give me a kick in the pants to get it done!

-David

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help. Please PM me if you can supply articles or find extra issues for sale.

As you can tell, I really am interested in homsteaders and sod homes. When we were dating and first married, my husband worked as a park ranger at Homestead National Monument in Beatrice NE. It is the site of one of the first homestead claims. This park has a log home, since there were enough trees in the area to build homes. I volunteered there, first cataloging the library, and then I would dress in calico and make tallow candles for living history demonstrations. I have many fond memories of that place!

my son's New worker - I hate meeting new workers - I just got the last one broke in good
Our bipolar son used to break in & train his workers himself; he finally stopped going when it wasn't fun any more :( .

I would dress in calico and make tallow candles for living history demonstrations.

I used to wish we lived somewhere that I could work as a docent, but by the time we did I was "into" many other things :D . One of my favorite places to visit is Westville, in Lumpkin, GA.

If you do build a mini sod house, would you share photos?

I live in the prairies (Canadian) and soddies were common here just prior to the turn of the century (that is, the previous century). There are several still on exhibit. They fascinate me.

The women must have gone stark raving mad raising a family in these tiny isolated soddies. Can you imagine living in one room with kids crying and wet laundry hanging overhead in these tiny low ceiling dwellings? In the wintertime, they'd be snowed in quite often.

In another thread we talked about favourite horror movies .... now this could be a theme of a real horror story.

-Susanne

rotflmbo!

I'm 65 and also have had that problem for years. In fact, I've been wondering how I'm going to tell when I get old, since the onset of forgetfulness will not be a good yardstick! :)

I put things in safe places all the time so I won't lose them or so they won't get broke. Just found the ring and bracelet I've been looking for for the last year. When I found them (quite by accident) I remembered I put them there because company had shown up with small children and I didn't have time to put them in my jewelry box on another floor! Gotta love middle age. Or not.

Thank you Jeri for the explanation, now I know what it is. And I think that it is the same materials that older cottages use as roofing materials.

It would be an interesting project to see built (hint, hint LOL)

Hugs