Hi! Just purchased my very first dollhouse!

Nami

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it but I'm wondering if the butt hinges are the proper ones to use when installing the front doors and the kitchen door to my Lily? I just want to be sure because the other hinges (I believe they're the H hinges) are to install cabinets right?

I've never used the metal hinges. I think it would be a personal choice as to which ones you used.

The problem I've had, is my arthritic hands can't fiddle with the little nails/screws and make them work. They end up falling off. Some folks use a solvent glue to attach them but then they can have issues opening and closing.

So, instead, I sandwich some Tyvek paper (think the paper that express mail envelopes are made of) or use some suede, leather, chamois, or ribbon, in-between the casings and walls and onto the door. If the door has two parts, you can sandwich it in-between.

If it doesn't have two parts, you can add a bit of trim over the paper hinge. Worst case scenario, if the door opens in, which an exterior door often does, paint over the paper or leather or ribbon to match the door and leave the door open partway so the backside doesn't show.

There are also leather versions and paper versions that look like the hinges that are for decorative purposes only and the door is stationary.

Hmm I think I'll try that and see how it works. Oh and I'm going to be getting wood stain this weekend so I can stain the floors and then add the wallpaper. I still have to glue and clamp the stairs but at least they're halfway assembled. I tried dry fitting the stairs but for some reason they're not fitting. I'm probably going to have to sand down the pegs that go into the inserts and put spackle in to fill the holes. I can't wait to be at the point where I'm decorating my house already though..

Maria, how many times do you have to be told that there's no such thing as a dumb question? If you don't know the answer, it's dumb not to ask! Look at how the doors in the house you live in are hinged. If you must use metal hinges, doing them as butt hinges would be the only way to get them to work because even if you successfull chisel out the wood on both the door edge and the jamb to get a flush fit for the hinge, the heads of those weensy little brads are very slightly rounded and if you use them with the hinges, the hinges will still bind (I found that out after over a half dozen attempts to get them to work; I now prefer using leather strips sandwiched between door parts and frame parts, or pin-hingeing).

• Like 1

Good point! Haha I still thought I'd ask and get your opinion since you all know what you're doing and have more experience than I do. The dollhouse has definitely spoken to me and I think in going to leave out the wall that closes off the kitchen because I personally like an open floor plan (the previous house I lived in was like that so I guess that's why I feel the same way with my dollhouse) but I do intend on making some use out of the wall that I'm leaving out and still using it in some way. I'll post some pictures in a bit to show you guys my slow progress with the house.

... I still thought I'd ask and get your opinion since you all know what you're doing and have more experience than I do. ... I'll post some pictures in a bit to show you guys my slow progress with the house.

We love to share opinions, Marie. No need to apologize for asking. We've been known to express opinions even when not asked! :D

As for slow progress, building a dollhouse is not a race. There's no "slow" involved -- it's whatever speed is comfortable for you.

• Like 2

A late welcome, Marie!!! We are happy to have you here.

As you already know, whatever you need to know - just ask. Someone is always around to answer or least point you in the right direction. This is a great community and I have not once regretted signing up here.