Hi Everyone

ConJe01

Firstly, thank you for having a site where you can ask questions and get ideas! I love this site. I am currently building my first dollhouse. It is an Orchid and I'm over halfway thru. My biggest surprise so far is finding a site which has instructions for making stones out of egg cartons. I haven't been following all of the steps, as I used real cement/grout in between the "stones". I sanded everything and it looked great until I went back and filled in around all of the trim. Now I have to go back and re-sand and touch up some of the paint on the trim. I look forward to talking to you guys and building many wee things! Thank you!

I have attached a couple of pics to show close-ups of my egg shell siding. Feel free to offer any advice and/or make any suggestions.

post-42884-0-10295800-1381940993_thumb.j

post-42884-0-78812600-1381941405_thumb.j

CJ

Hi CJ and welcome ! You'll find lots of ideas and great advice here . I'm trying to find enough egg cartons to do some stonework on my Pierce . I look forward to seeing more of your mini works. Happy building ! :bangin:

Welcome! Gee- your first house and you are doing egg carton stones.....I've been at this for a few years now and am reluctant to give it a try. :/ Nonetheless, your stonework looks great so far - and we will look forward to watching your progress. :)

Welcome to the fun,CJ #2 ( :D ) and know that you are in the absolute right place for any help you need or ideas you have to share about your dollhouse build and you'll have lots of fun here,I am sure! I have an Orchid kit waiting patiently,so I will be particularly interested in how you decorate the interior,as part of what charmed me into wanting this kit is the variety of amazing ways others have done it. When you get a chance,if you haven't already, to check out the gallery-especially the Orchid team builds-you'll see what I mean! Kat

Sorry Holly! They are made out of torn pieces of egg carton. It's actually very easy. I watched a video on YouTube and read a little. I didn't get scared so I knew I could probably do it. The only problem is gluing the pieces "stones". It takes forever to do and I haven't done it all at once. I still have a lot of re-sanding to do also.

Thank you everyone! I look forward to showing more pics as I move along.

I would like to ask about viewing albums. I tried to read some and kept getting the popup about not having permission (or something like that). I did a search and found a post where someone else asked. I don't remember, but it had something to do with how many posts(?) you have or membership length. I forget.

CJ

Hi CJ and welcome! I love to do egg carton stones! Unfortunately sometimes it hard to get the egg cartons. They only sell the foam ones here. Anyway, your house is looking good! Have fun looking around in the forum.

I would like to ask about viewing albums. I tried to read some and kept getting the popup about not having permission (or something like that). I did a search and found a post where someone else asked. I don't remember, but it had something to do with how many posts(?) you have or membership length. I forget.

For viewing, as long as you are logged in, it shouldn't matter about the permission to view.

That said, some of us have been having that pop up when we have tried to look at havanaholly's pictures lately.

No one seems to know why. Some cyber glitch apparently.

As to staring an album, you just need to have 5 posts completed and then you can open your own album. Just comment on a couple of things and you'll be all set to go.

Hey Roxxie 2 (and others) You can use drink holders, as someone suggested earlier. Many of the drive-thru restaurants still use them. Although, even though it may just be me in the vehicle and I order three (or more) drinks, it never seems apparent I need a drink holder and I always have to ask for one! LOL If you ask, some places will even give them to you even if you don't have any drinks.

CJ2 :-)

I've included the link to the YouTube video I first ran across for the egg carton walls. In this video, she also talks about using pastels to make the stones look weathered. It is a very informative video with a few ideas you can apply to other projects. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXqkarOpS8

CJ2

With egg carton stones we have a whole new world of mini crafting excitement. It's super easy, one carton goes a long way and it's cheap! As for taking forever to glue the stones on. It can be quick and easy. Try this. I use a sculpting tool to help me. Use Alene's tacky glue. Apply a liberal coat to about a 3" x 5" area. Let it set up 5-10 minutes. Cover with rocks and then use your finger or a sculpting tool to work the edges of the stones until they stick well. I prep my rocks while the glue is setting up and glue the next section before starting on the one I'm ready to rock.

Because of the snafu with my public albums not being viewable by the public I have been adding pictures to my posts. I rub my chalk pastels lightly over sheets of sandpaper to color them for bricks, but for added color effects to bricks, stones, etc, I invested in an uber-fine spice grater and I grate tiny amounts of a couple of colors of pastels over pieces of waxed paper and apply the color with a soft watercolor brush. Afterwards I go over the surface with either a wadded tissue or a cotton ball and then hit it with matte spray sealer.

It isn't just Holly's albums. I haven't kept up with member names,unfortunately,maybe foolishly,but I look at the galleries a lot and have often got the 'Don't have permission' thing-sometimes you go through an album and see all these photos,then suddenly you get to one that says you don't have permission. I may start writing it down when it happens and who the members are,as I only recently found out we should be informing the moderators when it happens. I just figured those members had disabled access to those photos somehow,but not being tech savvy,I really had no idea what it was about,except I couldn't see a number of photos I really wanted to see! I sincerely hope it's fixable.