Greenleaf 1/4 Scale Villages

Roxxie2

I haven't made up any of mine yet, but I've seen some of the finished ones at train shows, and they do not open in back, nor are finished inside' although I do plan to hinge the back walls and add floors and walls when I build mine.

Well, you just sent me down a rabbit trail! :dog: I made a train village quite awhile ago, but it has been in storage for many years because when we moved I didn't have a place to put my train layout. So I went looking for pictures of it, which I couldn't find, and figured it was faster to get the little houses out and photograph them "in person" - which I did! However, I see that mine was not the Greenleaf kit, unless they had a different one about 18-20 years ago. And, as Holly said, they are enclosed on all sides. I wish I knew now what kit I bought. :)

LOL You Guys! I have to say I missed you!!! I just wanted to make a little Christmas Village but I am thinking I would have to leave off the back wall and add floors inside. Sigh.........

Someone on this forum finished the inside and hinged the back of the Arthur and it's darling. Here's the photo but I can't remember who did it. I saved it for inspiration :)

post-15386-0-38789400-1375144946_thumb.j

That's right, it's Tracy's (Mini's on the Edge)!

I started to build the GL Village and was going to either hinge the back or leave it off. I guess it depends on how you feel about it. There are positives either way. I know there are one or two people in the forum who have finished the insides. I just can't find the pics or the posts.

Did a search in the gallery and came up with these. Scroll thru the albums to see other views.

Here is one set of pics from Grynche

Here is the one shown above in the album from Minis on the Edge

Here is one of the village Orchids from Llyn

Here is just front views from Esther.

Here is a back view of one of the Arthurs in More Minis album.

Here is a quarter scale Sugar Plum from Minis on the Edge - I don't think it's part of the village sets but it shows what you can do with 1/4 scale.

Hopefully that will be a start for some of you that are still looking for these.

Oh Gosh those are really cute! Selki thanks for looking for all those links! I am in love with quarter scale lately. They are so cute and take up a lot less space.

:)

One of the reasons I love half scale!

There was an article in one of the Greenleaf newsletters that I think was written by Tracy about the different models available in quarter scale that are in the three village kits.

• Like 1

Me too! The half scale is a lot of fun and its all contained in a small space. I usually have to make most of my half scale furnishings but I love doing that part of it anyway. Sometimes I would prefer if someone else built the house and I just decorated it!

I just ordered this set Holly Posted using a 20% coupon from Miniatures.com. I decided I NEEDED the little Arthur and the Sugarplum because I built the regular ones and they were crushed in the boxes in the move :( I think this will make a great Christmas Village.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhhhhhhh the sound of sand paper, broken fingernails, splinters , dust.......achew!!!! Heaven!

Questions!!!! There aren't many instructions with the Village kit. It says to glue the plastic windows to the inside of the house. How do you keep the paint off the windows while you are painting outside???? I always put the windows in last in my dollhouses but this time I think I need to assemble and then paint. I am a SLOB when I paint! :dunno:

I know Holly, there are no dumb questions but I might have just asked one! I am new to building GL houses I always did RGT houses.
My fingers hurt.......going to sit and think about colors for a while! :)

Are you going to finish off the insides of the 1:48 houses? And is there any reason you can't build the shell without putting the floor in until last, and then gluing on the plastic windows after you've built the shell and painted whatever you want to paint (or otherwise finish) and then attach the floor?

• Like 1

I don't think that I am going to finish the interiors. I just want to make a village of buildings for our HO Trains. I thought of that or leaving the back off but the building it too unstable without the bottom I think. I taped the whole thing together and I can't figure how to glue it together without the windows. I may have to glue them in and then cover each window with paper somehow and pray that I don't get glue or paint on them. OR I could glue them to the outside at the end and then hide the plastic window edges with the trim? Sheesh! I always have to make things hard! :doh:

The other question is: What kind of tape sticks the best for you? I have some regular masking tape that doesn't stick to the wood at all!

I learned the hard way,if you want it to hold up,spend some money on your masking tape! I believe I got my current roll at Walmart or Lowe's. It's one of the very few times I have experienced that price can matter,so if you went with dollar store tape like I usually do,swap up! I hope you have fun with your kit- I would love to see photos of the village set up with your trains when you're finished!

• Like 1