Greenleaf 1/4 Scale Villages

Roxxie2

Kat you weren't grumpy at all! I didn't take it that way! :)
I will be out and about town and I always carry my camera with me so I will find your tiled roof I am sure!
I haven't worked on minis at all this weekend. I am resting my sore hand and fingers and enjoying the sunshine!!!
The tiled roofs are always red like brick. Hang in there I will get some pictures I am sure!

There a several different types of tiles used out here. Barrel are only one that I have seen. Some are actually ceramic with mexican art painted on them. Next weekend I am going to Santa Fe and I will take pictures of them for you Kat. I think barrel tile are the most common ones used.

Cool! Thanx,Roxy! Meantime,I'm taking Kathie's suggestion and getting my son to really look and see if he can find a photo on the net of what he wants for sure. It may wind up totally off from my vision of it!!

Kat, I looked around town a bit as I was there for the bank today but there wasn't one tiled roof I could see! Tile roofing is very expensive I guess folks around here just go for the metal roofs.

QUESTION Can you paint over acrylic sealer? I use Modge Podge. Thanks :)

...QUESTION Can you paint over acrylic sealer? I use Modge Podge. Thanks :)

ANSWER: Try it. Actually I don't see why you can't use acrylic paint over an acrylic sealer. I've done it for a dimensional effect, but I don't remember now what sealer I used.

The paint was soaking into the cardboard shingles so much I thought if I sealed it then it would stop the soaking. I am letting a coat dry to see how it looks.
Yes, I am using Folk Art acrylic paint and the sealer is acrylic.

Holly, you can paint over acrylic sealer. The sealer was suppose to be MATTE but is was a little shiney. No matter....I just sprayed over again and it looks find!

I finished my first quarter scale Arthur house!!!! :banana: Pictures soon!

• Like 1

Yay! Can't wait to see your finished mini Arthur! Which one is next? (ducking!) ;)

Roxy,thanx for trying to get some real roof tile photos for me. I took Kathie's advice,though,and talked to my son today about the roof and he's going to pick another roof style for the roombox. I'm kinda glad,as I actually couldn't see the clay adobe or barrel (or whatever!:)) tiles on this particular structure,but would do it if he really stuck to that. So he's going to look at real life roofs locally and on the net and let me know. Sorry you wasted some time,but I do appreciate it! :)

Kat, no time wasted.....I enjoy looking around at different houses and ideas!

I think I will make the little church next. It reminds me of the one I attended as a child. :)

I have a few things to touch up and I will be adding decorations etc after I finish the village.......if my hands allow me to finish that is.

• Like 1

I posted the completed picture of my quarter scale Arthur in my gallery. I decided not to add the chimney and I do plan to decorate the entire Village for Christmas ( or as much of it as I have completed)
I started the church this afternoon......sanding, painting, sanding, painting................. :crazyeyes: I need a break!

• Like 1

Remind me,Roxy,how many houses are in this set? I know there are 3 different sets,right? I am so glad you had such a great result with the Arthur and I know the church will be just as as sweet-just hope your hands are feeling better! (hug)

Kat there are 6 buildings in the set. I am thinking I have to get the Santa Village because even though there are duplicates of the school and church I would like the Farm House and the Orchid. lol I am hopeless!

I had surgery on my right hand after breaking a tendon in my middle finger this winter. Its still very stiff and I definitely have been over using it but I am having so much fun its worth it! I spent an hour and a half trying to make stained glass windows for the church but my idea didn't work out. While I was watching tv tonight I just thought of a much easier way to do it.....I think! :glare:

post-26465-0-38777900-1377663137_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here's the other village I might like to get when I save up a bit. I realize there is a school and a church in this set also but I like the other buildings included especially the little Orchid.

post-26465-0-50425900-1377663444_thumb.j

• Like 1

Stop it,stop it,stop it!: Now I want that mini Orchid,too! :wub: I have seen photos of it before,but outta sight,outta-you know! LOL Now that I am working again,if this job lasts awhile,maybe I could get a set...But,I am so bad at starting one thing and not finishing before I begin another and I have about 5 things to at least get a good distance on before...oh,crud,I really want the village with the Orchid now! :inlove: Yikes! Hey,I hope your idea for easier stained glass windows pans out-let us know! 'Easier' is always good! :thumbup:

Roxy, most small towns in the South have at least two churches! Here's the other set of mini houses (modified Orchid, Brimble's and Storybook Cottage):

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/ZoomImageEx.aspx?productid=VK8108&image=Village Kits/8018_Greenleaf-Town_600.jpg

Holly I think thats the set someone offered me and at that moment I couldn't get it.......I should have! If I could remember who offered it to me I would go back and see if they still wanted to sell it to me. My advanced age makes me forget everything it seems!

For the stained glass I am just coloring it in with pastel markers. I tried painting them yesterday and it was a mess. I know some people dye them but that is way beyond my patience level.

Kat, I know some times GL offers a coupon off the kits. I am waiting for that I guess. In the mean time I am having fun with this one! :)

• Like 1

Kathryn.......you read my mind! Just after I posted here I checked my email and HBS sent me a 20% coupon! I just ordered the Santa's Village! I had a small gift certificate amount left over from sometime so I got the village! I am so excited! I have enough Quarter Scale houses to last me a while! I am doing a happy dance!!! :banana: I haven't splurged on any dollhouse kits in ages! I am back!

• Like 1

Kathryn.......you read my mind! Just after I posted here I checked my email and HBS sent me a 20% coupon! I just ordered the Santa's Village! I had a small gift certificate amount left over from sometime so I got the village! I am so excited! I have enough Quarter Scale houses to last me a while! I am doing a happy dance!!! :banana: I haven't splurged on any dollhouse kits in ages! I am back!

So which one are you starting next? The Pine Mountain Village (Santa's?) has the Orchid in it. :D

Debora....I am working on the Greenleaf Village I am working on the church now. Knowing me I will probably have to finish this kit before I dive into the Santa's Village ( although don't hold me to that!) I might have to do the little Orchid when I get the Santa kit.
Its so darned cute I couldn't resist! :)

I am having a dyslexic afternoon. I worked on my little church for over 2 hours and all was going well until I came to the steeple. The middle section I could NOT figure out what the directions meant on how to fold the stupid piece. I finally figured it out but now I have to make a new piece because I mutilated the one that came with the kit. :doh: I do this hobby to relax.......right? Thanks for listening to me rant...all better now! :lol:

• Like 2