Small fiasco, almost cried.

~morningstar~

Yes it does! I worked on a porch piece for Cool Breeze/D.C. Ashley last night and it was definitely spackle time! After you sand something as much as you can without ruining it and the edges are still rough,the spackle does a great job to give you a wonderful smooth surface to paint! I love that I learned this on the Forum!!

• Like 1

For the French doors and other really skinny repairs, once they're dry and you're getting ready to prep, if they aren't stained (and if you didn't stain them before the break, the glue repair won't let you do it now) you miight want to rub a very thin bit of spackle over the edges and "top" surface of it and let it dry really well before you sand it. It might help strengthen the piece for gentle sanding (think acrylic nail board) and it will give you an incredibly smooth surface for priming and painting.

Thank you for the suggestion, havanaholly. Since I do my own nails, I have a few acrylic nail boards. I can gank one from my nail supplies to use. :D I'll try the spackle idea. THANK YOU! *hugggglesnloves*

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

The acrylic nail board gives a much smoother finish to a spackled surface than regular sandpaper. When I scratch-built a refrigerator and rough sanded the sharp edges and corners off, I gave it a coating of spackle and when it dried I sanded it with sandpaper. Since I wanted it smooth to look like porcelain/ baked enamel when I was done I went back with the nail board. Last of all I finished with a piece of brown paper bag, and then painted it with three coats of gloss white (letting each coat dry thoroughly).

• Like 1

Yes Holly, you are a master builder. W3rd.. :D I would never have considered a brown paper bag.. I like the idea. I was talking to someone last night about using the scrap pieces left over to build cabinets for my kitchen area.. I like the idea.. so what I think I will do is also use them to build the icebox and the 'sink' and counter/flour box and whatever else I can think of.. :) I'll have to look in my books to see if I can find some pictures of period era furniture for farm houses... Maybe I can get some idea of what would be appropriate..

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

That's a great idea Holly... I keep thinking of things I want to make, and getting ideas, of things I can use the left over scrap wood for... I keep thinking about it... I'll come up with a dozen ideas. :D

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

There's tons of images on Pinterest,too,of anything and everything you want to find. Just include Pinterest in the text of what you write for whatever you are searching.(Does that make sense?) Also tons of mini tutorials on Pinterest. You don't have to sign up to look.

I found some really good wood pieces called Skinny Sticks at Walmart in the craft department. They are 1/4 " wide and 5.5" long. They are nicely finished and come 75 in a package. I've been using them to make interior window frames and all sorts of things in my houses since I found them. They would make nice floors and would be good for repair work too. :bear:

I also finish things I'm turning on the lathe with a strip of folded brown paper bag; it leaves the surface as smooth and soft as butter, and I use it on my wood floors instead of lacquer to make them glow.

• Like 1

I used the skinny sticks to do the flooring on the first floor of the Garfield. After putting each one in place, I spent hours, sanding it down and making it all level. It didn't turn out too bad. I will have to remember to ask for a paper bag when I got to the grocery store the next time we go, though. I never thought to try the brown paper bag trick. Interesting, that. Thank you for that suggestion, Holly. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

...is moaning today from doing 4 loads of laundry, and sitting in a very cold lobby, while waiting on the water guy to arrive.

I have an old eight pound sad iron I use when laying floors with the siding strips or skinny sticks. You have to do a little at a time but the iron holds them nice and flat while the glue dries. For window frames, baseboards, etc., no problems. Just glue on as usual.

• Like 1

I did the same thing with a strip of wood that is part of the door frame on the upstairs of the Beacon hill. What I did to re-enforce

It was shove 2 straight pins that I cut the heads off into the wood. I then did exactly as you did, glue, sticks wax paper etc. :)

I found some really good wood pieces called Skinny Sticks at Walmart in the craft department. They are 1/4 " wide and 5.5" long. They are nicely finished and come 75 in a package. I've been using them to make interior window frames and all sorts of things in my houses since I found them. They would make nice floors and would be good for repair work too. :bear:

They make lovely floors. You just have to remember to stagger the joints.

• 2 weeks later...

Who or what is Opal?

There are no curse words coming out of any of our mouths, MorningStar. Holly is right (she always is!)... these are magic words!!!

PS, you did just the right thing to fix your boo boo!