Greenleaf 1/4 Scale Villages

Roxxie2

Holly I sure wish that I had a supply source. I can't even find skinny sticks. ....

Roxy, you can get the wooden stir sticks on Amazon. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wooden+stir+sticks&sprefix=Wooden+stir+%2Caps%2C268

I have two sizes, the Royal square ended ones which are perfect for half scale and would work for quarter scale floors, and the slightly larger ones that have rounded ends which work well for one inch scale.

• Like 2

Thanks Debora! I wonder if they would work for quarter scale? I am going to order some......one package will last me forever at 1000 sticks!! :)

Roxy, the smallest I've got are the Royal. They are approximately 5.5 inches long by 5/32" wide by slightly thicker than 1/32" thick. In half scale these work beautifully as the equivalent to about a 4 inch wide board for floors or baseboards, etc. in quarter scale it would be the equivalent of an 8" wide plank for floors which is definitely acceptable. I've seen RL floors with boards as wide as 12 to 14 inches.

The other ones that are made by Solo are birch and their dimensions are about 7" long at the rounded end, 1/4 inch wide, and slightly less than 1/16 inch thick. At 1/4 inch wide it's the equivalent of a six inch wide board at half scale and a 12 inch wide board at quarter scale.

It's good to order them by the box. There will be a lot of slightly curved sticks and some with rough surface textures. There is also some color variation. With the large quantity I can pick through when I need really pristine ones. For other things I just lightly sand them when I want a smoother surface.

Hope this helps :)

I will definitly order a package of each!! I really need the thin ones to cover the seams and cracks! I haven't had any time this weekend to work on my projects but tomorrow I will get back to it! I hope you are having a good weekend too! :)

• Like 1

I just posted in my gallery my Quarter Scale Arthur what I have done so far. Don't laugh! :D

No reason to laugh. It's darling! :D

It's funny how it looks bigger than it is. You might want to take another photo with something next to the house that gives the viewer perspective. I've had to do this on my half scale houses in order to capture their petite scale. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Kat! I managed to get the porch on today. The braces broke so I had to figure out how to built supports to hold the porch. Then, the instructions tell you to put the door on and if you do that then the tab that fits into the door way fills the space and the door won't fit. So I cut off the tab and just glued the porch to the wall. The same thing happened with the instructions for the gable trim. It tells you to glue on the shutters first, only to find out that the gable doesn't have space if you put the shutters on first. The shutters have to fit over the gable trim! If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't have had all these glitches.
I do better looking at the pictures on the box instead of reading the instructions. Does anyone else find this or is it just me being dense??? :doh:

Hi Roxy. Your house is looking very cute. I dry fit things repeatedly for the very reasons you are saying. Most of these houses can be built several different ways. I like looking at Gina's blog and seeing how she will approach a build (since she has a step by step for each house) :)

I learned my lesson!!! I am now taping the roof parts and I always struggle with the roofing ( shingling). I am going to take this step really slow and careful!

If I had known how cute these little houses are I would have built them sooner! I am already planning on ordering another set when I have a coupon from HBS.

I want that little Orchid afterall!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Hol

The snafus are what make it fun........right? :cheezy:

Question

I like to draw guide lines for the shingles. I can't seem to find anywhere in the instructions that tell you how far apart to draw the lines for the rows of shingles. If you have made this house, how far apart did you place the rows of shingles? Thanks

• Like 1

This is coming out adorable. I have all three sets of villages but they are hidden away for a rainy day.

After looking into the boxes when they first came and being a bit disheartened, I have never dreamed they could look this good.

I'm thinking maybe I should hunt them up and join in the fun - of course I really need to finish the SF first and then there's the ..... and the .... and the .... and on and on (all the UFO's lying around this place).

sigh ....

Considering a lot of the trim is paper it looks pretty good. I reinforced a lot of it because I am a little skeptical that paper trim isn't going to hold up but that's just me being paranoid. They are very detailed and just the diminutive size really attracts me. I hope to get the other sets. I turned down an offer to get another one of the sets ....can you say DUH???

• Like 1

More questions........I have a lot don't I??

Shingling....

When shingling.......do you start from the gable and work out to the outer edge or from the edge towards the gable??? I forget!!!!!! :dunno:

• Like 1

I work from the left edge of the roof, bottom to top. I have only built the 1:12 Arthur; I took one of the shingles and laid it so one short end was flush with the roof bottom and marked along the top of the shingle; I did this on each end of the row and dres my first line. then I lapped the shingle 1/3 to 1/4 over the first line to mark for the second (I did a few rows of straight shingles, with a 1/4 overlap, and a few rows of scalloped shingles with a 1/3 overlap, alternating, to use up the two kinds). and drew that line. Then I measured the same amount to mark the rest of the rows. My gable gutters always look like heck because I eyeball them.

Gee,Roxy,I wish I could help you figure the answer for shingling your 1/4" scale roof! I have yet to do my first 1" scale roof,but I'm filing all this other advice away for later. I'm lousy in math,but I guess you have to scale it down from 1" scale unless someone with 1/4" scale experience can help!! Somebody!?