Will stay with 1/12 scale

Just One More

I just brought my completed Willow up from the basement and dusted it off. It's one of my nicer houses, all finished and ready to furnish again. I had made a few changes, closed up the crescent shaped attic windows and upgraded the other windows. It's a big house but light weight and I always liked the double chimneys. I have 11 full size finished houses, only four displayed. I had boxed up the furniture on the others so will have lots to sort through to furnish the Willow. It's wallpapered etc., in Early American style.

I just can't get going on the 1/2 scale. I have boxes of 1/12 scale furniture and accessories and can't see spending more on 1/2 scale furniture. The kind with the detail I like is too expensive. I have two finished Jefferson's downstairs also. The Willow and Jefferson are my favorite style but I have two furnished Westvilles I really like too. I keep them turned to the wall so my Kitties won't get in them. They are back in the bedroom where I can't always watch them. My dog hasn't gotten anything from the dollhouses unless one of the kitties knocks it out. So far it's just pillows and little baskets that Twiggy knocks out. I used to find them under a door or the fridge but now Toby, who I've had for only six months, chews them up.

I put the 1/2 scale pieces in a box and maybe will finish it sometime and leave it empty. It is a pretty house. If I had more room I'd build another 1/12 scale house. The building is so much fun. I haven't been really into the houses in over a year and I really do miss it.

I'm working on my first 1/2 scale Fairfield , and I love the smaller size . I plan on making my own furnishings for it and the 1/2 scale Van Buren that came today . I'll say one thing , the 1/2 scale kits are easier to hide ! :D

• Like 2

I built a Fairfield and it was really nice. I sold it and should have kept it. It had more decorative potential than the 1/2 scale Jefferson. The half scales are easier to hide LOL or display. The smallest 1/12 scale house is the Arthur. For a small house you can get a full kitchen and bathroom in it. I added the Primrose to one I sold a long time ago and it was still not too big.

I know what you mean about building. I really love the process of building the houses.

I also adore half scale and it is my scale of choice, but I understand what you mean about furnishings. I've been collecting them for the last two years, slowly acquiring high quality pieces, and kits to build. For me, the search is a labor of love :) and I don't care if it takes a long time.

• Like 2

I'm lucky I love all scales. I'm moody that way. Some weeks I want to work on a 1/4 scale project, others, 1". Just depends. The fling was a 1" scale totally exciting build. Next week, I'l start a 1/2 scale Buttercup. Unless it gets here sooner :)

To me, it seems different scales accommodate different styles better.

When I made my 1:24 furniture I started with kitchen furniture and the doors and drawers all worked and when I got to the diningrooom I suddenly thought, WHY am I doing this? it's not like playing with 1:12 scalee, where I put things into the drawers and take them out; and getting them to work in 1:24 is a big PIA.

I'm lucky I love all scales. I'm moody that way. Some weeks I want to work on a 1/4 scale project, others, 1". Just depends. The fling was a 1" scale totally exciting build. Next week, I'l start a 1/2 scale Buttercup. Unless it gets here sooner :)

To me, it seems different scales accommodate different styles better.

I like all the scales too and have kits in the other scales in my stash, but for whatever reason I prefer to work in the smaller scales. The Fling felt gigantic after working on the White Rose (and now that I'm back working on it again).

I think you're right about scales and styles. It does seem so. :)

When I made my 1:24 furniture I started with kitchen furniture and the doors and drawers all worked and when I got to the diningrooom I suddenly thought, WHY am I doing this? it's not like playing with 1:12 scalee, where I put things into the drawers and take them out; and getting them to work in 1:24 is a big PIA.

The drawers and cupboards on my 1:24 furniture work and I put stuff in them. I can't resist :lol:

• Like 2

I have to say I love all the scales too... I am really getting hooked on the 1/4 scale houses.... but my favorite is 1/2 scale... I only wish it was easier to find furniture and accessories for them... I go through mood swings and I have had one of each scale in the building process at one time :)

I am a 1/12 scale builder too. I have a Fairfield (already built) but it is just too small for me. I really have no interest in the smaller scale, I can appreciate them, I just don't want them.

Actually it is pretty scary, but I am working on a 1/6 scale shop, and I am LOVING it! Now that is a really dangerous scale to work in as it REALLY takes up a lot of space!

• Like 1

Wouldn't 1/6 scale be about the size for a Barbie? Years ago I saw a 1/6 scale house in Barbie Bazaar magazine, no longer published. It was really fantastic. I wish I had saved the article. It was finished inside and out and looked just like a real house. I have a kitchen in 1/6 scale I used in a book case for one of my Barbies. A whole house would be huge.

I am weighing in on the side of the multi scale people. It seems like there is no middle ground on this one. I say, "Whatever floats your boat.". I am primarily a 1/12 person, but every now and then it is fun to squint through a magnifier and do little, little things.

For those of you that are looking for half scale patterns, try to find "volume 8, A Cabinetmaker's Guide", by Helen Dorsett. Helen and James Dorsett put out a series of pattern books, mostly in 1/12 scale, called "The Scale Cabinetmaker". She did one volume in half inch back in the early 80s. It is full of lots of different mini furniture in that scale. Patterns and photos of each piece. Maybe Alibris would have it or maybe on eBay. Good luck! It's worth the hunt.

• Like 1

For space considerations, I wish I could do the smaller scales. I think they are lovely. I'm blown away as to how you folks can do such tiny things. I really envy you all.

I have so much difficulty with severely arthritic hands that 1:12 scale is extremely hard for me to do the detail work. I could probably build the exterior of a 1:24 but I doubt I could do the trim or decorate it or do the fussy work.

Guess you take what life deals you and go with it. I always have to remind myself that arthritis isn't life threatening when I get to whining and have a pity party.

• Like 1

Selkie, I have arthritic hands too. It's why I stick with lasercut kits; I can't do all the sanding that comes with the regular kits. Little stuff with an emery board, no problem. I also have to use double reading glasses to do the detail work on half scale, and I use tweezers for some of the work, but I love the little jewels that these houses turn into when finished. Working over a tray is the best way to avoid pieces disappearing into the carpet when I drop them :lol:

Space is a limiting factor for me. It's why I (supposedly) have only the one 1:12 scale house. Even though half scale furnishings are a challenge to find, I love that you can still get the kind of details in half scale that you get in one inch scale. I've got a quarter scale kit in my stash, and now several 1:144 scale kits. I'm really amazed just how much is available for quarter scale now!

Sam, I've seen the 1/6 scale houses and they are huge! But delightful! I guess I like all things mini :)

I haven't ventured into Barbie size or larger, but eventually I'll need to. It's really a gas playing around with all the different scales. Casey, I found offprints of the Scale Cabinetmakers at Earth & Tree online a few years ago and got several, including the one for 1:24.

I too, love all scales, and appreciate what I CAN do versus whining about what I can't. It's wonderful how mini's give us the opportunity to work with what is best for us. As for not as much being available in smaller scales, I feel it is the perfect way to control my budget. I'm not drooling over so much :) but... What there is to drool over is well worth it :)

• Like 1

Well, I posted in this thread this morning.......hmmmmmmmm where did my post go? lol
I never thought I would enjoy working with the 1/4 scale because my hands hurt so badly and my tendon in my right hand that I had surgery on is stiff as a board most of the time. I figure it is good therapy to work with the miniatures. After this village though I plan to go back to half scale or full scale. I did not do the insides of the 1/4 scale houses so I know how hard that would have been, particularly trying to furnish it with furniture that small. I agree that the smaller scales take up a lot less space and are easy to display. :)

Well, I posted in this thread this morning.......hmmmmmmmm where did my post go? lol

Dunno about you, but from time to time I've found myself typing a witty and insightful response and then clicking on the red button that sends me to the top of the page instead of the black POST button and then wondering where the post went. In my world, some days are foggier than other days.

• Like 2